Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Connecting with 'YOU' Again  (Read 2103 times)

Offline commander

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Connecting with 'YOU' Again
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:53:56 AM »
When I became unwell due to working too hard, drinking too much and generally keeping 'bad house', for the first time in my life, I had to think, where I had come from and where I was going from there-on. In the depths of my 'illness', I had to try to take stock of the situation and put togther a structure of action to climb back out of the hole and rediscover my happy, anxiety-free, non-depressed self. Here are a few points regarding descending into illness and pulling back from it.

Being struck with an anxious and depressed mind (let's throw in some OCD and hypercondria too) is usually the most devastating point in anyone's life and those who have not been there at least once in their lives cannot grasp the wretched nature of it. Sudden traumatic events and/or (in my case) the drip-drip effect of a stressful life supported by a bad diet, no rest or recreation and too much alcohol can render the mind's mental defences ineffective in coping with incoming and unfolding events. By mental defences, I mean, a collection of learnt, assured, tried and tested values and experiences that shape and confirm an equilibrium of events verses our feelings towards them. It's a finely tuned support structure* that reassures the mind and body that daily non-threatening activities (driving, flying, working) are benign and are generally not worth the bother. With a traumatic or the drip-drip effect, that network of mental/emotional protection is stripped away to reveal a frightened and traumatised individual whose previous experiences apparently count for very little. The new feelings of wretchedness are new and confusing and cause even more trauma and fear. The cycle of confusion, trauma and fear continues to feed on itself until the individual is paralyzed with it. From a happy, adventurous individual, I became so fearful, I couldn't leave the house, I was scared to used household appliances and I could only put small mashed up pieces of food in my mouth. My ability to swallow had almost completely disappeared.  From this point of crippling fear and trauma, a line (no matter how small) had to be drawn to indicate action would be taken and life would move slowly towards recovery.

In his book, 'At Last a Life', Paul David describes a scenario which is key to anyone who wishes to start a move towards inhabiting a free-thinking and contented mind. He talks about the sufferer being so traumatised and fearful, his/her life is dominated by behaviour which appears to avoid futher fear - checking locks and windows a hundred times, staying indoors, avoiding friends and family - the list is endless. This behaviour does nothing but ENHANCE the fear not reduce it. The sufferer is faced with two options - 1. continue the cycle of avoidance/fear  - or 2. start to rebulid the support structure* that the sufferer once had. This is easier said than done. Paul David's observation is this - sufferers often continue the cycle of avoidance/fear, instead of rebuilding the support structure*. The former appears easier than the latter. The behaviour of avoidance/fear becomes so entrenched, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - much like a horse tethered to a post, walking in circles, wearing a track in the soil with it's hooves. The horse becomes conditioned into it's behaviour to the point where, when the tether is cut, the horse is scared to move out of the trench. Paul David's comments are valid. 

But how do we move from a postion of fear to a position of action? Well, the most important first step is commit yourself to the move, wholeheartedly and systematically - knowing that beneath the fear and trauma resides the contented and happy person we always were. Even though we feel wretched and rudderless, our 'real' self is obsured by the fear, the anxiety and depression - but undeniable 'we' are still there. When I found there was a light (albeit very dim) inside that represented the old, carefree 'me', it was a very important indication that my traumatised and fearful mind was obscuring the light and pulling me back to fearful thoughts. We all have the light, if we look.

Sit down, relax, breathe gently in for 7 counts and out for 11 eleven counts just for a few minutes and and allow thoughts to come and go. Don't grab onto (or hold onto) any fearful thoughts or preconceptions, just allow the thoughts to fizzle out. Imagine there is a part of your ego that wants you to continue to be fearful - just like a spoilt child. Just ignore the ranting child for a few minutes and let the thoughts fizzle into the ether. Keep breathing gently in and out (7 in 11 out). After a few minutes, say to yourself, from now on, I will acknowlege the real, happy and contented 'me' is with me right now but obscured by fearful thoughts and although the light is dim, every time I sit, relax and breathe, put negative thoughts to one side (just for a few minutes), the light will become slowly brighter.

I did this 3 or 4 times a day. I allowed myself the luxury to step out of my tired and traumatised mind and look to calmer waters. After several weeks, I was back to work, after several months, I was connecting fundamentally with my old self. Now, 3 years on, I don't meditate regularly because the light shines brightly, but I still acknowlege the power of the simple routine. Try it but be gentle with yourself. Don't expect instant results but look at it as a long-term programme of relaxing, breathing. it will certainly do you no harm. If you feel you need help regarding meditaion, there will be a meditaion group near to where you live. They are the most encouraging and positive people you will ever meet.

Good breathing.

Ed                   
Bookmark and Share

Offline underdog19

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Connecting with 'YOU' Again
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:59:06 AM »
I'm really happy I read this.  That makes perfect sense to me, I'm going to try that several times a day and see how it goes.   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline beth7657

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
Thank you for such a wonderful post.  I am having a bit of turmoil and this post brought some peace to my soul.
Bookmark and Share

Offline moralthunder

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »
I have been through such trauma once before. This was due to the drip-drip effect described in the article. I beat it by building supports. Im back in the spot again, this time because of a bit of a traumatic event. It is really nice to see that I've been doing the right thing to beat this. I do not necessarily do deep breathing or anything, but we all have our own way that leads to the same effect. I find it calming to shower, play a first person shooter (its mindless for me), or see what my girlfriends family is up to. This is my 'meditation', what calms me more times than not. But of course the thought will still nag, or the idea, or just the state of things. It will nag. And the spoilt brat imagery was awesome work, that just added to today's recovery. I know I have to battle still, I really WOULD be crazy if the train just stopped moving. I feel my brain switching fears, latching onto triggers, just proof that it doesn't know what it is doing at the moment. Also proof that I am coming down slowly from the base trauma, because my mind is unable to stay attached to certain fears. That is because I beat them. No, not instantly. Sometimes it can be a week of gruelling ignoring, but it works!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happy sailing

• Mood: Flirty
    Flirty
  • I sought the Lord He delivered me from all my fear
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »
Thanks Commander!  GOOD stuff!!!
Totally relate to the trauma AND drip- drip effect!!
Want to incorporate MORE of the meditation stuff!! Including telling myself all is A-OK etc
Hugggs  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
Wiiliam Shakespeare :       
“Frame thy mind to mirth and merriment, which bars a thousand harms, and lengthens life”

Offline mothmama

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
Excellent post. I know it's a bit older but still helpful. I'm going to bookmark it. Love and light <3
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kristee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
I too found Commanders post to be wonderful. Could someone tell me how to " bookmark" this? Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: