Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: do i have clinical depression?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Anxious_25

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
do i have clinical depression?
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
i think im suffering from a severe case of depression and anxiety,i went to my GP months ago and was prescribed Valium,to help me quit smoking pot and for anxiety,i had a bad panic attack(the first and only I've had)thought i was dying,i was smoking cannabis heavy daily for the past 2 years or so,and I've had problems with drugs basically throughout my entire youth and early adulthood (im 25)iv'e already posted here a few months ago in the anxiety section,but now my anxiety has settled down a bit.
i ended up becoming addicted to Valium,i didn't realise i was until i ran out,then i went through some pretty nasty withdrawals,i felt physically sick,sleep problems etc.,now my daily symptoms include: extreme fatigue,i ALWAYS feel tired,lethargic,insomnia,cant be bothered doing anything,social withdrawal,i have heaps of mates (friends) just don't really want to do anything...
thoughts of death daily,im not suicidal,i fear death,i never used to really even think about it,now i keep thinking im going to die,and regret my entire life,because i feel iv'e achieved nothing,and cant achieve anything because of the way i feel,i convince myself im suffering from some kind of underlying terminal illness (cancer,heart disease etc.)
i had blood tests done back when i was prescribed Valium,they came up clear,but i still subconsciously think i have something wrong with me because of the way i feel,i have alot of guilt as well,of not doing anything productive day in day out for the last few months,I've tried to force myself to exercise and start doing things,i just dont have the energy.

do you think i have clinical depression?

Bookmark and Share
"Metallica - Fade To Black = The Best Track Of All Time,The Soundtrack Of My Life."

Offline Grandma

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: do i have clinical depression?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
Hi Anxious 25 -

Yes, I think you have clinical depression - but I am not your doctor or your therapist, so my opinion doesn't count.

Only a professional can diagnose you.  Please schedule an appointment at a mental health services agency right away.  Medication and counseling can do wonders to help you feel better.

One thing I would like to point out - medications like valium cannot be stopped abruptly.  The fact that you had withdrawal symptoms does not mean that you were addicted, only that you stopped the medication the wrong way. 

Please let us know what happens -

Love, Grandma 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxious_25

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »
thanks for your reply grandma!

im going to make an appointment to see my GP and get a referral to see a therapist,because i just cannot keep living my life like this,i just want to feel normal and achieve goals in life,it's just impossible to do anything in this condition though,i feel as though im 80 years old!

my greatest fear is living out the rest of my life like this,i  dread the smallest things.....like going to the shops etc,i just dont feel comfortable doing anything.i used to be really outgoing and fun loving,clubbing every weekend,working etc,that just seems like a distant memory now,im living like a hermit,recluse,couch potato...its quite pathetic.

btw what kind of therapist do you think would be better,psychologist or psychiatrist?

Bookmark and Share
"Metallica - Fade To Black = The Best Track Of All Time,The Soundtrack Of My Life."

Offline Grandma

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »
Hi again, Anxious -

In many areas, psychiatrists only prescribe meds, although they have the training to do counseling.  Clinical psychologists and clinical social workers usually provide the therapy.

I think a good plan is to call a mental health agency and let them know what you are interested in - meds, therapy, or both.  The standard procedure is an intake evaluation, usually with a psychiatrist, and then assignment to a therapist. 

You don't have to see both professionals at the same agency, but it can help if they need to consult each other about your treatment.

Please feel free to ask me any question that you think of -

Love, Grandma
Bookmark and Share

Offline Emmett

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 06:40:21 AM »
hi guys,,,
     I advice you to consult a nearest advice.I am not sure but with the symptoms you mentioned above clearly shows that you are suffering from the clinical depression.Make an appointment with your doctor as early as possible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxious_25

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »
hey guys just a bit of an update,

went and saw the doctor,who referred me to a psychologist,i met her on saturday,she's nice.....and hopefully will be able to help me a bit,iv'e been prescribed Zoloft,started it 3 days ago,as of yet no real changes but i do feel a little different....i was told it takes weeks to work itself into my system though so i'll have to see how it goes,ive also been googling zoloft.....seen some pretty scary side effect stories...anyone have any postive or negative feedback for it?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Grandma

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:26:04 AM »
Hi Anxious -

I am so happy to hear your news!!!!

I predict that this is a real turning point for you.  It won't be easy and it won't be quick, but you are on your way to feeling better.

Regarding Zoloft, or any other medication - please don't waste your energy googling.  Most people have only temporary mild side effects, if any side effects at all.  In the extrememly unlikely event that you cannot tolerate a med, your doctor can easily change your prescription.

I'll be looking forward to your next progress report.

Love, Grandma
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:44:44 AM »
It's important to seek help from your GP if you think you may be depressed.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: