Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Petechiae has me worried  (Read 19426 times)

Offline BurlesonBlue

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Petechiae has me worried
« on: November 11, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm 17, and my family would say that I'm an extreme hypochondriac. And I am. I've had past scares with Tetanus and Rabies, and now I'm convinced Leukemia is out to get me. Why? Because of these scattered little red dots, petechiae, on my body. By no means are there a lot of them, maybe 30 scattered throughout. Everything I read makes it sound like petechiae is a serious harbringer of doom, but I don't have any other symptoms. No bruising, no bleeding gums, no weird bleeding (I had a paper cut last week that healed just fine), no fever, no night sweats, no fatigue, no nothing. Except petechiae. But it's still freaking me out. And this is no recent development either. I've been worrying about these little red dots that come and go since before the beginning of the school year. Why am I so worried?  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousMatt

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Petechiae has me worried
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »
What you have is prolly Keratosis Pilaris, which is a common skin condition that affects up to 40% of the population...where do you have these red spots at?

Usually this condition is associated with little red spots coming up from the hair follicle...I have them on my lower legs and on my upper arms some.
Bookmark and Share
Check out my blog! It might help you!

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?article=18998.0

Offline BurlesonBlue

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:08:27 AM »
What you have is prolly Keratosis Pilaris, which is a common skin condition that affects up to 40% of the population...where do you have these red spots at?

Usually this condition is associated with little red spots coming up from the hair follicle...I have them on my lower legs and on my upper arms some.

Funny you should say that, I actually do have Keratosis Pilaris. But this is different. These little red spots I'm speaking of are flat, they don't blanch with pressure, and there are a few on my arms, and few on my legs, and a couple (literally, two or three) on my chest.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousMatt

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:30:56 AM »
It wouldnt hurt to go see a doc and voice your concern then...Although without other symptoms it would be extremely unlikely to be anything. Just ask the doc to run a Complete blood count and it would tell if anything is amiss in terms of leukemia and what not. More than likely this is just some skin issues, and probably superficial at that. My sister had childhood leukemia, and I can tell you one thing there were very obvious signs that something was wrong. She was very pale, very tired ALL the time...like she couldnt even get up in the morning and wouldnt play or anything. When they took her blood, it came out PINK, and the doctors looked at her results and immediately knew something was wrong.
Bookmark and Share
Check out my blog! It might help you!

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?article=18998.0

Offline countrygirl

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »
You probably have Campbell de Morgan spots - i am covered in them they are little bright red marks on your skin - they mostly affect the upper body especially chest and arms and are totally and completely harmless.  I have had them since I was a teenager and am now 49 and getting more every year - the difference between these and petetchea is that these are red while the petetchea ( which my mother had so I have seen geniune article) were deep red and def under the skin rather than on it.  Believe me if you have seen the real thing you would know the difference so if you are still worried then ask you Gp to look at them and he will tell you straight away what they are. The Campbell de Morgan spots can also be called cherry angionomas but whatever they are completely harmless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrsbell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37:03 AM »
Hi Guys
I have little red pin prick spots all over my body, too.  When I take my fingernail and scratch at them they disappear and then reappear (like the little spot is refilling with blood).  Mine are on my arms, chest, legs... I've showed my doctor them on numerous occasions, and she tells me they are cherry angiomas.  Do those disappear when you touch them?  Now y'all have me a little worried...  :P vicious cycle, anxiety is!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mdbhoy1888

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
I had an outbreak of loads of petechia on my upper arms about a year and a half ago, i wasnt a hypochondriac back then so i never bothered to get it checked, recently i had a CBC which was normal so if they petechia were related to anything sinister my blood results would have been messed up. I also have cherry angiomas on my chest and abdomen which dont blanch when pressed and telangiastica on my arms and hands which do blanch
Bookmark and Share

Offline mdbhoy1888

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
Mrs Bell the NHS and Patient UK websites both state cherry angiomas do not blanch however red dots that do blanch are nothing to worry about, i have loads of them
Bookmark and Share

Offline BurlesonBlue

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »
You probably have Campbell de Morgan spots - i am covered in them they are little bright red marks on your skin - they mostly affect the upper body especially chest and arms and are totally and completely harmless.  I have had them since I was a teenager and am now 49 and getting more every year - the difference between these and petetchea is that these are red while the petetchea ( which my mother had so I have seen geniune article) were deep red and def under the skin rather than on it.  Believe me if you have seen the real thing you would know the difference so if you are still worried then ask you Gp to look at them and he will tell you straight away what they are. The Campbell de Morgan spots can also be called cherry angionomas but whatever they are completely harmless.

I do have Campbell de Morgan spots around my body, but what I'm referring to are not those spots. But I know I also have petechiae. Not many. They come and go. All I want to know is if there are benign causes of scattered petechiae. I have a good number of them on the part of my leg that I tuck under when I sit down. So could the other ones I have be from something as simple as sitting on my arm as I sleep, or scratching an itch on my chest too hard? Or from the collar on my tucked in shirt rubbing too hard against my neck?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mdbhoy1888

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
My gp told me petechiae can be caused by scratching. But go and see your doc because if you dont you will rely on google! Then you can stop worrying
Bookmark and Share

Offline nm_momma

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37:12 PM »
I have this too! And exactly where you described on your legs. I keep forgetting to ask my doc about them (always worried about bigger issues.. like brain tumors) so I don't know what they are either.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cintia

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
Hello, i found this forum (and this topic) googling info on petechiae. Then i signed up because, well, i have anxiety, i'm hypochondriac and i, too, have petechiae (at least i think so). And i'm freaking out about it too. I have it only on my legs. Started about 4 onths ago, few small spots with a lot of red dots. Mostly in my ankles, where the socks get a little tight. Took a long time to fade, but then i got them in another areas, such as the back part of my thigh (i think the same spot mentioned here).
I know i must be nothing but i still freak out with the possibility of something bad. Well we can't all have leukemia, right? RIGHT??? lol
Anyway, its nice to know that i'm not the only one freaking out about it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: