Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Beat anxiety without meds  (Read 6042 times)

Offline farhanahmed

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Beat anxiety without meds
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:39:44 AM »
This is a long post but it is absolutely worth reading.

The last couple of weeks I came to probably the most important realisation of my life so far, and the best thing is it is so simple yet it explains everything about anxiety for me. Anxiety is simply a feeling of dread. Anxiety comes due to a hormone that is released in fight or flight situations. You're either going to run away or fight. It's an emotion that is extremely valuable to us as a species, without it we wouldn't be here today.

What must be understood is that we live in a world where we HAVE to fight to survive. Our very purpose is survival. Here are two very common situations where people must either choose to fight or flee: 1. The work environment. 2. The social environment.

The work environment: Choosing to fight:

By fight I don't mean fists and left hooks, I mean perseverance, dedication, a good strong work ethic. The ability to take criticism and work on it. It requires you to be strong and to believe in yourself, which requires a great deal of effort and commitment. That is the price we must pay if we choose to fight and excel at work.

The work environment: Choosing to Flee:

When we choose to flee from working world because we fear things like hard work, criticism, evaluations then we have a problem. How do we survive without a job? Although it may seem easier to avoid the tough things that the work environment brings in the short term, we still have to live with constant fear of the future and constant anxiety. That is the price we pay for fleeing.

The social environment: Choosing to fight:

In social situations someone may tease you in front of others, oh the embarrassment! How can I deal with that? Well by teasing them back of course. It's all part of the 'fight back' mentality. We will often come across douchebags who have insecurities and will therefore try to prey on the weaker ones of the pack. Truly confident people don't need to do that. Defending yourself from douchebags is the price we pay if we want to be comfortable and confident in the social environment.

The social environment: Choosing to flee:

We all want an awesome group of friends and girlfriend/boyfriend. After all human beings are inherently social creatures, without being social we wouldn't exist today. People with social phobias choose to be loners because they are choosing to run away, but then have to live with constant anxiety and a feeling of emptiness- that is the price they pay for fleeing.

So as you can see it all boils down to a choice. Your anxiety is the result of a choice, be it a conscious or sub-conscious decision. The best thing about choosing the fight-mentality is that it is infinitely better than choosing to flee. Each choice has a price on its head but the difference is that a fighter will reap the rewards whereas those who choose to flee will live unfulfilled and frustrated lives.

To BEAT anxiety you must choose to fight. You must look at everything that scares you and choose to fight that fear.

As a side note, notice how celebrities and sports stars have a constant fight mentality about them. For example Beyonce has created an alter ego on stage by the name of Sasha Fierce. Fierce = fighter. Christina Aguilera released a song called Fighter. Notice when sportsmen and women are interviewed they always focus on the positive and work hard ethic. Go to youtube and type "hilarious andy roddick interview". It's not really hilarious but it does encapsulate everything I have been saying if you watch it till the very end (it's about 4 minutes long I think).

So that's it, that's all there is to it. Don't waste another second and tell yourself that you are a fighter. Choose to fight because ever since I made the change my life has been, quite simply, amazing. I feel strong mentally. I don't worry about the future any more and I have been a lot more successful with the opposite sex which feels great!

Good luck and thanks for reading this far, I hope this post helps you become stronger.
Bookmark and Share

Offline abaggett2

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Beat anxiety without meds
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
 :bigsmile:  Thanks for that post.  I am trying to do CBT therapy on my own and this is one of my biggest hurdles.  For some reason..out of the blue...I hate going into stores and standing in line to check out.  In fact when I did go into a store recently I was fine in the store, just had a panic attack when I went to check out.  It was awful.  But in the book it says I have to face my fear head on and not fear it any more!  Easier said than done...but I am working on it.
Bookmark and Share
Have a blessed day!  God Loves you!

Offline grateful

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:46:15 AM »
Well Said!! Funny that this was always my moto in life before I allowed anxiety to take hold. I woke up everyday and said I will do one thing today that I fear most. I overcame my fear of public speaking which led to a huge promotion. After 10 years I can get on an airplane just fine. What I have chosen lately is take the road of least resistance I.E. Calling off sick if I'm too anxious canceling appt. This is going to take some practice and discipline but I agree it can heal you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dreamygrl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
Thanks for the post!
It has given me some things to think about, and hopefully start some changes in my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline farhanahmed

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »
glad I can be of help everyone. Always remember that although anxiety can seem like the worst thing ever, it IS beatable. People have had anxiety problems before and they have conquered it. It is a personal challenge and you will come out stronger when you beat it. You will know what life was like with anxiety and when you beat it you will have a renewed appreciation for yourself and life. So keep on at it, be thankful that it is beatable. I would wish you guys good luck, but you don't need it.  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline ferrit04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Positivity
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »
Hi,

This is my first post on the anxiety forum.

I am currently suffering quite bad with my anxiety its not stopping me from doing every day-to-day tasks but would just like to enjoy life and stop being so panicy (if thats a word lol).

I love my freinds and family and try and always look on the bright side of life.

Mostly my anxiety is fear of mental health, My aunty suffered with mental health and my girlfreinds dad did and everytime i have anxiety i can only think that i am going to go insane or have a mental breakdown and be put in hospital which i cannot think of anything worse as i see how some people look at mental illness as a weakness and judge.

I really want to get over this hurdle in my life as i have a beautiful baby boy want him to enjoy every minute. I tend to google anxiety alot which really does not help me as there are alot of negative thoughts surrounding anxiety and just want someone to tell me its ok (as bad as it sounds). My anxiety has been quite bad for around 3 months but have not stopped doing my every day thing however do feel anxious in some situations. I just want to feel me again and enjoy chilling out.

I would love to write down everything that makes me anxious however find it hard to find parts of my life that are anxiety ridden, I love playing football which De-stresses me but want reassurance all the time which frustrates me so much, I want to be at a point where im happy and trust my mental stability.

This is where im at and would love any positive feedback about my situation.

Thanks for your help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline blueridgemtns

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
Great post...I agree 100%
Bookmark and Share

Offline mothmama

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
 :action-smiley-065: this is wonderful, and inspiring. Thank you for sharing. Your method falls in line with the Exposure Model in CBT.  Basically it says we have to face our fears to overcome them. This works really well for social anxiety, phobias and agoraphobia. You can do it gradually, or all at once ("flooding").

My hesitation with being in "fight mode" is that I am always trying to quiet the neg thoughts down and surrender to the beast within so that symptoms pass.  I have GAD.  Maybe I should just not let it keep me from doing things I like.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msaurabh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:15 PM »
my question is i get tired with the fight mode. yes the fight mode helps me a lot. bt continuosly in the fight mode somehow makes me feel tired. and then again those thoughts start coming in
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jones

• 1Peter 2:24
  • Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
Although I have to agree with you on your basic concept, I'm not really 100% convinced that fighting is the answer. I understand that you shouldn't just lay down and let anxiety and fear walk all over you, but what about Claire Weekes idea of floating passed the anxiety. To not fight the feeling; to understand that that is all it is - a feeling, nothing more. It cannot hurt you, so allow the feeling to wash over you.

I do have to say emphatically, that this is not an easy thing to do. But once you stop fighting and allow the feeling to just be, you realize that it cannot hurt you or make you go crazy (which are the things we most fear). The idea behind this is that once you come to this realization, you stop fearing the fear and the anxiety dissipates.

Just wanted to throw this out there, not trying to argue.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
Although I have to agree with you on your basic concept, I'm not really 100% convinced that fighting is the answer. I understand that you shouldn't just lay down and let anxiety and fear walk all over you, but what about Claire Weekes idea of floating passed the anxiety. To not fight the feeling; to understand that that is all it is - a feeling, nothing more. It cannot hurt you, so allow the feeling to wash over you.

I do have to say emphatically, that this is not an easy thing to do. But once you stop fighting and allow the feeling to just be, you realize that it cannot hurt you or make you go crazy (which are the things we most fear). The idea behind this is that once you come to this realization, you stop fearing the fear and the anxiety dissipates.

Just wanted to throw this out there, not trying to argue.  :winking0008:

Wonderful post, IMHO:)

To me, finding LASTING peace will come through acceptance and embracing actions and habits and mindsets that can lead one down their healing path. Fighting tooth and nail against anxiety is not the best approach...again in my opinion. We can say / think, "I hate this...I hate anxiety...I cannot believe this is happening to me!!! I MUST get better damnit...I must get better NOW....I must get better NOW or I'm never going to be the person I know I can be that I WANT to be! This sucks...it isn't fair! I have to get better NOW!

Creating inner turmoil by fighting anxiety rarely works. To those who have been able to do it...I wish you well, sincerely, and blessings in your continued successes, definitely. The path for most, as it has been shown by history and experiences, will be through acceptance and a well-defined and followed through upon gameplan. As mentioned, acceptance and, then, doing the right things is not an easy thing to come by, for most. But, lasting solace can be found....it has been found by many to our own extents....too many have found lasting peace for us to feel that relief just is simply not available to us (me, you, each of us). Anxiety / panic can suck. It can dominate our lives....we know this...we have lived it. Going to 'battle' against yourself...your makeup...your being makes little sense, to me. This is no way means rolls over and let anxiety have its way with us....far from it. When we struggle to the levels most often talked about here on The AZ (which are pretty high levels...pretty high levels of lifeflow interruption), there needs to be an 'relief plan', so to speak, for each of us that embraces actions and habits and mindsets that have the proven possibility of moving us towards, and down, a healing path. With meds....without meds, there has to be a progressive game plan. We do have to work upon getting better, for sure. Anxiety loves holding reign over our daily lives. It doesn't want to let go. It typically won't let go (for too long, anyway) unless we learn how to co-exist, so to speak, alongside our mental health challenges. And, we sure can do this.....and we sure can live so very well despite having anxiety / panic issues. Anxiety does not have to be the major definer of our overall well-being. Do not accept this....that anxiety will control our future. Sure, it will likely be a part of our future. But learn to accept you can live well....you can live without being dominated by anxiety....you can live calling almost all of the shots in your life - yourself:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety