Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Can CT scans detect MS?  (Read 11645 times)

Offline micah10

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Can CT scans detect MS?
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:02:58 AM »
Just wondering if anyone knew this.... but can ct scans (with contrast) possibly detect ms?  I ask b/c I had one 2 years ago when I was experiencing constant, unrelenting headaches.  The scan came back normal.  So, for those of you fearing about brain tumors bc of headaches, I went through your fears and know how you feel.  But, from what my dr told me back then, headaches really aren't the first signs of brain tumors.  There are usually more severe first symptoms of bt's...

Thanks.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietyfreak

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can CT scans detect MS?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:15:59 AM »
Hey, I'm scared about having a brain tumor..but I barely  have headaches but do you know what the first symptoms are and if you do could you tell me please?
Bookmark and Share
A true friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.

Offline micah10

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »
Actually, I didn't talk to the dr in great length about symptoms of bt as she knows better than giving me that kind of information.   :angel-smiley-006:

But, rest assure, that symptoms tend to be pretty severe and you (or a family member) would undoubetedly know that something was wrong..

Anyone have any idea about the ct scan question I have?
Bookmark and Share

Offline woozer

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:06:40 PM »
I had a ct scan 2 years ago without contrast and it showed some white spots so the dr ordered an mri. Everything turned out fine. The white spots were actually demylenation from migraines, very common. So, to answer your question, a ct scan CAN show them enough information to know if there is possible MS. However, the only sure way to diagnose MS is with an MRI , neurological exam and as a last resort, lumbar puncture. Good luck, I'm sure everything will turn out okay for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline micah10

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:25:30 PM »
Thanks woozer!!!!!!   :action-smiley-065:

That made my day.  Since I just had a ct scan with contrast 2 years ago and that came back fine, that gives me more reassurance that I am fine as my understanding is that ms lesions can appear well before any symptoms are present.  I know an mri is what is used to diagnose ms, but as long as a ct scan could at least pick up some abnormality that would lead the dr to conduct more testing, I'm fine with that.  Plus, my field neuro was normal, as well as my emg/ncs...  So the mri is the last step (hopefully)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks again for the great info!
Bookmark and Share

Offline woozer

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:38:21 PM »
You are welcome!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: