Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dad suffers from severe anxiety/depression, what can I do to help?  (Read 3278 times)

Offline stanggirl65

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Hello ladies and gents,

My dad is apparently suffering from some severe depression and anxiety. He used to be the most outgoing social person you've ever known. Then in a matter of a couple of weeks he went from that to suffering from these issues. Here's a list of his symptoms:

-lost interest in everything he enjoyed doing
-scared to leave house
-nervous around people, even family
-has lost a huge amount of weight
-no hope
-short term memory loss

He had tried to commit ***** once. He recovered and he went to a short term facility and was going to a psychiatrist and therapy group. While the psychiatrist did try him on several meds she only kept him on them for about 3 weeks. None of them seemed to help, not even a little. Then she decided he was "making it up" and told him so. Even his therapy group told him to "get over it". They took him off his meds. Just this past weekend he tried to commit ***** again, by antifreeze  :( Luckily he was not successful. I don't know what to do! He tells them that if he goes home he's just going to try it again, he has no hope anymore. When I go to visit him he's just sitting in the dark, staring at the wall. All he can say is that he's so scared and he doesn't want to live like this. It isn't him and he's ashamed. Any ideas? Should we send him to a long term facility? There's not even on available in our state and I hate leaving him. Honestly I would rather see my Dad drugged up on really powerful drugs then to see him like this. Maybe that's not right but it's like wanting to see your loved one on morphine rather than in pain. I feel like I've failed him. He keeps begging me to help him :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuz

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dad suffers from severe anxiety/depression, what can I do to help?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
God bless you for taking the time to search around for help.. The best advice I can give you, and this comes from 25+ years of experience and now recovery, is getting him a copy of Claire Weekes "Hope and Help For Your Nerves" and preferably the "audio" version and thren tell him to listen to it over and over and over.. This audio will not only give him the understanding, which you intially need for recovery, but it will also teach him methods on how to recover.. ALL recovery methods out there are based off Claire Weekes's research as a scientist and doctor in the field of the nervous system so why try anything else? The reason you have to keep listening to it over and over is because anxiety sufferers easily slip back into bad thought patterns becasue thats the way we natuarlly respond to the thoughts and feelings (symptoms).. However, you have to learn and train yourself to respond differently until it becomes a natural habit and thats why you have to keep listening to it.. Believe me, I went through it all for over 25 years, including depression but even that lifted as I began to recover.. Anyone who is either recovered or is on the road to recovery will tell you that Claire Weeks holds the answers..

Good luck!!
Cuz
Bookmark and Share

Offline PCM

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »
The symptoms are all common to having a body react to over production of adrenaline.

"Claire Weekes "Hope and Help For Your Nerves"
Second this, if your dad can possibly get exe rise, if possible long walks, this help mucho, any activity will help. Dealt with Depression, mostly brought on by anxiety for many years. Sitting in a dark room, staring at a wall is adding to the spiral, get him into sun light. Long term care facilities, at least in NYC are warehouses. He needs some activity no matter how "depressed", tired, scared etc he feels.  Some of the benzo drug, short term can cut down on anxiety/fears, very fast acting, ask about Ativan.

"While the psychiatrist did try him on several meds she only kept him on them for about 3 weeks"
What, are they short on pills? most anti Depressives take 3 weeks to kick in.

"All he can say is that he's so scared and he doesn't want to live like this. It isn't him and he's ashamed."
If your Pop, had a leg wound, would he deny it part of him, no, he would have it treated. Just as he would likely help someone if they had a temporary illness. He feels week and vulnerable now, but this episode is but a small part of his life; he is totally correct this is not him, it is fear which he is reacting to. No one wants to die, but we can go to extremes when we are in pain, drinking anti freeze is not an answer.

Get him the Claire Weeks audio.
Bookmark and Share

Offline denirig

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
 First *HUGE HUG* second there is hope really there is. Your dad can get through this, Claire Weekes is wonderful, she has away of explaining what is not only happening in the mind with anxiety but also how it can affect our physical man as well. It takes time to recover but one can recover. Tell your dad that he is not alone that there are others out there that know exactly what he is going through. Also read the book yourself it will help you understand what is happening to him as well as giving you encouragement. It also will give you the knowledge to ask the question that need to be asked to the doctors. There are medicine out there that work but they can take anywhere from two to six weeks to fully kick in. Any psychiatrist worth a grain of salt would know this. It is a hard road but it is one that can be traveled, tell your dad to hang in there. But you hang in there to, you have found a place that can give you knowledge and encouragement. You are not alone in this either, God Bless
Bookmark and Share
God Bless
denirig

relearning how to live life to the fullest and thanking God all the way:)

Offline Anxiexter

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
Several meds on 3 weeks? Told him he was making it up?

Is she a psychiatrist?

OMG   :sprachlos020:

Give our dad a possibility of having an appointment with a real psychiatrist.

Hang on there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mom12735

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
Stanggirl65,

How is your father doing?

You posted in April and a lot us were/are concerned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »
Your dad needs a full and comprehensive medical work up for neurological disorders, hormone imbalances or deficiencies, and any other condition that may present with those symptoms.  Encourage your dad to look at his symptoms as indicators of a medical condition.  Compare it to diabetes, high blood pressure and the like to discourage the stigma that comes with being depressed and anxious, that it is not a question of his character but a real medical condition that needs to be treated, like a broken leg or cancer. Take care 
Bookmark and Share

Offline MikiD

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »

Hello,

My father is going down the same road.
He hasn't reached ***** yet but is already dying inside.
He always had the habit of controlling me and turning down every idea I have, am I the wrong person to help him since I am too close to him and he has this habit of say NO to me on everything ?
Any tips are welcome.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: