Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Tight band around left calf/shin  (Read 11526 times)

Offline GillLFC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tight band around left calf/shin
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
Hey, can anyone help. I've had numerous neurological symptoms that come and go over the last 3 months since my anxiety went boom.... burning, numbness, tingling, crawling etc... and they're almost always on my legs.

On and off over the last few weeks I've had a sensation like an elastic band around my left calf, in the middle. It's accompanied by a tingly numb feeling sometimes too, and sometimes it's like it's buzzing or trembling? the calf also twitches like crazy, especially on a night. I've also had a feeling in the same calf of a feather being brushed up and down it when I walk. I have had a bit of the same sensations in my right calf too but much milder and much less frequent.

I got good news from the hospital on Monday that my blood work is at it's best for a while (I have Crohn's) and I was supposed to see my councellor for the first time today, I was excited about this but I'm not well, typical. I've not been properly sick for a year, not even a cold but yesterday I came down with a tummy bug, I've lost 5 lb's in 24 hours from all the D!!........so I've had to cancel. I haven't heard back from him yet about a rescheduled appt, I really do hope being sick and not going hasn't caused a problem.

Back to my problem, do you think this is from tense muscles or irritated nerves? Because i've never really worried about MS or anything but it's freaking me out that it keeps coming back and I can't seem to do anything to take it away.

Anybody ever get this? Thanks

Gill x
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tight band around left calf/shin
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:54:19 AM »
I remember having that band feeling around my leg.  It felt like I was wearing a tight sock but wasn't.  I told my neuro at the time.  His response, "Hmmm that's weird."  lol.  So really mustn't  send too many "neuro nasty" bells off to a neuro.  And that was in 2000.  So remember all kinds of 'neuro-ish' symptoms show up with anxiety.  What you've listed, I've had.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline GillLFC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:39:37 AM »
Thanks sixpack, you've really been through it haven't you? everytime I've experienced a symptom or read somebody elses you've had it! Yes it is kind of like having a sock on! So you're neuro thought nothing of it, that's reassuring, thank you. It's so taxing all these fluctuating symptoms but you're a great inspiration sixpack! You tamed the beast so can I! I'm pretty certain all these symptoms are because I developed an irrational fear that my legs would give way. Can't believe I'm able to do this to myself.

I am so grateful I found this forum, it's welcoming posters like yourself are a godsend.

Thanks again

Gill x
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
awwww what a nice thing to say.

well when I'm worried about a neuro disease, I have neuro symptoms.  When I worried about a lady issue, its, um well, lady things....  I'm not sure how tamed my BEAST is BUT I will say that when IT is flinging stuff at me, I'm more cognizant of where it comes from.  I do have my moments though.  lol
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline GillLFC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »
You're quite welcome! I've seen how many times you've reassured posters (including myself) with your kind responses. It might be something you are benefitting from yourself too, i know I like to help others if I can but when you're going through a tough time you can become quite angry and self centered, it takes a good person to do the opposite, and we are all very grateful!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fenway77

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
I just came across this as I'm experiencing something similar.  I would say about a month ago...I experienced a "tightness" in my right calf muscle.  It was a sensation I'd felt before...multiple times.  As I was in an anxiety state-of-mind at the time...it took hold...and it's still with me.  It comes and goes.  I would say there is no physical problem with my leg...I can walk fine, etc. but it's an odd feeling I cannot let go of.  I do not have pain...though maybe at times there is a warm sensation.  It literally does feel like a band clamping down around my calf muscle.  I alternate between worrying that it is a symptom of something more sinister and convincing myself that it is psychosomatic. 

Does anyone have any similar stories??

When I felt it back in December...we were walking around the mall doing some Christmas shopping.  It could, very well, have had a real cause at first...but now I wonder if it's my mind creating this "tension"???  it's not constant.  There are times when it's not there.  There are times when it's there...but mild.  There are times when I can really feel it.

Thoughts??
Bookmark and Share
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."
Proverbs 3:5

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
I have a tightness in my left calf near the top area at back of knee.  I think I can trace it to sitting with my legs tensed and holding that leg on my toes pressing into the floor all day. 
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. 
  John 8:32

Offline Evap

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
My legs have been one of my worries for a few weeks. It randomly started one day during the holidays.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fenway77

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »
I have a tightness in my left calf near the top area at back of knee.  I think I can trace it to sitting with my legs tensed and holding that leg on my toes pressing into the floor all day.

I think I do the same.  I sit at a desk all day.  I'm 6' 1" and my chair should probably be a little higher!

The thing is...the sensation was a feeling I've had before.  It's come and gone.  I'm almost 100% positive of that.  It's just that this time I was looking for something to worry about.  I remember when I first felt it back in December.  One of my first thoughts was that I was afraid it would trigger my HA.  It seems to come and go.  2 weeks ago my son was sick...and I spent the weekend caring for him (he's 3)...and it didn't bother me at all.  It's like when my mind is really, truly focused on something else it's not a problem.

Anyway...it helps to know I'm not alone!!
Bookmark and Share
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."
Proverbs 3:5

Tags: