Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Breathing obsession can anybody help  (Read 4568 times)

Offline albomafia

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Breathing obsession can anybody help
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:31:50 AM »
Hi I have had this breathing obsession for a year now. Im always conscious of my breathing. As soon as I wake up my mind is on breathing.It feels like I have to breathe manually like my body wont breathe by it self(knowng that it will doesnt help me much) Nobody is supossed to be aware of their breathin but Iam always aware of it< I have had anxiety for 10 years and been on celexa ssri or watever for 7 years, I am thinking maybe the pills did something to me to make me like this. I had this same problem before it went away for 2 years now this is the second time it has come back and this time staying longer. Iam taking 20mg celexa. Sometimes I have a thoughts like why do i have to breathe to stay alive why cant I just live without thinking about breathing these thoughts sound stupid when you say them but in your head they are very scary. Anybody know how to overcome this problem whats the most effective way, Ive tried distracting my self and not worrying about it but its still always their, What can i do anybody have any ideas I would love to hear from you thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline FeelingOptimistic

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
Re: Breathing obsession can anybody help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
Hi al,

It's scary to live like that, I know.  When I am in a heightened anxietal state, I feel like I can't breathe, can't swallow, can't fall asleep without the fear of suffocating, etc...  If you've been checked by a doctor and they say it's anxiety, then maybe you need a different med or more of what you are on.   I take a generic Celexa and from what I know, what you are taking (20 mg) is nothing.  You can overcome this!  Take good care and sending positive vibes your way~

Feeling Optimistic :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ocdengineer

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »
Check out the information on meditation on my blog.  I think it could help you learn to be conscious of your breath, but use that to your advantage.  Being conscious of one's breath is actually very helpful.  If you are conscious, you can learn to control it through meditation.  Let me know what you think.

http://anxietyzone.net/ocdengineer/

Later,
OE
Bookmark and Share

Offline yellowrose

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »
Hi I have had this breathing obsession for a year now. Im always conscious of my breathing. As soon as I wake up my mind is on breathing.It feels like I have to breathe manually like my body wont breathe by it self(knowng that it will doesnt help me much) Nobody is supossed to be aware of their breathin but Iam always aware of it< I have had anxiety for 10 years and been on celexa ssri or watever for 7 years, I am thinking maybe the pills did something to me to make me like this. I had this same problem before it went away for 2 years now this is the second time it has come back and this time staying longer. Iam taking 20mg celexa. Sometimes I have a thoughts like why do i have to breathe to stay alive why cant I just live without thinking about breathing these thoughts sound stupid when you say them but in your head they are very scary. Anybody know how to overcome this problem whats the most effective way, Ive tried distracting my self and not worrying about it but its still always their, What can i do anybody have any ideas I would love to hear from you thank you

I have triggers that make me focus on my breathing. Have u ever been diagnosed with OCD?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blasphemy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:17:39 AM »
hey how are you,

Yeah i know what your talking about about being conscious about your breath. I have had this problem since i was 16 and now im 24. How i first stumbled onto it is from just concentrating on it and then came the what if's , like what if i had this forever and sure enough the what if's are what made me stuck. The past few years though i can honestly tell you, and i never thought i would be saying this, but now i hardly think of it, cause im fixated on other problems lol.  For the longest time i doubted this was a OCD problem and that i was dealing with it, cause i thought i was doing this myself to get like attention or something, but now looking at other people's posts like yourself i see that other people are dealing with the same B.S. and that it is a problem that for now is out of our control, I know this may be hard to do but try looking at this problem as your friend , and not something that you have to deal with everyday...cause sure enough if your like me you'll change, and you'll look back it as not something hated but something you went though and got over. ^_^...let me know what you think
Bookmark and Share

Offline Babygirl51342

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »
Hello I have been suffering with the same exact problem now did you find relief??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Babygirl51342

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:56:23 AM »
Hello I have been going through the same thing for 3 weeks now and I'm just wondering are you better now? Is there hope for me? All day everyday I am constantly aware of my breathing controlling it manually instead of letting it just happen. It's starting to really take a toll on me and I have no clue what to do. I'm seeing a therapist today but it don't know how this will end. I'm so afraid and feel utterly hopeless. Did you get any better?
Bookmark and Share

Offline GoldenFalcon202

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
I get that sometimes too.

One thing that helps me is to just distract myself-draw, or read, or watch TV. After a while, you'll become so interested in what you're doing that you forget to breathe manually, and from there your body just takes over. Breathing is a reflex-it's automatic. Just trust that your body will do what it needs to do :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Babygirl51342

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
Thank you for your kind words but it isn't as simple it's turned into something greater if I could distract my mind easier I would but it's gotten extremely bad
Bookmark and Share

Tags: