Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: I do have muscle atrophy...So Now I am freaked out of ALS! :(  (Read 15593 times)

Offline ahenso02

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have been diagnosed with GAD for about 6 years now. Had panic attacks for 2 years straight. No more of those, just bad anxiety. I tend to be a over thinker and always think something is wrong with me. Of course about a year ago, I went through the fear of MS. Well I made it past that, and now I am hooked on this fixation of ALS.

When my daughter was born 18 months ago, I had an epidural. The nurse did not realize I had a small curve in my spine, and missed the first time around, so I got a wonderful 2nd stick, yay! About a month after the birth, I realized that my left knee had lost alot of feeling in it. It was pretty numb to the touch. Went to my doctor, she said it might have been nerve damage from the epidural, and if it was not causing any problems then dont worry about it.

So, about 4 months ago, same leg, I realize I have a very large indention above my knee in my thigh. It runs on the left of the thigh. When thigh is flexed its not there, but relaxed, its obvious that there is muscle atrophy.

My twitches started a month ago. In my thighs, calves, arms, stomach, and face. I have the buzzing feeling on the side of my tongue and pins and needles in my fingers and lips. So with this I get online (the twitching), and up pops ALS. And here I am...FREAKING OUT!

Went to the doctor last week. He said that I DID have DEFINATE MUSCLE ATROPHY. And is getting a cat scan of my brain next week. I am very worried. Im a 27 y.o. female.

I would not be so scared if the atrophy wasnt there. But that coupled with all the other symptoms has got me and my mind in a whirlwind. I know the chances and statistics are very low. I worked online for 5 years, and im hoping the atrophy is from crossing my leg everyday at the desk? This is what my hubby seems to think, who knows.

Has anyone else had definate atrophy and not had anything wrong!??

THanks  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I do have muscle atrophy...So Now I am freaked out of ALS! :(
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
i just replied to your other post-----

and i want to add...that i just had a baby 5 weeks ago---and i to had to get stuck twice with the needle during the spinal! ouch not fun! lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline nicknd

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:46:50 AM »
I have been diagnosed with GAD for about 6 years now. Had panic attacks for 2 years straight. No more of those, just bad anxiety. I tend to be a over thinker and always think something is wrong with me. Of course about a year ago, I went through the fear of MS. Well I made it past that, and now I am hooked on this fixation of ALS.

When my daughter was born 18 months ago, I had an epidural. The nurse did not realize I had a small curve in my spine, and missed the first time around, so I got a wonderful 2nd stick, yay! About a month after the birth, I realized that my left knee had lost alot of feeling in it. It was pretty numb to the touch. Went to my doctor, she said it might have been nerve damage from the epidural, and if it was not causing any problems then dont worry about it.

So, about 4 months ago, same leg, I realize I have a very large indention above my knee in my thigh. It runs on the left of the thigh. When thigh is flexed its not there, but relaxed, its obvious that there is muscle atrophy.

My twitches started a month ago. In my thighs, calves, arms, stomach, and face. I have the buzzing feeling on the side of my tongue and pins and needles in my fingers and lips. So with this I get online (the twitching), and up pops ALS. And here I am...FREAKING OUT!

Went to the doctor last week. He said that I DID have DEFINATE MUSCLE ATROPHY. And is getting a cat scan of my brain next week. I am very worried. Im a 27 y.o. female.

I would not be so scared if the atrophy wasnt there. But that coupled with all the other symptoms has got me and my mind in a whirlwind. I know the chances and statistics are very low. I worked online for 5 years, and im hoping the atrophy is from crossing my leg everyday at the desk? This is what my hubby seems to think, who knows.

Has anyone else had definate atrophy and not had anything wrong!??

THanks  :sprachlos020:

Something seems odd....I am in NO way second guessing your neuro, but how do you have muscle atrophy that just disappears when you flex the muscle? I always thought actual muscle atrophy was there all the time, meaning you'd be able to notice how much smaller the muscle was even when you flexed it. I know you're fixated on ALS because google seems to tell you the only possible cause for atrophy is ALS, but you're missing one major thing -- you have no weakness, even after 18 months. Spine issues can cause neuro problems as can 1000000 other things. We'd have a lot more people walking around with ALS if ALS was the only cause of atrophy. I can tell you with 100% certainty the number of people walking around with some kind of atrophy somewhere by far outnumbers the number of people who have ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »
I rather agree with nick...

my daughter absolutely has muscle atrophy.  Her muscle is atrophied no matter how she flexes her leg. you can have a look at her left leg in a pic in the gallery here.

obviously doc doesn't htink you have ALS.  MRIs don't diagnose that.  At most I think you may have a localized muscle issue at the knee.  Major neuro diseases affect an entire muscle--not just a small section of muscle
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline MJG03

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
I had atrophy in my shoulder after having an HPV shot in my arm. It looked like a big chunk had been taken out of my shoulder. I went to the doctor and an orthopedist. Niether had any idea why the shot would have caused it. It took a long time to go away. Almost a year.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahenso02

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have not seen a neuro yet, only my regular doctor. If the CT comes back normal, he is sending me over to a neurologist. Here are all my symptoms

Dent in thigh, he said it was muscle atrophy, when i am relaxed, it like a large indetion in the side of my thigh. not on the other thigh at all. WHen I stand, and flex my thigh muscles, they appear identical, you can see no dent in my thigh at all. The GP did not ask me to flex, so he did not see that it disappeared from what I remember of the visit.

Constant muscle spasms/twitches throughout my body

Overall weakness, esp in right arm, its sore, but I am a photographer so I type, edit, take pictures alot, and I play flute for 8 years. I know I have slight Carpal Tunnel. I think I am wearing my body down to from worrying/anxiety.

Slurred speech, started 2 weeks ago. I get words mixed up. Instead of saying Joes crab shack, i said joes shab crack. Stuff like that. Sometimes I try to talk and it just does not come out like I want.

Pins and needles in fingers, between shoulder blades, on tongue, lips, and chin area.

My tongue worrys me as it always feels heavy, and dry, the tingling is on the side, and tip, and comes and goes.

Clumbsiness. I have been dropping my cell phone like crazy. No other weakness is apparant. I still open things fine. Just feel overall blah, tired, wore out.

CT is next Wednesday. I hate they are doing a CT rather than an MRI, I am stressing on that too.

Thanks for all the help :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline nicknd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
Overall weakness, esp in right arm, its sore, but I am a photographer so I type, edit, take pictures alot, and I play flute for 8 years. I know I have slight Carpal Tunnel. I think I am wearing my body down to from worrying/anxiety.

Slurred speech, started 2 weeks ago. I get words mixed up. Instead of saying Joes crab shack, i said joes shab crack. Stuff like that. Sometimes I try to talk and it just does not come out like I want.

Pins and needles in fingers, between shoulder blades, on tongue, lips, and chin area.

My tongue worrys me as it always feels heavy, and dry, the tingling is on the side, and tip, and comes and goes.

Clumbsiness. I have been dropping my cell phone like crazy. No other weakness is apparant. I still open things fine. Just feel overall blah, tired, wore out.

CT is next Wednesday. I hate they are doing a CT rather than an MRI, I am stressing on that too.

Thanks for all the help :)

ALS does not hit you everywhere, so that is a good indicator it's not ALS. I had some minor health things (virus, low vitamin D at the same time) and I just woke up one morning fatigued and "weak" (lasted for a little over a month), but it's clear you don't have clinical weakness from what you describe. If you had weakness in your hands from ALS, you wouldn't be turning car keys, opening the jelly jar, opening soda bottles, you get the point. As for your "slurring" of speech, I really don't think you need to worry; 1) you can't have bulbar onset AND limb onset start at the same time, it starts in one place and spreads, 2) other people would be mentioning it. I always think im slurring my speech, yet I've had people listen to me speak and they can't hear the slightest slur of any word. Your mind can play tricks on you.

Your other symptoms, such a messing up words, dropping things, etc... sound like my life story. I drop things ALL the time. I'll drop my phone when opening it, drop my car keys when grabbing them off a desk, all that fun stuff. I mess up my words A LOT on some days, other days I have no trouble speaking at all. It honestly sounds to me like anxiety.

And like I said before, I'm not understanding how you have atrophy if your legs look them same when flexed. I'd wait for the neuro to make the call on that one...
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommyL

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
I am in 100% agreement with Nick. This is not the story of someone with ALS I promise. Other than what you said about the supposed atrophy in your thigh above your knee, you sound like and exact duplicate of myself, and my symptoms started not long after I had my baby by C-section two years ago. Twitcing all over, fatigue, buzzing, tingling, random numbness, zaps, zings, stiffness, and horrible sleep starts. I've been a mess for over a year. I've had all the tests, MRIs, EMGs, Blood work, CT scans, X-rays. Nothing has shown except my B12 was high, and I have a smidge of scoliosis. BFS is the best I could get :fragend005:

True Atrophy would be apparent whether you flexed the muscle or not, and there would have to be some loss of function. If muscle is missing or disappearing, then so would some function. And as Nick stated, there is NO way ALS is going to start all over your body like that, NO WAY, Promise.

Dont stress over ALS, thats not what you got going on. I truly believe you will end up with a benign dxs.

Take care

Robynn :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:04:36 PM »
yep!! i agree==all of us commenting on this thread have been there and done that down the ALS road- (im still not fully recovered from it) i still think about it from time to time...but it gets easier......easier to believe our drs, easier to ignore the symptoms and easier to not obsess over ridiculous, rare far fetched diseases.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahenso02

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:49:01 AM »
Well reading your comments makes me feel soooo much better. I am a hypochondriac in denial, and I know. I start counseling/therapy next week thank the lord!! I need drugs to help me Im afraid. Im so sick of thinking Im dying! Or going to be a vegetable. First Brain Tumor, then MS, the two young people locally died of menangitis and that set it OFFF....I mean REALLLY OFF!! I was at the ER 3 times that week thinking I had menangitis from a rash I got (yeast infection from an antibiotic), and now its back to MS and ALS...

LORD HELP US!! HAHAHAHA :)

Thanks so much everyone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
yes most of what you are talking about is anxiety issues.  ALS doesn't strike all over.  And based on the doc ordering a CTscan, he doesn't think it is ALS either. 

I have a dent in my upper left thigh--it is about 1 inch wide.  It isn't ALS.  I've had all that you describe.  I have an anxiety disorder.  Your "atrophy" is, again, likely a localized muscle issue NOT a neuro/muscular disease
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
Sorry I know this is an old thread! But was wondering if you ever found out what was going on with your thigh? I also have a dent in my thigh. Outer thigh. I just noticed it today...no idea how long it's been there. I have even having nuerologic issues..tingling, intermittant weakness, all over twitching. Have had bloodwork,mris, numerous nuerologic exams( by family doc and nuerologist) everything has come back normal. I just started feeling better and then I find this dent and can't stop thinking about it! What could this be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 11:18:35 PM »
Indents in your muscle/skin are just simple bodily things that happen. With als or other muscle and nerve diseases, atrophy happens AFTER the affected area has lost all function, which your function is fine! Trust me I've been down this road and learned alot from it!
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 05:41:28 AM »
Indents in your muscle/skin are just simple bodily things that happen. With als or other muscle and nerve diseases, atrophy happens AFTER the affected area has lost all function, which your function is fine! Trust me I've been down this road and learned alot from it!

Thanks!  It's funny just 2 days ago I noticed and indent in my calf on the right side below the knee, it's only on the right leg (plus the right knee cap is numb - the SKIN is, if I pull the skin up higher the knee cap itself has feeling, but the skin doesn't) - then I read this thread last night and ended up super checking my leg for about 5 minutes!  I was doing deep knee bends, standing on my toes, etc! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 08:39:15 AM »

Yes, you have been down this road!!!:) I remember replying to many of your posts from a few years ago when you were pretty certain you were going to meet up with a terrible ending. You're a good person to help out here on this thread:) You are still alive and kickin' when you were near positive you had a nasty neuro disease. Hell, I'm still alive and kickin' (and doing very well) well over 25 years after I was sure I was going to have my heart blow up right in my chest. My heart is just groovy.....and it ALWAYS was!:)

PEace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: