Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How to accept anxiety?  (Read 7905 times)

Offline charb

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How to accept anxiety?
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »
i've read and have heard alot of succes stories by just accepting your anxity and co existing with it? does anyone have any good tips on how to do this sucessfully please?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 168
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to accept anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:41:10 AM »
I think what people are meaning is that no matter how bad things get, and symptoms appear to be, to accept it is just anxiety. A lot of folk tend to look for other answers. They tell themselves ' anxiety can't be doing all this to me '. Thus they are hiding from the truth. They are seeking out answers elsewhere. if they accepted it was just anxiety they could learn to deal with the anxiety. But instead they blow it up into something much bigger than it really is. But to accept anxiety you would need to learn about anxiety. Few basics things. We have the four connections. The mood, the thought, the reaction and the symptoms. They are all connected to each other. The first thing a lot of people notice is the mood they are in. They may feel down. This puts a thought in their head. ' I am doing because of X or Y '. So then they react to that thought. The reaction in turn brings about their symptoms. If you could learn how to change the thought or the reaction the rest would fall into place for you. They have a knock on effect on each other. It takes time. It takes practice. You might have a few falls before you get it right. But keep going in the right direction and you will only find yourself getting better.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline charb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:49 AM »
thank you cuchculan (: so next time i have a anxiety thought i should not get scared or worry about  so basicly not give it a reaction and be like how whatever right? and this should help over time?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 168
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »
It might sound like a stuff of horror movies to hear someone tell you to let such feelings come on. But that is all they are. Just more feelings. Only they are bad feelings. We can fight or we can flee. But feelings change with time. I am sure you have felt anxiety before. I am sure it has passed as well. Maybe after a short while. As it comes on, so does it pass. What happens in between is up to us. Do we run from it and feed it. Making it worse. Or do we try and compose ourselves and tell ourselves we can beat this. It is only a bad feeling and it will pass. All about changing how you think. But like I said, it can take time. You might want to run away from those feelings a good few times before you decide to stick it out and fight them. Just do your best. That is all anybody can ask of you. The more you get used to the feelings the less severe they will seem. Once you see they can pass, you are all but there in beating this anxiety. It will test you. Never say never.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Smoky Jo

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Tatoo Artist
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »

I agree with everything Cuchculan said,  they are only emotions,  and emotions
can't kill you.  Accept the thoughts,  they are only thoughts and you don't have
to react nor entertain them.  The more you fight the intrusive thoughts,  the
more intensified they become and appear more often.  With time and practice,
you will be able to recognize the intrusive thoughts and ignore them.

The first thing you can do is accept the fact that you have anxiety.  You program
into your head what it should be afraid of,  and therefore it tells you when to be
fearful.  Disputing and reframing the intrusive thoughts are an important tool you
can use.  Fear of one thing leads to fear of something similar.  When you experience
intrusive thoughts substitute those thoughts with positive messages.  Face the fear
and the fear will disappear.
Bookmark and Share
Let Fear help cure yourself...It will tell you what is worst for you...Do It !!

Offline charb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
Thank you for both of ur replies (: i will try this and the next time a thought comes in ill just wont let it bug and tell myself it will pass
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »
Hi:) See below post I wrote in response to someone asking the same question....I copied it here to your topic. Peace and I hope you feel well:)

Re: Do any of you feel like just giving up and
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:32:00 PM

I'm no "enlightened one"...that is for sure. All I can do is offer some experiental info, as it has helped me in my dealings with Anxiety Disorder(s) that began 25 years ago:) There is no "right" way or "wrong" way in how to life our lives (we can't do harm unto others, though...that is bad, of course:). Having the ability to choose our path in life is a freedom that is an indomitable gift. ACCEPTING where you are NOW in your life is crucial, eventhough you might have desired a different path to get you to today. That different path would have been preferred without freakin' Anxiety Disorders for us, though, I'm sure:) In acceptance there can be calm and peace...in reliving all the negatives in your past there is anxiety and turmoil.

You said, "I have been an angry, worried, jealous person all of my life. And I hate it."

OK...I accept your statement. I'm not going to try to change this perception you have, I am not going to protest you expressing these feelings and I don't want to leave this discussion because you have this view of your life. But, what I choose not to accept is that you can't begin to move forward on your healing path. Short of severe mental illness, it is within us all...this I truly believe. If you desire to become a happier person (my contention is that you probably have some happiness now, but it is shaded from the sun, so to speak:) and progress positively in life to where you think you ought to be, then you might have to form new habits. I'm not saying immediately DROP your current habits, that takes much too much energy, and ALL your current habits aren't bad, of course:) We do need much of our available energy, though, to embrace the new positive habits which, also, prohibit counterproductive habits that are formed out of inaction. Inaction is the devil in disguise. Creating good habits, those that affirm your healing path, can ultimately expell the bad habits that create anxiety and disorder, to an impressive extent. A habit can be an activity, an action, a process, a way of thinking, a way of reacting, a way of perceiving, etc. A habit is not just smoking cigs.

I have learned, through much trial and tribulation, that I was wasting precious time and, previously mentioned, needed energy reflecting on my worries about events and, supposed, misgivings from others that happened long ago (and perhaps, even yesterday, I suppose:). As we know, the past is set in stone...unmovable. But what we can move is our perception of the past, to a degree. Though we prefer some things to not have happened, if we can take our experiences and use them to frame and, then, direct where we want to go in life, perhaps our past can be viewed through a different, more positive, filter. Angst is created when we wish to change what has already happened in our lives. Angst is also created when we know we could do more, ourselves, to improve our current situations, but are fearful of the "what ifs" and, inturn, nearly paralyzed into inaction. And again...inaction is the devil in disguise. And angst is not good for us anxious peeps, too:)

The "why me?" will get us nowhere, though it did give me some twisted comfort, I suppose, in laying the blame upon everything imaginable. There actually is no blame that should be laid. Whatever the genesis of our Anxiety Disorder(s), blaming this or that is very counterproductive in getting to where you want to go. Understanding what the genesis could have been is completely different and can be therapeutic, in cases, perhaps.

Life can be enjoyed regardless of our circumstance, I firmly hold this tenet dear. In our circumstance, we have Anxiety Disorder(s) and it can be a debilitating nightmare, sometimes, and it can be a mental and physical obstacle course filled with, unseen, traps. But, if we ACCEPT our disorders there can be solace. Acceptance is NOT resignation. I will accept that my Anxiety Disorder is part of my fabric...part of my makeup, but I will not resign myself to defined by my AD. I will ACCEPT that these feelings, thoughts and symptoms will pass and they can really do me no harm, but I will not resign myself to being idle and I will calmly seek out methods for some anxiety relief. Acceptance that there are anxiety reduction techniques that can help, but only if they are performed. Acceptance that I am the definer of my well-being and it's in my hands to create my "recovery" journey. A healing path is there. I don't have a magic pill that makes you accept. But, I do know that with practice, practice and then more practice (and then more practice:) of "accepting acceptance" you can begin on your path that takes you where you want to be. There are far wiser and more educated folks that have studied and written about how acceptance is a MAJOR tenet to alleviating the grip of Anxiety Disorders. I might suggest those doctors and authors insightful readings. I didn't invent acceptance, of course...but I do live it. And it works:) There is ALWAYS hope!:)Peace and Feel Well:)

Here's the entire thread:
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,35454.0.html

Bookmark and Share

Offline charb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »
flordia guy what a great post thank u so much (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline curtis

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
it is so hard to do but it is the only thing to do is just accept the anxiety and move on. It takes so much time. But in time we do get better
Bookmark and Share

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 42
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
Wow Floridaguy your message gave me chicken skin! 

For the first time in a long time I shed a tear!   

A tear of renewed hope from your message! 

Thank you!

pauly j
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Tags: