Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Strange numb feeling in my eye  (Read 17626 times)

Offline SkittishSari

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Strange numb feeling in my eye
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »
I have this weird numb (for lack of a better word) in my left eye. I really can't describe it better but it's very disconcerting. I'm really, really terrified I have a brain tumor right now, and all of my anxieties have stemmed from these strange sensations in my left eye. I keep thinking that my vision is blurred or that my peripheral vision has diminished in that eye, but it hasn't. But for some reason I feel like my vision is just off in that eye. I also have a ton of floaters in that eye right now, so much so that they are actually distracting me regularly, but my doc said that is normal, and that my illness is not a tumor but anxiety.

Could this be caused by eye strain by all my self tests? Could it be the fact that I clench my jaw horribly on that side? I can feel that my muscles all around my eye are sore. I have an opthamologist appt. on Monday, which I am totally nervous about, but at the same time I just want to get it over with. I am really, really scared I have some sort of cancer, and google hasn't helped that fear much. :(

Has this happened to anyone? I know I keep posting on visual disturbances, but this is making me crazy right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Northeast14

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Strange numb feeling in my eye
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »
Skittish, I spend a lot of time monitering my vision...thinking that I am losing sight in one eye etc. even though i definitely am not, thinking that one eye seems more blurred even though it is not.  All the self tests you are doing (and I know because I do them too) will absolutely cause your eyes strain.  When I am really anxious and concentrating on my vision or floaters I always get eye aches...like a headache only around my eyes.  Floaters are common.  Your symptoms do not sound like that of a brain tumor, symptoms associated with that are much more severe.  The more you think about your vision the worse it gets.  Glad your are going to the optomologist...it will put your mind at ease.  It definately helped me.  In the meantime stay away from google!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 204
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »
Last year when I was erroneously, yet again  ::), convinced I had MS, I was fixating on my eyes.  I had all kinds of eye issues as a result.  As soon as I let that all go, the eye symptoms went away.  Now my vision is still sucky cuz I'm old now.   :laugh3:, but that is age there.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline SkittishSari

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:02:01 AM »
Thanks you guys. I feel a little better this morning after some sleep, and I could feel when I would up that my left eye is definitely strained. Now I just have to make that my mantra until I can get to the doc on Monday.

This forum really helps me so much! Thanks again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline oolongfoo

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:44:15 PM »
I have the exact same thing. What were you diagnosed with? I am going to the doc today.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: