Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: day 10 of not smoking ..and still no coughing or phlegm  (Read 13563 times)

Offline crazygirl1

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
day 10 of not smoking ..and still no coughing or phlegm
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
I can't understand it, I've been a smoker for so long, why is it that people who have smoked not as long as me get this aweful cough & phlegm when they quit? I'm a little nervous that maybe it means my lungs arent healing?
Bookmark and Share
Revelation 7:17
 ... and God will wipe every tear from their eyes."

Offline Knightsaber

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: day 10 of not smoking ..and still no coughing or phlegm
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:33:11 AM »
I don't know...I would be pretty pleased as punch if I wasn't bent over coughing :)

Some people never do after quitting, you know.  You're lucky, I think.

Edit: Never do get the cough I mean.  Of course your lungs are healing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrownofThorns

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
Your lungs are healing, no matter what.
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:50:20 AM »
Hey CG:) Most Excellent work, so far...10 days! Keep on truckin':) HA is a bugger...it even can throw it's worthless two cents in when we are experiencing a huge triumph. Making you feel as though your lungs might not be healing is pure HA bulls#******:) Take a deep breath...enjoy the feeling and know that your lungs ARE healing and thankful:) If you're not coughing, then your body does not need to...don't over analyze that:) Over analyze...do we do that?!:) LOL. Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »
thanks everyone...floridaguy-lol I know overanalyze-who me??  It just seems weird. I've never known anyone to quit & not get the cough.
Btw-that weird feeling in my chest I was tlaking about for about a day last week I think-turns out it was these baby pancakes I was makign for my daughter. She didnt finish them so of course I did. That feeling is gone..tums...lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 197
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »
wow 10 days... keep on truckin' girl

don't look for the terd in the bowl...  ( I know, gross) You are doing great.  Keep it up.

I don't recall if my sister's and mom coughed when they quit smoking.  Personally, I"m with knightsaber
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »
LOL too funny sixpack. I know 10 days can ya believe it?? I've even had a few "trying" moments where I thought "darn ..if I could only..." but I didnt  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrownofThorns

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 02:32:47 PM »
That's next on my list of things to do to better myself, quit smoking.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
oh go for it! you can do it! It really isnt as bad as I thought it woul dbe. In fact I feel much less stressed not always thinking about my next smoke. This is whats giving me the most rewards.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrownofThorns

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »
oh go for it! you can do it!

Thank you for the encouragement.  :winking0008:

I told myself this pack I have now was going to be my last pack. I've been planning out different things to do for myself to make this healing process more pleasant and motivational. Taking watercolor classes, setting aside time for strolls with my friends, shopping, day trips, trying out a crazy hair color, etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »
CG - 10 DAYS  !!!   ;D
that is fantastic.   so so glad for you.

about not coughing - i know I told you before that i didn't cough neither did my hubby when we quit. i also remember at least one other person mentioning that in their post previously.  so, you can't say you don't know of anyone that didn't cough when they quit. you know of at least 3. :)

it's that freaking HA.  you were gonna be freaking out if you were coughing, and now, you're freaking out about not coughing. never can win with this HA stuff.
whatever you do, keep NOT smoking.

you're doing the best thing for yourself.

xo
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
 :happy0151:thanks reece, i so appreciate it. The encouragement really helps. So does this perfume I have-I like being able to smell it,and  I like smelling good instead of like smoke & chemicals too :bigsmile:
Yup, now I remember you saying you & your husband didnt get the cough. How long did you guys smoke for again?
I know its true-I'd be freaking if I were coughing and this HA-it sucks but you know if I didnt have it I bet I wouldnt have thought so much about quitting. I'm LOVING that I'm doing something so good for me, in turn it is sooo good for my daughter-to have a smoke free mommy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
This is awesome news. Now I gotta get my butt in gear and do the same thing.

Not everyone coughs. And now you are on day 10 so all the nicotine has left your body and your lungs are now healing.

Congrats to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »
thanks dancer...actually though I am cheating-I'm on the patch..so I'm still getting the nicotine BUT I'm over the hands/mouth thing pretty much and that is a BIG deal for me:) I'm replacing times that I usually smoke with something else. Little booklet that comes with the patches says to make sure to reward yourself-I'm doing just that. I reward myself with Pumpkin Spice coffee from D & D. I'm keeping busy and I'm getting over the habit of running out for a smoke every time I get anxious or upset or stressed. I think thats the biggest thing for me. 2 more weeks until I step down to teh next level of nicotine. My anxiety level is much lower. Dont get me wrong I'm still stressing but its nothing like before-always thinking about my next smoke. You can do it dancer-give it a try:) I just never could have imagined I'd not be so shakey without smoking, I'm more calm...never saw that coming.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 197
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
thanks dancer...actually though I am cheating-I'm on the patch..so I'm still getting the nicotine BUT I'm over the hands/mouth thing pretty much and that is a BIG deal for me:) I'm replacing times that I usually smoke with something else. Little booklet that comes with the patches says to make sure to reward ***** doing just that. I reward myself with Pumpkin Spice coffee from D & D. I'm keeping busy and I'm getting over the habit of running out for a smoke every time I get anxious or upset or stressed. I think thats the biggest thing for me. 2 more weeks until I step down to teh next level of nicotine. My anxiety level is much lower. Dont get me wrong I'm still stressing but its nothing like before-always thinking about my next smoke. You can do it dancer-give it a try:) I just never could have imagined I'd not be so shakey without smoking, I'm more calm...never saw that coming.

see our anxious thinking really exaggerates and distorts things.  When we allow ourselves to see & experience the reality, it is a much different picture.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: