Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How long can you take antidepressant medication?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline sweet_girl_102_ca

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How long can you take antidepressant medication?
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:26:27 PM »
Hi there! !
I was asking my doctor how long can you take antidepressants, in this case for me - Mirtazapine 60 mg, ... I've been on it for almost a year... ... maybe 9 months, prior to that a month and half worth of venlafaxine 75mg.... (switched, as it was actually surpressing my appitite), ...and my body is very comfortable with the mirtazapine, (a blessing is what it is)......(and this is from someone who is not big up on taking medication in general in the first place.., but this stuff is godsend to say the least), sometimes there's only so much natural approaches to making your self better , that you can take, when sometimes you've just gotta ask for it and get help, and in this case , thats what I did a year ago, and am soooo happy I did,....), what took me so long..... well...... I think it took me to my loweste eb, - to actually reach out and say I need some help, and also learn'd some things about my self, that I was aware of but didn't think it was something, when it really was......and thats where I've found out about anxiety, and then how depression and low mood, and anxiety, can go hand and hand... odd combo but it's what it is... and how it is.  So how long can you actually be on these...... I"m think I should have been years ago, and then i'd actually start enjoying what life is all about..... I've missed out on a life I've yet to live , and now trying to just start enjoying what was there all-along and seeing and feeling it for the first time , even thoe I thought I was... but really haden't been enjoying life not much  at all........ So can i take mirtazapine for the rest of my life, , ??? I think I'm gonna need too...... so is it safe for my body as well??? , my doctor says it is , but ... i just wanna know what others thing, as well .... like i say it's a blessing how they help and work! :angel-smiley-006: :-*
[/font]
Bookmark and Share

Offline GraspingHope

• Survivor
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How long can you take antidepressant medication?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
In my experience as a patient I find that doctors generally do not want you on some meds that are controlled substances for too long. BUt as for the rest, there are people that hjave been on  meds for decades. It depends on your body. Some medicines work for a few years and then your body builds a tolerance and they cease helping. Then your doctor switches up.

Obviously you want to speak to not just any doctor, but one with mental health tretament insight, and ask his for a better answer than that which I can give.
Bookmark and Share
This will not defeat me. There is hope. There is relief.

Offline Grandma

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How long can you take antidepressant medication?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »
Hi sweet girl -

I've been on antidepressants for 20 years, and look forward to taking them for maybe 20 more!

Love, Grandma
Bookmark and Share

Tags: