Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: benadryl to sleep  (Read 7722 times)

Offline sweetblubrry

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
benadryl to sleep
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »
I am wondering if it is okay to take benadryl to sleep? The past 2 weeks have been really bad because of a guy I was dating stopped talking to me and I've been unable to sleep until like 6am and have to get up for school and overall have been very agitated and sad. I'm better now but I was taking benadryl almost 5 days in a row just to get over things. It makes me relax and helps me sleep at night and be less anxious (the situation made me anxious). I took one last night because I had a long day today and needed to get some rest. I LOVE benadryl... it makes me sleep well and I wake up feeling refreshed and not groggy like most say. The same thing is also used in "simply sleep" but for some reason that doesn't work as well as benadryl even though it is the exact same thing. I'm just taking the one wiht the Diphen...whatever. No added pain relievers or anything. I have asked a doctor and she said its one of hte safest drugs and they give it to babies to help them sleep. But also in talking to a pharmacist, they are like NO! You need to stop taking it and get to the root of your sleep problems!! So i get mixed reviews.

I would take it everyday if I knew it was safe, but I don't. It helps me relax a lot. I'd rather take this than anti-anxiety pills or prescription sleeps aids or a benzo......
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (29 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes.

Offline Chunky

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: benadryl to sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:08:55 AM »
My dr said it was fine to take this every day (i take simply sleep).  It worked great for me tho until just recently, I've found I develop a tolerance to it after just a few nights.  So if its working for you now, and you want it to keep working, I'd just use it on the nights you really think you'll need help getting good sleep!  Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bama21

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
Diphenhydramine.

I'd listen to your doctor on this one.  I used the Simply Sleep and it worked fairly well for me.  It's quite safe, from what I understand.  I think the problem comes in when people take the Tylenol or Advil PM which contains dyphenhydramine for sleep, but also pain medication.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tmicrowave

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
i used to take it for sleep every night
and its true that you build up a tolerance
and it may be good to take it only when you really need it most
but
its not habit forming
and its just a uhh... antihistamine
they have me an antihistamine for anxiety once
because of it's not being habit forming

so I SAY its okay
Bookmark and Share
Jenna

"When the heart weeps for what it has lost, the soul laughs for what it has found." - Sufi aphorism

Tags: