Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ridiculously anxious about smells.  (Read 546 times)

Offline ElbyH88

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Ridiculously anxious about smells.
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:03:50 AM »
Hi Everyone...
I'm really struggling. I have this obsessiveness over smells. I convince myself I can smell gas (the blow your house up kind) all the time, to the point where I am walking around my house sniffing. I am the same with smoke, or any strong smells, or anything different. It is driving me crazy. I mean, I have OCD as well as other anxiety's, so I'm not sure what this falls under...
Last night, keeping in mind that I am EXHAUSTED from not sleeping, I could smell smoke outside. Well, that was it, I was sniffing around the house, I looked everywhere I could smell it SO strong. I was laying in bed and could smell it and made my husband get up and look in the loft (attic). I could not calm myself down. The ceiling started spinning and closing in. I could not sleep. I layed there awake. I maybe got an hours sleep after my husband got up, because I knew then if the house was on fire he would be able to wake me up. I got out of bed so many times to check on the house. I hate this!
Does anyone else experience this??
Lauren xxxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ridiculously anxious about smells.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Sometimes that happens to me.  Mine was triggered as a kid when my father had a brain tumor.  So if I get worked up, there ya go. 

The mind is an amazing thing. It knows what you fear.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline winduptoy

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
Yes if I'm going through a period of intense stress and subsequent anxiety I will freak out at the smallest scent of gas coming out of my stove. I open up all the windows and refuse to be in the kitchen etc. I have an very old stove too mind you so it's completely normal for it to be emitting gas every now and then.

For me it's anxiety playing tricks with my head so I try really hard to focus on something else (usually a different worry!) and it passes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mama00

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
I am so glad someone else gets anxious about smells.   I have  moved to a new house and I am ruining our time here because everything smells to me.  It started right when we moved in.    First it was the pantry - then it was the new carpet - now we had a real issue with paint gone bad that needs the drywall replaced.  That room has smelled like paint for 3 months now and the paint co is replacing drywall for us.  I am not making that one up - everybody can smell that one.   After that I am now on super high alert and I feel like my husbands office also smell.  What if it is the paint there too?   It just started smelling.  It doesn't bother my husband AT ALL.  He says some rooms just smell different and not to worry.  What else - oh the ac smelled musty in our room.   Upstairs gets hot and it smells stuffy and like paper - so weird.   We will be adding attic ventilation and sealing can lights and attic stairs.  But will that help?  Who knows.  I am seriously spiraling down with the overactive sense of smell and the fear that what I smell is going to harm our family :(      I am starting to think these people sold in then winter because they knew the house smelled.  My husband says that is totally the anxiety talking.   :traurig001:   If I could trade my sense of smell I would in a minute.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: