Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Schizophrenia fear  (Read 1560 times)

Offline oldgraymare

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Schizophrenia fear
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
So I talked to a schizophrenic for the first time in my life today.  More accurately, he talked and I nodded politely.  He was difficult to follow, as one minute he would be talking perfectly normally about his situation, thanking me for the money I gave him, and next talking about the woman in his head and asking how she could get so big and concluding that it must be because she is inside his head and she was married to his brother...so on and so forth.  One would think that meeting this individual that it would reinforce in me the idea that I am NOT schizophrenic, but for some reason it just left me all weirded out.
I have these fears as I recently had a break down and my brain just basically wouldn't relax for a year straight.  I was in literal panic mode 24/7, starting with health anxiety and then morphing to my mental health.  It didn't help that I was barely eating (I lost 30 pounds), not sleeping and not moving from my spot on my moms couch.  Then throw Ativan in the mix and it was a CRAZY PARTY!  Everything was surreal and terrifying and I must be hallucinating everything around me!  I can unequivocally say it was the worst, most painful experience of my life.  I think my biggest issue was, sure people have fears of schizophrenia, but do they go so far as to freak out about it 24/7 to the point where they could convince someone around them that they are crazy?  It just makes me think I must be unbalanced in some way.  So as one can imagine, the fear surfaces from time to time. 
Can anyone relate? lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline kliaceleste

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Schizophrenia fear
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
I so feel you. I promise I go through the same crap you are/was going through don't worry. I think about it all day everyday
Bookmark and Share

Offline bonhommic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:22:28 AM »
Mm yes, I know that fear all too well. It's the one currently monopolizing my health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christina10778

• A.K.A. "Noble Queen"
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »
I think a lot of us have the same fears....

I just posted this today...hope it helps  :happy0151:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6nU5vJpvs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6nU5vJpvs</a>
Bookmark and Share
My Health Anxiety Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8-5ZQ6ZyRtI4ccjpE_4QwQ/videos

1 Peter 5:7 - "casting all of your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
I'm definitely not an expert, but I think it's easy for people who have OCD to mistake it for schizophrenia.

I think people who have OCD can get obsessed with a disturbing thought, for example jumping off a bridge, but a person with schizophrenia hears a distinct voice that is not their own, like the women in the mans mind who was schizophrenic who you were talking to, that tells them to do something disturbing, like jump off a bridge.

IDK
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
My dad often claims to hear voices in his head and see things that aren't really there, always has really bad headaches. he's been put on Abillify. He felt he might have a lick of schz.

There are many different types, but yeah I couldn't imagine having that.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Billiam

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
The good thing is you rationalize the thought so you do not have that condition. If you noticed talking to the man did he seem embarrassed or worried about the woman in his head? Or was it normal for him? I've read time and time again that people with it don't really think there's anything wrong or don't rationalize the woman in his head with the disorder. If you follow what I'm saying. I had this same fear and still think it time to time but what keeps it at bay is that if I had it I wouldn't know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emiloo09

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:49:44 PM »
This is crazy, honestly. I just had some scary thoughts a few weeks ago that I was maybe schizophrenic. Sometimes, I cannot catch my thoughts and I sort of blank out sometimes (thanks meds). But like everyone else said. If we can sit here and have rational thoughts and fears about being schizophrenic, then we most likely are not. It makes sense. Schizophrenics are unpredictable and do not feel ashamed when they have "word salad" or hallucinations.

I think it is just my anxiety messing with me, as usual! :D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mr.PP

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »
As long as you know your thoughts are irrational and be able to think that you are going crazy, you are not going crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HalfMoonRun

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
My uncle was a serious schizophrenic, so during some of my worse anxiety episodes I have thought that too. I usually think that genetics are going to make me get everything a family member has had. But like others have said, you can't THINK yourself into having schizophrenia. My uncle never once agreed with anyone, including many doctors, that he actually was schizophrenic. To him, everyone else was crazy and HE was the only sane one who saw what was really going on around him. He constantly felt like people were out to get him. He thought that satellites were watching him from space and the TV was communicating with him. He also thought that his car could become gigantic and run over entire cities without him even knowing. There were so many things he thought I couldn't possibly mention them all here, but it's pretty ridiculous stuff as you can tell. But he never ONCE thought he had any mental problem. He frequently would refuse to take any medication.

If you can tell the difference between reality and what is in your mind, you are most definitely NOT schizophrenic. Schizophrenics have lost touch with reality and they have no idea when/how they lost it. It's the anxiety that makes you think these things. Anxiety gives every condition a "seemingly" real basis, but it's the greatest mimicker of diseases I have ever known. Sounds just like you are so afraid of losing touch with reality that the anxiety is manifesting itself that way.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: