Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Death phobia taking back seat to AIDS Phobia!  (Read 3384 times)

Offline nicki4nyc

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Death phobia taking back seat to AIDS Phobia!
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »
I've been married for 7 years and my husband has cheated on me in the past.  I've had two AIDS/HIV tests!  The female has had the tests as well and we were all negative.  He has been very good and our marriage has improved tremendously since.  However, I have GAD amongst other issues and this experience has taken its toll on me, so much so that if I get a cold or stomach bug, I think I have AIDS!!!  I'm losing my mind!!!  Doctors won't give you an AIDS test every day... and even though I was told that its doesn't seem to be enough, even though I am always told I have a clean bill of heath.  I am also afraid I may have breast cancer, general cancer, blood cancer... I'm soo sooo scared I can hardly live!!!!  I'm losing my mind and not even a negative test will work, well maybe day by day only!  But it will keep resurfacing.  I don't want to live like this.  Most people don't obsess unless there are symptoms.  I'm backwards... no symptoms also means to me that I have something just hidden... any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ladyK

• Poke This Member
Re: Death phobia taking back seat to AIDS Phobia!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:44:35 PM »
There are many here to help you understand your feelings.  I hope you find the support you need.  An irrational fear is very hard to control.  I used to have phobias as a younger woman: some have stayed with me as normal fears (spiders/snakes).  I once manifested a male figure standing at my beside, I was petrified of the dark.  I don't know how I ever got any sleep as a teenager.  But as the years went on I finally got ahold of that.  I talk to myself and try to stay on the positive side until I don't feel so out of control.  Hope this helps. 

Take care, ladyK
Bookmark and Share

Offline Shannon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »
I have the worst AIDS phobia in the world.
I work in a law office and for some reason there is blood on multiple different paperwork and files and i seem to come into contact with it a lot! i always touch it too because i flip through the paperwork and dont notice it until ive already touched it! Plus i live at home with my brother who is an ex-heroin addict so im convinced he has it because of that. I am constantly in fear. Im engaged and so scared im going to catch it and give it to my fiance or get a cut while im doing the dishes or something and give it to my family. i do not know what to do i am so scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thunderbreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »
Oh I really wish I was you.Mine was reversed from u  :laugh3:
TBH,when I have this phobia, I always use rationalisation,like "look ,if toilet seats have it,everyone include the toilet lady staying inside everyday 8 hours will get infected.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
One of the things you really have to focus on with an HIV/AIDS phobia is that it's actually not that easy of a virus to contract, even with a real, serious exposure event! (Note: I'm not saying go out and have unprotected sex or poke yourself with used needles; that would not be very smart.) And most of the time when we think we could have been "exposed," it's a situation that no doctor would ever say, "Yes, you should monitor this and get tested" because the risk is nil! It doesn't live in the environment for very long at all. It's alive only momentarily outside of the body. Dried blood cannot infect you. There have been doctors that have been splashed with HIV+ blood numerous times and still didn't contract it.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: