Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Involuntary Muscle Movement: Parkinsons or MS  (Read 9513 times)

Offline HunnyBunny0709

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Involuntary Muscle Movement: Parkinsons or MS
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »
I am convinced I have MS or Parkinsons.  My feet, legs and eyelid have been twitching for THREE weeks now.  Tonight at the theater, my pinky started moving from side to side by itself. My hands are shaky and I am getting little twitches everywhere now... my chin, my nose, my thigh...

My family dr said Parkinson's isn't likely because I am only 36.... but look at Michael J Fox.  What else could this be if it's NOT MS or Parkinsons (or ALS)?  I am so sick of this.  It's consuming my life but I can't stop worrying.  I am so scared that I don't even know if I should ask for a MRI or something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Grandma

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Involuntary Muscle Movement: Parkinsons or MS
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
Hi HunnyBunny -

What else could it be?

Drum roll please.....it could be.........ANXIETY!!!!!!!!!!!

You have health anxiety.  This illness has robbed you of the ability to think rationally about your health.

Your twitches are caused by anxiety.  They are not like the types of muscle movements that herald MS, Parkinson's, or ALS, but.......

You notice the twitches and the ha takes over and convinces you that they are signs of one or more of these illnesses, which scares you, so your anxiety increases, so you twitch more, so you become more convinced that you have diseases that your doctor tells you you do not have.

Your doctor went to medical school so he/she would know more about diseases than you, or the people who are reading your post, know.

Okay, so you have health anxiety.  It is not your fault that you have it, but it is your responsibility to do something about it.  So far, you have chosen to feed it; another choice would be to fight it.  It's up to you.

You can spend the rest of your life in a panic, or you can learn to combat the anxiety that causes this fear.

I know that this is not easy.  Although I do not have ha, i have gad, depression, and ptsd.  Without treatment I would have been dead by now.  I chose treatment. 

What will you choose?

You may always have anxiety, but it does not need to be this hard.

Love, Grandma
Bookmark and Share

Offline renaed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
Goooo Grandma!!!!
You need to whip my butt into shape!

Haha! Ditto Grandma! What she said :happy0151: :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Grandma

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
Heh heh heh -

I am the butt-whippin' Grandma - just doing my job!
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:54:38 PM »
hunnybunny=== you know im in ur boat to! so don't feel alone... actually i was just driving my mom nuts tonight, a muscle in my arm was twitching....i could see it, so i showed her, she saw it and was like .. "so what! your fine! your neurologist, your gp and your MOTHER are all telling you that your fine and its anxiety!!"

it sux....i could hear that a million times, it does help a little, but we need to get a grip on this fear so we stop thinking about it. 2 things that worry me--

1. this twitching is the start of something horrible (als)

2. even if its not als... what if it NEVER stops, and if it never stops, im always gonna be anxious about it! vicious circle!

i twitch all over 24/7...... and my voice is hoarse and weak/with a a sore throat (((((i know, logically we all know its from the bad cold im getting over))))))))
als fear sux, anxiety sux, plus being prego is making me more emotional about it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline HunnyBunny0709

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »
I just don't see how anxiety can make your finger (or toes or eyelid) go back and forth... back and forth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline novangel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 01:11:39 AM »
I have had muscle twitches ever since I developed GAD. Common symptom. Try to calm yourself and they will subside a bit.
Bookmark and Share
:action-smiley-065:

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 06:49:46 AM »
I just don't see how anxiety can make your finger (or toes or eyelid) go back and forth... back and forth.

yep i get that too...in my thumb and my middle finger its wierd
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »

that's how anxiety works.  if it didn't scare you, there would be no anxiety disorders.

Parkinson's or MS  or as grandma said---ANXIETY.

I've had all that stuff.  I don't have either disease.  I do have anxiety.

so as long as these things concern you, the longer it will hold you hostage.  Until you can wrap your mind around the idea that anxiety is not a just, you will be trapped in your fear thoughts.  Work through some of the anxietal issues, and these things will subside--over time.  I can't stress enough that as long as you are jumping at every bit of body noise, the worse it will get for you.  I can say this because I've lived it.     
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »
Hey six,,, even when im not anxious AT ALL....like just chill and relaxed i get these twitches.. lastnight my upper arm muscle jumped a few times in a row! like the whole thing! Also, i "feel" a twitch in my foream, that makes my finger move/twitch! what the hell was that?? and on top of that my legs were twitching like a bag of ants..AND my voice is still very weak and hoarse     :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001:   help me feel better about this today please....
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »
Hey six,,, even when im not anxious AT ALL....like just chill and relaxed i get these twitches.. lastnight my upper arm muscle jumped a few times in a row! like the whole thing! Also, i "feel" a twitch in my foream, that makes my finger move/twitch! what the hell was that?? and on top of that my legs were twitching like a bag of ants..AND my voice is still very weak and hoarse     :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001:   help me feel better about this today please....

nay---read my signature...

anxiety doesn't have an on/off switch.

when my latest big scary neuro disease started--it began with my leg buzzing.  I wasn't thinking anything anxious; didn't actually think I was stressed.  I was sitting and watching a movie.  My left leg started buzzing.  I thought it was weird but that was it.  A month later it was still buzzing--then I started worrying over it.  Then I started the downward spiral.  Looking back (and if I'm to be honest with myself I probably knew at the time) I could see pile after pile of stresses building up.  Sometimes the stresses are easy to pinpoint, sometimes they aren't.

Once a body gets revved up, like yours and half the people on here, an afternoon of relaxing isn't enough to get a body back into a non-reactive state.  It took a while to get it worked up and it is going to take a loooong time to get it calmed back down.  Most people here say---"I wasn't even anxious and I was twitching or buzzing or lightheaded so it can't be anxiety"   THat is just a crock of poo.  Folks with anxiety disorders have come to believe that only freak out is when they are anxious.  Most of the time we are not living in FREAK out mode but we aren't calm either--we are still anxious (mind/body) but not consciously so.  We are one disturbing thought, nasty driver cutting us off, one argument with a loved one, one bit of body noise etc away from getting ramped back up.  It takes REALLY getting your mind off this stuff, REAL distraction, REAL living your life, REAL not monitoring your symptoms for your mind/body to calm back down.  sometimes it can be done by sheer force of will but not always.  Some people need meds--like SSRIs to help with it.

But nay---I truly know that your thoughts are never far from the twitches or the disease or the body noise.  Until you can really make the connection between mind/body and lose the fear, you are going to be running yourself ragged with worry.  You have to accept that life is stressful.  Life isn't a walk in the park and your mind/body are going to react.  Once we've let the anxiety genie out of the bottle, it is mighty hard to get pushed back in.  In other words, once your anxiety has gone physical, it will likely always react that way to some extent.  What you can do is understand how this can happen and not react in such a fearful way.  You have to find ways to work through your stresses.  At this point it is your body's overreaction to the stresses that are causing this--plus your faulty thinking thrown in there for good measure.

The way we experience life is very much influenced by our expectations.     
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »
and also...reading things on the internet is probably half of my problem.

i read that bulbar onset als can be brought on with hoarse voice, excess phlegm and ear aches...and thats what ive been experiencing the last few days. sooooo like you said my faulty thinking has me convinced that i have bulbar als... not just the after effect of my nasty chest cold. do u really think thats all it is???

i just put the throat issues with the twitching and bam ....als in my head again. my twitching scares me because there is supposedly no other reason for it besides anxiety. and just it happening alone makes me more anxious, even when i try to make myself think that its not als.

i want to kick this als fear so bad, but im kind of afraid to not think about it because what if it really is the start of it?!

sorry six, i know i sound like a broken record and don't mean to be a pain in the butt  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »
nay--

there is logic on your side here.  you don't have ALS.  I'd bet my last dollar on that.

You know I've been chasing this cold/s around on me for a month now.  AND last week I had a cold sore.  Last night I got this thick feeling in my throat with a cough.  It almost feels like asthma without all the wheezing.  Now logic says it is winter and colds and stressed about a few things myself.  I don't have anything more than that.  And neither do you.

Plus you have a baby about to make her entrance into the world...  You got stuff going on...

twitching is not a problem --well only a problem that you have created in your own mind.  I twitch everyday--somewhere--on my body.  EVERYDAY....
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
Thanks six  :winking0008:

i have an appt. with my neuro on thursday, she is great, and bascially did tell me that she is just seeing me once a month or 2 months for my own peace of mind, and to be less anxious and be less stressed during the pregnancy.

i really hope thats the case. i don't want to pop the baby out and then all of a sudden have the neuro be like "ooohh ok lets run some tests now" blllaaaahh....well anywyas, thanks as usual for listening six
Bookmark and Share

Offline twitchertoo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »

I have an index finger that goes back and forth side ways. I know how you feel. Its been five months.

At first it was really bad and I think that was due to some overuse problem and nerve irritation. Even my doctor said it was very odd but was not really concerned.
It then got better when I left it alone as much as I could.

If I use it, it shakes side to side but not as crazy as before.  When I am anxious is even worse. Not sure how much is a real injury and how much is my anxiety.
Either way its not a serious issue.  My anxiety gets bad over it now not because I think its something serious but because I have lost patience with it getting better.

I am thinking if I can truely become calm, the strain in my neck will ease up and that will help with any nerve related issue.

Does the finger still go side to side ???

My started in August. I obsessed over it until mid-Oct but was not in panic mode. One day in October I was so near panic for reasons I am not sure of and then all of a sudden the finger started its exaggerated side to side movement and then I went into panic mode that lasted until I got on Paxil. Don't let it get you the way it got me.
When I went into panic mode all of  sudden I had issues all over.

Now I am better but still somewhat anxious. I am on the lowest dosage of paxil and not sure if I should increase it or just continued trying to get past this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: