Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling heart beats at the back of my head  (Read 5673 times)

Offline hs001

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Feeling heart beats at the back of my head
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »
Hello,

I've been having anxiety related to my heart health for about 4.5 years now. Last year I've had a bunch of tests done (again) and a cardiologist said that my heart abd blood circulation are fine, all I have is a benign case of premature contractions. This manifests itself in "skipped beats" where my heart will beat normally a few times, then skip a beat and then come back with a strong beat that I can feel as a palpitation in my chest. I am sure many of you here are familiar with these symptoms. But lately I am struggling with a new symptom, which is scarying me and I am doing my best to keep myself from going into another round of tests.

In the last month or so, these palpitations have become more frequent and the worst part is that most of the time I feel them at the back of my head. Sometimes the beats are so strong that I can just picture blood hitting the arteries. In the worst cases it is painful and I can also "see" it through my eyes as I get "vibrations" corresponding to heart beats in my eyes. Sometimes after a strong beat, I get a bunch of sparkles flying around my peripheral vision (the symptom that usually indicates lack of oxygen supply in the brain). All of this usually happens when I am walking, but it did happen a few times when I was doing nothing. I've tried to research this on the internet, but could not really come up with any meaningful explanation except high blood pressure and anxiety symptoms. Well, I've measured my BP many times when having these symptoms and it has been in the normal range.  I am fine with the "skipped beats", cardiologist's explanation is ok, it is the feeling in my head that worries me. I just can't get myself believing that this can be caused by anxiety, cannot understand the mechanics behind it, to me it feels like I have blood vessel spasms or something constricting the blood flow and that one of these days an artery is going to burst and I will have a stroke.

I need to figure out how to deal with this, is having a stress test, echo, holter, event monitor and blood work about 8-12 months ago enough reassurance or do I need to check this new symptom out? I hate going to the doctors because I feel like I am wasting their time and causing delays for real patients, but at the same time I need to somehow get myself back together, this new symptom is not letting me excercise or even go for long walks which I enjoy so much, and which helped me a lot with my anxiety these last few years.

Thanks 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling heart beats at the back of my head
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »
it sounds to me like you are just feeling your pulse.  I don't think it sounds serious.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Czad

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
I'm a heart worrier too. God it seems like every time I lie down to sleep I start feeling my own heart beat and it freaks me out. Thinking about it and focusing on it only makes it stronger and more obvious too. I've felt it in my chest, my neck, my head, even my stomach. Sometimes it even seems like my heart is racing and beating really fast, but then I check my pulse and it's entirely normal. I don't get it. This all happens at night when I go to bed. I don't really worry or notice it during the day. I just assume it's because I'm left alone with my thoughts, and the silence makes it easier to "tune in" to my own heart rhythm. I just try my best to think about something else...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blah7886

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »
I wish I could list all of the sensations I feel related to my heart, but there are too many! haha. I feel all sorts of weird stuff...I've even felt the heartbeat in the back of my head before, although it's never been painful, just rather annoying. I have a serious heart fear that I am SLOWLY getting over...I mean, just because we fear we have something doesn't mean that we actually have it! If we didn't have a heart fear, we would probably never feel any of this weird stuff we feel. Just to list a couple of things...I can feel my heartbeat in my abdomen, in the tips of my fingers and sometimes my arm, my throat, and many other places...we are just so aware of our heartbeat because we worry so much that we have a problem. I think what you have is major heart-related anxiety!
Bookmark and Share
"I feel numb, I can't come to life...I feel like I'm frozen in time"

Offline scared_silly

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:11:29 PM »
I have a rather severe heart fear too. Honestly, if I didn't worry about my heart I probably wouldn't have my HA. I too feel my heart beat in my abdomen, my head, all kinds of awkward places. I don't think it sounds like anything serious honey. Most likely just your anxiety. Especially considering your doctor gave you a clean bill of health.smile and be thankful you are healthy. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline grateful

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:18:38 PM »
Since my anxiety kicked in I have had plenty of times where I seem to hear and feel my heart all throughout my body almost like it echoes too... I believe this is because we are soooo aware of our body's and the sensations that come along with anxiety. This will pass just do some deep belly breathing when this comes on. As for the stars. I do this occasionally too (even before anxiety) usually when I lift my head to quickly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Thirsty075

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
I worry about my heart and bp a lot.  I've felt my pulse in many different places.  I think I've found though that the only time I feel my pulse is when I'm having anxious thoughts in general.  When I feel some twinge and my brain pushes me down the slide of other symptoms that I am now convinced I conjure up for myself.  My chest will get tight, intense fear, anxiety and the idea that where I am is just not safe enough and that I need to leave and go somewhere else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hs001

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. I guess I've felt my anxiety manifest itself in so many ways so far that I should not be surprised at this new type of a symptom. One thing is for sure, it does happen mostly when I am stressed or anxious, I don't usually feel this or any other symptoms when I am relaxed. I'll just try to keep this out of my mind as much as possible. Once again, thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jaybird

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:22 AM »
Hi,

I really get your comment "understanding the mechanics behind it". I think that trying to get to the bottom of all this is what causes us so much anguish. I don't know that we ever really will know what's causing our body to do what it's doing. Anxiety causes such odd symptoms and they can seem so serious. I know that if I focus on them it will just bring me down into a neverending spiral  where I will not get answers ever. I replay doctor's comments and start to get fearful and I realize I have to stop myself from even going there. It's really hard, but I feel that if I follow the paths of my thoughts I'll be miserable. Think of the reassurances your doctor gave you, and try to keep up with your walks and exercise.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: