Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nighttime Insomnia, Confusion and Anxiety When Waking  (Read 11901 times)

Offline greeneyes

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nighttime Insomnia, Confusion and Anxiety When Waking
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
The biggest issue for me right now, and what pushed me to seek help, is  that I am waking up in the middle of the night, usually around 3am and feeling anxious and on edge. I wake up confused and not able to understand time. I can read the numbers but I don't know if 3am is or isn't the time I should be waking up, and so I burst out of bed and turn on my light and try to get ready for work thinking I've slept through my alarm somehow. Then after running around and having the light on for a bit I wake up some and realize I still have at least 3 hours before I need to get up, so I lay back down and try to sleep. Then it happens again within the hour, and maybe this time I'm less inclined to think I'm late, because I remember waking up before, but I still don't "get" what time it is and I'm on edge. This repeats until it actually is time for me to get up.

On the weekend it doesn't happen as much, and I think part of why the weekends are better is because during the week I sleep alone in another room, and weekends I sleep in my boyfriend's room with him (we have different schedules). So the scenery change means it isn't a work day, and so I "get" that when I wake up. Also knowing there won't be an alarm going off in a few hours helps too. Nevertheless there have been times I've woken up confused on a Saturday morning worried it's actually Friday or something.

This causes me great stress because not only can I not stay asleep throughout the night, I'm freaking out whenever I wake up. I take citalopram daily, for anxiety and mild depression, but I'm not sure if that's working (been on it for 3 months, still having issues) and I was also given trazodone to use "as needed" for sleep, but I stopped taking it (with doc's permission) because it made me feel like a zombie. He told me if I'm that sensitive to the trazodone, then Ambien would be very very strong. I can take over the counter sleep/allergy stuff, but only if I can make sure I get at least 9 hours of sleep, and I can't always do that.

I also need to add that when I do sleep more, I have bad nightmares either about things from my past that feel real bad emotionally, or just bad/negative themes that don't feel as bad, but are things you would see in scary movies or something.

I need to have another appointment with the doctor to talk about this stuff more, but I was wondering if anyone else had night time confusion and anxiety? Did you find anything the helped?

Bookmark and Share

Offline surfmonkey

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nighttime Insomnia, Confusion and Anxiety When Waking
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
Hey greeneyes :) how are you today? I have some of these same problems. The confusion could be from either being in a really deep sleep and suddenly waking or maybe its the medication? I have taken ambien and let me tell you that stuff is terrible! I still couldn't sleep after taking it and I swear I saw rainbow colored maple leaves all over my room. That's bad stuff man! I get many nightmares frequently. When I sleep to much and if I don't get a sound sleep. I find when I heavily sleep I have nightmares and can't wake up. Yoga,eating right, and maybe making some adjustments could help. Try to make your room only for sleeping. Dark is better than with a light. Make your bed a complete kingdom. Anything to make you super comfy! I'm starting this because I can't take it anymore. I hate waking up at 5am and being anxious and then can't get back to sleep for hours. Its terrible!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousShelly

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nighttime Insomnia, Confusion and Anxiety When Waking
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
I have a problem and just posted a thread .http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,35816.0.html
I tend to wake up confused but normal come around pretty fast but today i waled around in a confused panicked stare, it was very scary  :(
it doesn't help my anxiety and now i'm nervous of it happening again.
i think its happens if we wake up too fast and part of our brain is till asleep but its scary not being sure who you are, where you etc......
Bookmark and Share

Tags: