Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking Out! Carcinoid syndrome?  (Read 4961 times)

Offline mizzou

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking Out! Carcinoid syndrome?
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »
12 days ago, I started getting a flushed, burning sensation on my face. The flushing goes down my neck, ears and shoulders. It started after I started up celexa and inderal again. The flushing comes and goes, but my cheeks stay red now. The burning sensation left a few days ago, but the redness is still there. The palms of my hands get red too. I been to the doctors 5 different times, was given beneydryl and prednisolone, but neither worked. They did a blood test and my white bloods cells where fine, but when seperated, my neutraphils where high and my lymphs where low. So they done a ESR for inflamation, and that came back normal. I did my own research, and now I am scared I have Carcinoid syndrome. I see internal medicine next week to get more tests to see why I am flushing. I just hope its nothing serious....pany suggestions to what this could be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking Out! Carcinoid syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:05:11 AM »
I don't know what carcinoid syndrome is. But is it possible that you cannot take celexa and/or Inderal? Maybe they do not agree with you.

I always ask my pharmacist if I am on a medication and I get side effects. Even if it is not listed.

I wanted to add that I tried Celexa, and it made me violently ill after the first dose. Yet, I now take Effexor XR which has way more side effects, and I didn't get any of them. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mizzou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:13:40 AM »
Carcinoid syndrome is small tumors that can be cancerous. The main symptom is uneplained flushing of the face and neck, direhrea, and heart palpatations...I just hope I don't have cancer. I'm 29 with 3 kids and married. I want to live to see them grow up and all this is scary to me. I try to think positive, but when I look in the mirror, I see the red on my cheeks and it just isn't normal for me..
Bookmark and Share

Offline citytoxic

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:43:37 AM »
Flushing of the skin, stomach disturbances, palpitations are all symptoms of anxiety and panic as well. Don't use google to diagnose yourself, it only makes matters worse.

I hope this makes you feel a little bit better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mizzou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »
I'm hoping that's what it is
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:12:25 AM »
I have known two people with Carcinoid syndrome. One woman was in her 40's and she was getting
severe diarrhea, had large sores and rashes on her chest and lost a lot of weight. She had a Carcinoid
tumor on her small intestine. The other person I knew, had a Carcinoid tumor of the lung. He had no symptoms
at all, until he found a large lump on his chest. Flushing can be caused by many things, including anxiety, alcohol,
inflammation caused by allergic reactions or infections and the list goes on. The people that had the carcinoid tumors had
many blood and urine tests.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mizzou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »
Thanks Marc. I have a referral to see internal medicine next week, so I'm hoping for the best. They will probably run a few more tests. I had this flushing for 12 days now. It comes and goes over my body, but my cheeks stay flushed, as do my ears and neck. Not sure whatelse this could be. I always think the worst of thing...
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
I think it could be a reaction to the meds. You stated it started again after taking the Celexa and the Inderol. Sounds coincidental.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mizzou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »
That's what I am hoping dancer, that its just the meds. I started it up last monday and only took it for 3 days, then the symptoms started. How long does it stay in your system? The burning sensation I had in my face is slowly tappering off, but latley I had a bit of a stomache ache as well. My hands are really red, as well as my cheeks, and the flushing on my chest and rrest of my body comes and goes..I have been on pins and needles ever since my blood test was a Tad bit off, but I was also taking predinsolone, which is a steriod right before they did the blood test, so that's what possibly could have threw that off. I already have horrible anxiety, so all of this just makes it that much worse. I just want a diagnosis one way or the other. Its just the fact of not knowing that is killing me. Monday can't come quick enough, then I can call and make my appointment
Bookmark and Share

Offline HowardCohodas

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
I had a small intestine resection because of Carcinoid tumors 4 years ago this December. Twice a year exams and no recurrence so far.

Several things you should know to put things in perspective.
  • Carcinoid tumors are slow growing. Most people have them for years without knowing. Mine were estimated at 15 to 20 years.
  • The symptoms, like flushing and diarrhea, are usually with you for years without proper diagnosis.
  • Most people who have Carcinoid tumors that cannot be removed surgically die with them, not of them.
  • Carcinoid is extremely rare. Finding a doctor who understands it is a challenge.
  • The best resource I've found is Carcinoid.org. They have a mailing list with a prominent Carcinoid doctor as a member who generously devotes a considerable amount of time answering individual questions.

Feel free to address additional concerns on line or off line and I will do my best to answer them or point to resources I've found worth while.

Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 12:27:58 AM »
I honestly think it is the celexa or inderol that did this. Usually these meds exit the body after about 24 hours, but if you had some kind of reaction to it, the effects can last a little while.

Doesn't sound like carcinoid syndrome.

If not allergic/side effects to the meds, it could have been anything. Did you eat anything different? Touch anything different?

I hope you get some answers to put your mind at ease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mizzou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »
@howard- thabk you so much for your insight. I am sorry you had to deal with this. How did they end up finding the tumor?? Was it by xray or urine sample? The flushing just started out of no where about 2 weeks ago. At first it was a tingly burning sensation on my face and then my cheeks got red. It comes and goes on my neck, ears and my hands are blotchy red, would that be a symptom?? I haven't really had diarehhea though. The burning sensation taperred away after a week. Its just mainly the flushing that concerns me. The fact it came out of no where is what baffels me.did they do labs on you? Where your blood tests abnormal? @dancer- there is nothing that I can think of that I have done differently besides take the celexa and inderal. I only took it for 3 days, and its been abot 12 days since I tool it. Beneydrl would counter a reaction, but it didn't do nothing for it, neither did prednisolone, which is a steriod medicine.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: