Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Letter to Anxiety  (Read 4279 times)

Offline realityiscliche

• Rec's: 5
  • Here to help.
    • Poke This Member
Letter to Anxiety
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting this in but it says "writing" so I figured it would fit here and would give everyone with any type of anxiety a chance to let out their frustrations. So this sounds kind of silly but I wrote a letter to my anxiety down on paper a few days ago out of frustration and it really helped. I encourage you to write and share your letter on this post! It can be optimistic, angry, and doesn't even have to make sense to anyone but you. I'll start the first one.
Bookmark and Share
"Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet, I have just one day - today, and I'm going to be happy in it." -Groucho Marx

Offline realityiscliche

• Here to help.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Letter to Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »
Dear Health Anxiety,
You have brought me 3 years of fear and frustration, especially in this last year. With my parents divorce, my dogs passing, and the struggles through first semester of college you were always there to hold me back from getting back on my two feet. You were always there to knock me down and make me scared. I wish you weren't around, I wish that you would not be here. Why me? Growing up I was so full of life, I felt as if I was indestructible and invincible but you came along and shattered the person that I once was. You have made me isolated and selfish. You make me worry about myself way too much, and hold me back from caring about others. You make me worry about my physical health, when I really should be concerned about my mental and emotional health. I want you to leave. I want to be happy again. It's hard to hold onto optimism when you're constantly there. I want to be able to go out with my friends and not be anxious and I want to.. I want to live.
Sincerely, Reality 
Bookmark and Share
"Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet, I have just one day - today, and I'm going to be happy in it." -Groucho Marx

Offline LuisAlbertoSuárez7

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
That's a great idea! I will write one and post it later.

Great letter, btw.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskay

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »
Thank reality this is great.

Dear Anxiety,

I'd like to be free again.  You began so suddenly and haunt my relationship.  You ended one and have followed me to the next.  I want to be free of you so that I can love like I used to, carefree and youthful.  Now I worry, I'm constantly concerned, and I do not trust myself.  These men are not the problem, it is you.  You hold me behind walls and rarely let me see light, when will you end?  What do I need to do to stamp you out forever?  I have been discouraged by you so much that I have convinced myself I can spend my life alone and be alright.  This is not me; the romantic, the lover, the carefree girl I used to be.  I want you to go away.

Kay
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
Dear Health Anxiety,
You have brought me 3 years of fear and frustration, especially in this last year. With my parents divorce, my dogs passing, and the struggles through first semester of college you were always there to hold me back from getting back on my two feet. You were always there to knock me down and make me scared. I wish you weren't around, I wish that you would not be here. Why me? Growing up I was so full of life, I felt as if I was indestructible and invincible but you came along and shattered the person that I once was. You have made me isolated and selfish. You make me worry about myself way too much, and hold me back from caring about others. You make me worry about my physical health, when I really should be concerned about my mental and emotional health. I want you to leave. I want to be happy again. It's hard to hold onto optimism when you're constantly there. I want to be able to go out with my friends and not be anxious and I want to.. I want to live.
Sincerely, Reality

This is an element of CBT, as I understand the protocol ---except it glosses over an essential element that you may want to consider: refutation, writing out in unequivocal terms why your negative thoughts are wrong, contradicting yourself. 
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Offline realityiscliche

• Here to help.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:52:29 PM »
Could you put that into simple terms? I don't see as to how I've contradicted myself but I also don't know if I read your response right.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lanie

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
Hi reality :action-smiley-065:

Thanks for sharing your letter - very powerful! The same to you as well Kay!

Remember that you can beat your anxiety, one step at a time. Therapy, meds, exercise, a hobby, social support, friends and family, volunteering, a passion,  journaling, whatever it takes, you CAN do it!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Carryon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
Could you put that into simple terms? I don't see as to how I've contradicted myself but I also don't know if I read your response right.

You make me worry about myself way too much, [Refutation: No, I am the one who allows that to happen.]and hold me back from caring about others. [Refutation: No, I do care about others and anxiety shouldn't stop me.] You make me worry about my physical health, when I really should be concerned about my mental and emotional health. [Refutation: No, that's wrong. I shouldn't worry about any of those things because I am okay and worrying won't help. I want you to leave. I want to be happy again. [Refutation: Anxiety is not a person to leave; I allow it to exist by thinking this way and I should stop.] It's hard to hold onto optimism when you're constantly there. [Refutation: Some anxiety is normal and it does not prevent optimism.] I want to be able to go out with my friends and not be anxious and I want to.. I want to live. [Refutation: Nothing is stopping me but myself, not anxiety; I can do these things even if I am anxious.]
Bookmark and Share

Offline realityiscliche

• Here to help.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
Thank you! That really did help me and I can see as to how you would think my letter is contradicting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carryon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »
Thank you! That really did help me and I can see as to how you would think my letter is contradicting.

Your letter was not contradictory but in a sense "incomplete".  "Contradict" or "refute" your negative thoughts; that's what I meant.
Bookmark and Share

Offline realityiscliche

• Here to help.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »

Your letter was not contradictory but in a sense "incomplete".  "Contradict" or "refute" your negative thoughts; that's what I meant.

Yes, I agree. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Singh_2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »
Dear anxiety,

Go away.

Kind Regards,

Singh_2
Bookmark and Share

Offline SeriX

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »
Dear anxiety
                    Its hard to know what to write because its so unexplainable how I feel, you hit me like a strike of lightening, it was overwhelming and haunting. My body felt like there was poison spreading throughout each vien. I gasped for air, I cried, I couldnt control any part of my body and I lost all sense of control, I thought.. is this it? why me?.... why me?  My brain felt like a valley of fog and I couldnt see or feel anything, felt tremendous frightening feelings that I can never explain even to myself, my heart pumped so hard and I felt like my air was running out and my time was running out.

So many times you pushed me to the floor, you kicked any happiness from me, you taunted me and I just lay there and cry but yet you just loved to watch me go through this, I felt angry and frustrated, all I wanted was for you to leave and not come back but it felt like you would never leave me :(

You have so much power over me, more power then anything and I hate you for what you put me through. Being so young, a student, and enjoying life I feel you took it away in the click of a finger, but there was light at the end of the tunnel....

Thank you for, for making me see my true friends, the people who love me and for seeing the strength I have inside me and the passion I have for life... when your young you tend to dismiss some things but now I never do, I look outside when its sunny and smile because of the warmth it brings me and I try to see the positives each day, I see every day as a beautiful thing, I have lost friends because of their unpleasant feelings towards you but thats where true friends come out and help you battle a fight like this.. and I finally can see who they are, the people who love me and that I have a future a head of me.

I finally feel no fear of you, there is no point you trying because I will show you the door, you will never control me again and I plan on living my life on how I want without you - because I can! I know you will always be in the distance and I welcome you to drop by for a cup of tea but dont expect to stay for long as I have things to do and a life to live!

Good bye

SeriX
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
Wow...awesome letters peeps:) Very emotional and truly heartfelt.

I feel this is a great process for "accepting" anxiety, perhaps. Anxiety IS here, with us. Anxiety will, most likely, be with us. The dominating fear DOESN'T have to be with us, though:) So, in writing these letters we are addressing something that is part of our makeup. And IMHO, we, still do, have some guidance over what influence (or how much) we let things that are part of our makeup define our, overall, well-being and outlook:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline melandgracie

• I am who I am
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
Anxious Kay- great letter- It is how I feel. i find when i start to like someone i push him away by asking questions and being insecure. i hate myself and anxiety for these worries. i also want to love carefree and trust and let it just BE............... :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: