Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: A retired neurologists response to my MS fears....  (Read 40834 times)

Offline orangthud

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: A retired neurologists response to my MS fears....
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 02:40:58 AM »
 ::)  I thought the samee thing but it was all just in my head
Bookmark and Share

Offline ekr22

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
This post gives me a piece of mind. Thank you.  I would also love to see the original post....maybe we have similar symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline holograf00

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »
i didn't read everything written here, but just want to tell you that if you are concerned about ms you can find out through brain/spinal cord MRI. i walked around thinking i had MS for 9 yrs, finally went for the MRI and no, it wasn't MS, but syringomyelia. i should have gotten the MRI earlier on. thinking i had MS cost me to lose a lot of time in the prime of my life (ages 29-38). i can't believe i did that and i really regret it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline irishgirl7

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »
This doc that replied has helped me with my ms worries tremendously. I have been having terrible anxiety today and have very bad sensitivity and pain behind my ear and down my jaw where it meets the ear and into my neck. I'm so scared I'm at the early signs of bells palsey. The pain is getting worse and I was wondering if anyone has had this. Help ...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Adelydee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
God bless the person who recommended this forum to me tonight. I've been hypochondriac for quite a bit but funnily enough, my worries are related to my fiancÚ and not.to me. He's been a slower speaker all his life and confessed he's always had a problem with excess saliva. He doesn't drool insanely but sometimes he will have moments where he has to wipe the corner of his mouth after rattling something off or will have saliva welling up in his mouth when he's talking. Other than that, the only things I could pinpoint are the fact that he's left-handed and his right-hand side muscles are stronger - this is something a physio said to him. He has muscle twitching when he falls asleep and sometimes when he's stood up talking, he will bend his knees just a tiny bit, a movement that looks like his knees are dropping just a slightly bit. He says it's something he does consciously and he feels perfectly in balance. We've been to the GP and he dismissed the symptoms saying he was perfectly fine. Nevertheless, we insisted on seeing a neurologist as well,just to be on the safe side. The neurologist did some tests but thought there was nothing wrong with him. Of course, under my abnoxious insisting my fiancÚ demanded an MRI scan and the neuro had to refer him. The scan results came back fine. Now, as a lot of you here would agree, this sort of scenario is far from being able to put an end to the inner turmoil.
I can't let go of thinking that there is something wrong: the occasional pausing in sentences or repeating a word(very mild stammering) and the saliva excess aren't normal in my view but we just won't get anywhere with these doctors being constantly reassuring. Does anyone have any idea or heard of anything like this?I'm ever so grateful for.any response.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chesneym19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Wow! This has really helped me I'm glad I read this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline chelsnic

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Hi I'm Chelsea!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »
I'm a serious Heart worrier! You would think that at age 21 I wouldn't have much to worry about but that unfortunately isn't true for me. For some reason I've had this terrible pain in my left shoulder for the past week or so and I've felt very tired! I also have been sitting in a car for 2 days and have just traveled to Colorado (much higher altitude than I'm used to) But I'm convinced my heart is about to give out at any moment! I'm absolutely freaking out and can't enjoy my vacation. What should I do?
Bookmark and Share
Pray, and let God worry.

Offline auks26

• auks26
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
I should read this every time I'm tempted to google something.  I still struggle with how a medical degree allows them to dismiss signs and symptoms from sites like the Mayo Clinic, or why those sites even put those things on there if they are only useful for docs, but I guess I'll have to just trust them
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rangers14

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »
I think the mental symptoms of anxietyu are the worst as so hard to lose and convince who agrees?
Bookmark and Share

Offline eizeral

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2014, 02:25:36 PM »
What does he mean by "they appear as a constellation of symptoms" and "occur simultaneously"? My symptoms...the first started 4 weeks ago and the second started 3 weeks ago. One is paresthesias, the other is muscle tightness/tension in my quads. The former has let up a lot since the appearance of the latter.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2014, 03:59:43 AM »
What does he mean by "they appear as a constellation of symptoms" and "occur simultaneously"? My symptoms...the first started 4 weeks ago and the second started 3 weeks ago. One is paresthesias, the other is muscle tightness/tension in my quads. The former has let up a lot since the appearance of the latter.

It sure sounds like you pinched a nerve. I pinched a nerve on my neck while working out 2 months ago and even after several visits to my chiropractor, it still hasn't gone away. Anxiety can make a pinched nerve (and its symptoms) worse... it's had me "convinced" I have MS, even though I should know better....
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Melissa509

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
I've had MS for 10 years now, It's a piece of cake compared to my anxiety and fear of cancer!! I've been having shoulder pain for 6 months now, and just read Lung cancer can cause it!! UGH
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
This is the greatest writing I have ever read in response to fears of autoimmune diseases. She was very thorough in explaining how the mind records information to use at a later time to help preserve the body. I have never heard a doctor say what she did when she explained that the brain cannot tel the difference between a real threat and an imagined one. Wonderful response from this doctor.Thanks for posting it.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline AnxiousMelBelle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »
She said The fatigue associated with MS and quite debilitating and most patients with the disease are relegated to bed rest.

That is not true at all. While 80% of people with MS experience some fatigue, not all do and it's different with each individual. I've had MS for 10 years and have never been relegated to bed rest lol. and out of the 10 years I've had MS, there's only 2 people I've know to have severe MS that they were bed bound.
Bookmark and Share
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:27

Tags: