Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: In need of a new hobby or interest  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Mellie26

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
In need of a new hobby or interest
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am in need of some ideas of hobbies and interests that could keep my mind from worrying about my anxiety. I'm currently battling my eating disorder and social anxiety disorder demons at the same time and thought it would be a great idea to get a new hobby. I realized today that, aside from running, i have no hobbies. Any ideas anyone? What kind of low cost activities have you taken up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline lsmazdaspeed3

• Poke This Member
Re: In need of a new hobby or interest
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
Reading!!!  Find some books you may be interested in and dive into them.  When I can really get into a good book, my mind escapes everything else previously occupying it.  Other than that, depending on where you live, there is biking, hiking, or just a pleasant walk through a park or something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cooler

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:45:48 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am in need of some ideas of hobbies and interests that could keep my mind from worrying about my anxiety. I'm currently battling my eating disorder and social anxiety disorder demons at the same time and thought it would be a great idea to get a new hobby. I realized today that, aside from running, i have no hobbies. Any ideas anyone? What kind of low cost activities have you taken up?

Mellie,

I have found that a way of calming anxiety is to have a gentle hobby, something like making things or collecting. It's good if it's repetitive and you have something to show for it in the end. I like collecting old books, and I enjoy putting plastic sleeves on the dustjackets. Simple as that. Also arranging the books on the shelves and dusting them is a quiet pleasure. My Mum used to do a lot of knitting, and I can see why now. Another quiet pleasure

I think the key is to keep the mind active, so that we don't kick into anxiety loops. When going for a walk it is nice to look out for wildlife, maybe make a note of where we see birds and little animals. A diary is always a good thing and we can keep a note of how we are doing with the illness.

Also, having a pet is nice. I have a hamster called 'hammy' and he comes out of his nest when I call him. It takes a little time to clean his cage and stuff, but it's easy and doesn't cost much.

Yes, there are lots of things we can do to ease down our anxiety, and sometimes we can even forget that we have such a nasty illness.  :happy0151:

Good luck and good thoughts,

C.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Chunky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »
I think the nature walks is a good idea; another thing you could do while you're walking to keep your mind occupied is photography.  You dont need an expensive camera; you can take some really nice pictures even w/ the cameras that come on cell phones these days. 

I had an eating disorder/exercise disorder when I started seriously looking for treatment for my mental issues and something I found really helpful was playing soccer.  Before I started soccer I was over-exercising, mainly running, bodybuilding and Jazzercise (I still think running is great although I'm not in shape for it at the moment  :laugh3:).  Switching to an activity that wasnt so focused on changing my appearance was really good for me.  I was 30 at the time and hadn't played since I was 12 but I play in a casual league, so no one really cared. 

I got into aquarium fish (and plants) for a couple of years too.  I ended up w/ too many tanks to take care of, but watching fish is very relaxing! lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mellie26

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »

I also have an eating disorder and have gained control over my exercising. I love to run and would love to take on a sport such as soccer....but my social anxiety prevents me from doing it. I'm afraid of looking stupid because i dont know how to play or being on a team where im the worst player and i'm holding them back.

I'm definitely liking the photography and knitting ideas im hearing! Thanks guys! This is all great stuff!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousGuy86

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
i go on nature walks and take photos.its really calming and it takes you away from all the daily stresses of life.finding hobbies and intrests are very important ,and can be a very healthy way of working through issues or stress you may have.

As far as S.A is concerned ,the most effective treatment for it is CBT.the thing about social anxiety is that we avoid the situations that give us anxiety,or we will use certain safety behaviours that reduce the anxiety in the short term,but in the long run it just fuels the anxiety and over time will make it worse.

CBT is really something that you do on your own.it takes alot of time,courage and diligence on your part,but speaking by experience it works and will help you overcome your social anxiety so that you can enjoy life again.

you should look into it and if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Take Care :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"Yesterday day is history,tomorrow is a mystery,and today is a gift,that's why its called the present"

Tags: