Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: quit smoking and now im constipated  (Read 17076 times)

Offline crazygirl1

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
quit smoking and now im constipated
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
sorry for the tmi once again but im getting a little annoyed here. Quit smoking 7 weeks ago, thats going great however I think my body is adjusting to life without the smoking/chemicals adn now im having trouble here...i go a few days without a bm and before-when i was smoking i was going every day. I know I know we talked about this yesterday and since then I thought for sure I'd ahve a bm but here we are...day 3 or 4 now Im afraid to actually count. I'm getting these weird feelings like either cramps or trapped gas. I know-how attractive ...again...sorry. But it's like I know theres a lot in there, under my belly button like...i'm getting frustrated. Seriously-WHAT IS CONSTIPATION??? I read that anything less than 3 times a week...wth..??? i know -fiber, water, blah blah but seriously how much more??
boy an i the idiot for complaining about this huh? i know its stupid but I just worry because of colon ca in my family...."any change in bm..." you know they say adn this is a change. I know the not smoking HAS to have something to do with it right? so its not ca....?? right?
Bookmark and Share
Revelation 7:17
 ... and God will wipe every tear from their eyes."

Offline briteyes1002

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: quit smoking and now im constipated
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »
Crazy- This is normal. My step mom complained about the same thing... I know coffee helped her- but she didnt have anxiety. I know there are some natural teas that are mild but can help things flowing... Have you tried one of those?

Well congrats on quiting smoking- I know its hard and I wish you all the luck and stay strong!

K
Bookmark and Share
The road you leave behind you is another road your going to have to come back down!

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
no i havent tried any teas..i do love coffee and since I started using the patch to stop smoking i've upped the coffee a little. just annoyed you know and my anxiety's saying ca....
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrownofThorns

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »
Same thing happened to me with my last attempt at quitting smoking. Smoking aggravates the digestive system, that's why you were going more then. Now, your system is just trying to get used to going without the nicotene. Tea with orange or ginger in it usually helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline grateful

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
I quit smoking when I got pregnant last year and had the same issues- My morning smoke always set off my daily bm and then when I quit nothing!! I can't really drink coffee without getting anxiety so I drank Hot Green tea with lemon and that seemed to get things moving too it did eventually go back to normal. Its not cancer there is something about nicotine that stimulates things down there- good luck! And congrats on quitting smoking I don't know about you but once my Ha kicked in smoking just made me worry about lung cancer- so at least you can cross that one off now:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
Take magnesium. I take blackstrap molasses and it has magnesium in it and I go every day, no problem. Gets things moving because of my iron supplements.

Fiber will make you gassy.

I would also take Vitamin C if you don't do magnesium. That will also get things moving. And drink lots of water.

Last resort? Enema!! I have done this and boy did I feel better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »
Hey CG:) Great advise you've recieved here:) Just wanted to add that you don't have colon cancer...you had the tests...you're all good...they didn't miss a "hidden" polyp:) Peace.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
thanks all...one thing though that I keep forgetting is that I'm still getting nicotine--from the patches! So I could assume that the going every day when i smoked and now Im not is from all that other crap ( gosh no pun seriously...lol) in cigarettes...? right?
floridaguy--thanx, that colon ca fear really just doesnt wanna let go. Ok-what if there werent any polyps missed...i could still be "getting/developing" it couldnt I? like an aggressive fast growing kind...
Well I had a bm this morning so a lot of the doscomfort is gone but I sitll feel ...backed up, just not myself.
It's GOTTA be from not smoking right? I just dont wanna take anything for it ( well I went today so I guess I dont need to this time...) because I want to see what will make me regular again I guess.
Just from not smoking right? It'll "correct" itself right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrownofThorns

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »
Just from not smoking right? It'll "correct" itself right?

Absolutely. Smoking is a chemical dependency like drugs. Your body gets used to the nicotene and acts a certain way. When you stop smoking, your body react to that and act weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline starr77

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
Thats awesome that you quit smokeing! How did you do it? Ive been trying but always fail and cancer is my number 1 fear go figure! I wish I had never started. I try and quit but as soon as my anxiety flares up i smoke.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
Crown of Thorns & Star77---I'm still getting nicotine though..I quit using the patch, which I'm still on ( going down to the last step tomorrow) star77-you can quit too!!
COT--see what Im saying-I'm still getting nicotine, but not all the other crap in cigarettes...
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrownofThorns

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
COT--see what Im saying-I'm still getting nicotine, but not all the other crap in cigarettes...

Either way, your body is reacting to the lack of chemicals.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
thats what i'm hoping this is...and nothing more..
Bookmark and Share

Offline 29sillygirl

• Silly smiles
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
Hi,

Easy does it.  As an anal cancer survivor, I have poop issues :spineyes:.

I also take clonazapam, and can expect problems one way or the other if I decrease or increase daily dose (addictive as are ciggies).

Tho' it is impossible not to be totally focused on constipation, I know...it would be best to take whatever works ...and not freak if you don't go each day.  I think your problem stems from two things: withdrawal, as every other poster has said, and your anxiety about colon cancer.  Imagine your body is perfectly healthy....with one easily corrected imbalance just now.  Focus as much as you can on your freedom from cigarettes.  What a victory !!!

BTW: I use stool softners and a bit of fiber in juice am, if I have a constipated spell. 

Best luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »
29 sillygirl...amazing..you're a cancer survivor? amazing...you must be so strong and so..wise to all this anxiety stuff. I've met 2 other ca survivors on here and htey both inspire me. thanks for your words, i appreciate it.
What stool softener do you use? When I had my ca scare last march I went straight to a colorectal surgeon. It was hemmorhoids. He did surgery and said to use stool softeners while recovering. that was fine, he also said its ok to use something every once in a while, that its actually good for your system. I forget which on he said to use though, he said the one that is natural is good for you, the other was a chemical so not to use that after recovery. Cant remember.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: