Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Why does anxiety make you feel lightheaded and weak?!?!  (Read 79153 times)

Offline loveautumn021

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Why does anxiety make you feel lightheaded and weak?!?!
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
Ok I feel like if I could just stop the weakness and light headed feeling that my anxiety would be under control. That seems to be the only thing that is triggering mine and I just don't know why and how to make it stop. I get so scared like I can barely hold me head up and like when I am walking I feel like I am going to fall over any moment. I just feel so weak but when I squeeze my husbands hand he says it feels strong and if I was really weak then I would not even be able to do that right? What I am wondering is how can anxiety make you feel so light headed and weak? I mean it just has me thinking as much as I feel this that something else has to be wrong....I mean this has been almost an everyday feeling for about 5 months now :(
Bookmark and Share
Autumn

Offline 1Peter5:7

• Poke This Member
Re: Why does anxiety make you feel lightheaded and weak?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »
I'm glad you posted that. Thank you. I had anxiety for years, but never experienced any weakness until about a week ago. I told my wife the same thing, I felt the weakness was triggering an anxiety attack. I even went to the ER and my medical doctor about it, and of course, everything is fine.

To answer your question, it is just fear. Fear is causing that. Just remember, fear cannot hurt/case any harm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Crush

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:47:06 PM »
Ok I feel like if I could just stop the weakness and light headed feeling that my anxiety would be under control. That seems to be the only thing that is triggering mine and I just don't know why and how to make it stop. .I mean this has been almost an everyday feeling for about 5 months now :(

Wow you sound exactly like me lol..

I was like 'if just these symptoms would go away then I would be better'.

And I know all about being weak. Try to clench your fist right now and see if you can do it. If you can't, you're weak. I was so weak when at the ER that my wife offered to get me a wheelchair when I needed to get up and walk.

The light headedness is something that will go away when you aren't anxious. That will take time of course. I remember the first time now being light headed. It was after a couple of drinks (yeah go figure). And I said.. wow.. this is the first time in months I feel sober and in the moment.

Have you accepted that you have anxiety? Or do you still feel your symptoms might be something else?
Bookmark and Share

Offline loveautumn021

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
Thanks for answering that made me feel better:) Actually I have not accepted my anxiety I just feel so bad sometimes I am like this HAS to be something more than this. I mean in my mind I know I have anxiety but I just feel so many physical symptoms that I am just worried they are over looking something medical. I refuse to google anymore because i know that will send me in full panic mode. So I ask on here and if others who have anxiety are feeling this way then that must be all it is. But I still (like you said) need to full accept!
Bookmark and Share
Autumn

Offline Crush

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »
Thanks for answering that made me feel better:) Actually I have not accepted my anxiety I just feel so bad sometimes I am like this HAS to be something more than this.

Heheh yeah I think part of that isn't your fault. The information is so scattered and long time anxiety sufferers don't exactly help the situation when they have +500 posts and almost try to scare people that what they have could be worse. Hmm.. maybe that's why they've had anxiety for so long?

It's also not your fault that you fully don't trust the Dr's and medical system. Can't blame you there either. You live with this all day, they spend 10 min with you and they don't suffer from it themselves.

Having anxiety will create doznes of simutatnious symptoms. The big ones being light headedness, aches and pains, and OCD (your mind state changing). Then there's the smaller problems like vision problems, muscle twitches, etc. Those seem to linger around longer.

The road to recovery was hard. Just not long ago when things were going well, something would pop up. Gee maybe I have diabetes. Turned out to be light headedness returning around the holiday season due to my first Christmas after anxiety. Then muscle twiches. Oh no I think I have Lime Disease or an infection that is causing electrolyte imbalances. Actually what was happening is that my body was sending adrenelen to my musles and they would twitch as a response when not being used. As soon as I learnt that, The twiches went away almost immediatly. The hard part was finding the right information.

Right now I'm sober, clear minded, feel great. Going out to restaurants. Getting into new hobbies. Not afraid to see friends anymore. This is ontop of my being enemployed with my EI running out in a month or two. So I do have a lot to worry about. I'm posting restaurant reviews online. We got an iPhone to play with. Some new toys. A new dog. I'm brewing my own beer. We got a new Kureig coffee machine so I'm back drinking coffee again. I'm even losign weight and eating better too (and for once it's not anxiety induced dieting which is BAD!) hehe..

I have my zest for life back. I didn't think I would make it here but I finally did. But this only happened when I truly accepted that my symptoms where from anxiety. :) Now when I feel something the odd time, I dont even care or let it bother me. That I think is the key to getting better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emma09

• Rec's: 4
  • What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger (:
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
it has really made me feel weak and light headed n the past two days urgh. you started any meds yet???
Bookmark and Share
fill your head with niceness and leave the rest :)

Offline twelve

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »
crush, i just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post about your success in recovering. i also suffer from a slight dizzy/lightheaded feeling almost constantly that improves only when i'm really happy and distracted or have had a couple of drinks  ::) i've gotten to the point now that i believe this is anxiety, but i think a lot of what makes me tense is still very much a part of my situation and therefore i've been making little progress. anyway, it's always appreciated when people come back to give others hope and encouragement. may i ask the nature of your lightheadedness? did you ever feel slightly unsteady when walking? thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blah7886

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »
Autumn, I was just thinking about you! I was just doing some light house work and when I was putting in a load of laundry, out of the blue I got extremely light-headed and I had to sit down for a minute! This happens quite a bit, but I know you've been having problems with it being light-headed lately so I figured I'd let you know you're not alone, sweetie! I hope you get feeling better.
Bookmark and Share
"I feel numb, I can't come to life...I feel like I'm frozen in time"

Offline mplus

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
Crush,

Good post. This, to me, is a thorny question: "Have you accepted that you have anxiety? Or do you still feel your symptoms might be something else?"

Last year, I came down with HA following a genuine medical scare (which turned out to be nothing). Right after that, I thought I had everything from MS to a brain tumor to Leukemia. That was due to a range of symptoms like a foggy-headed feeling, muscle twitches, brain zaps, lack of appetite, etc. That all started in April.

However, by mid-October, following a round of tests like MRIs and CT scans, and numerous work-ups by a neurologist and my doctor, I was given the all clear. I accepted it was anxiety and by mid-November, I was back to my old self. All the symptoms were gone. I was back to exercising, living my life, and when an old symptom showed up, like a foggy head or muscle twitch, I'd dismiss and go about my business. I mean, an MRI and a CT scan showed I had a healthy brain, right? It had to be anxiety.

By mid-December, however, I started experiencing heart palpitations -- a new sensation, one that I'd never felt. And now, I'm strapped to a Holter Monitor, and fearing that I have something terrible (heart disease, impending heart failure, or something equally bad). I have a left-arm ache , a chest ache and shortness of breath. The fear is palpable, the thoughts nearly suffocating. 

I have no idea if this is anxiety or something real. Have I accepted that I have, during the past, been someone with HA? Absolutely. I laugh at some of the fears I had back then. Am I susceptible to HA? Absolutely. Did I never actually conquer and get past last year's trauma? Entirely possible. Is this anxiety? Could be.

But, how exactly can you tell when you feel something you've never felt before? The either/or is incredibly difficult to negotiate.

-- m.
Bookmark and Share

Offline loveautumn021

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »
Crush, that is awesome and I will use the tips that you gave me and I might can over come this thing...lol! Yes I do get lightheaded and unsteady when I walk and it gets so bad at times I am even scared to get up and walk so I just have to sit down and then I just get even more scared. I think with the right thinking we all can be on the road to recovery! It just takes some time!
Bookmark and Share
Autumn

Offline Crush

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »
may i ask the nature of your lightheadedness? did you ever feel slightly unsteady when walking? thanks!

If you are stressed in general over a situation (mine is unemployment) and other things beyond your control you will get anxiety becuase you are genetically prone to getting it. Remember that we are special. Average people handle worry without anxiety symptoms. This is why we have medication. I think the mistake is that Dr's over perscribe or jump right to the heavy stuff. I am taking the most mild SSRI med and dosage possible. It still allows me to get a bit riled up, keep my personality, and not med me out. I only take 5mg. I cut my pills in quarters. Half a pill was too strong and I reacted too much to them. This took away my general worrying about life problems.

About the lightheadedness, yes it's actually being off balance. I just call it light headedness. It means that that I feel a bit stoned and off balance. You know you are light headed when you are bumping into walls all the time! Heheh.. I would always be bumping my shoulders and elbows into the walls becuase I couldn't walk straight. In the shower when trying to wash yourself you'll be bumping you elbows into things and such.

Light headedness is actually no big deal. Here's an explanation of what is happening:

Keeping a sense of balance requires the brain to process a variety of information from the eyes, the nervous system and the inner ears. However, if the brain can't process signals from all of these locations, if the messages are contradictory, or if the sensory systems aren't functioning properly, an individual may experience dizziness and loss of balance.

All that's happening with us anxiety sufferers are the systems are not functioning properly. When we are suffering anxiety, much of our body is not functioning properly. We can't digest food properly. We can't breath properly. Our musles are weak. We can't think rationally.

We have a sensory system that has to be working nice and clean to have balance. When just 1 of these things in the mix don't work properly, we will feel off balance. And that's why we get off balance. It's not something you can conciously fix through diets or vitamins. You just have to get out of being in a state of anxiety and it will go away. 40% of Americans will see a doctor over being dizzy or off balance in their life and it is rarely ever something serious.

But we have all been diagnosed so we know what our light headedness is from. Please don't google further into it :). I just told you why we're light headed. No it's not an active ear infection that your doctor is going to fix. \

Your sensory system isn't functioning properly (like the rest of your body) and that is causing you to be light headed which is perfectly harmless or normal for many people who have anxiety. Consider it a normal symptom of anxiety.

The only thing with being light headed is it's one for the most 'scary' things. And it's one of the things and hardest to get a straight answer as to why it's happening.

Well there ya have it. I just told you why.

-Anxiety creates lots of problems with our eyes. (tremors, tunnel vision, blurriness, depth perception.. heck some of which I still even have till today)

-Anxiety creates lots of problems with our nervous system (of course!).

-Anxiety creates lots of problems with our ears (rining, sensory, etc).

So OF COURSE you are going to get a feeling off balance when these aren't working at 100%. :)

Don't you see. There is nothing bad happening to you guys. It's safe. It's harmless. It's nothing at all. It's just the anxiety creating your systems to go wonkey and giving you a result that is indeed powerful and scary. But it's just temporary and nothing to be afraid of.

Start to think of the light headedness differently. Trust me. You balance system just isn't sync'ing up. That's all that is happening and it's temporary.

Tommorow is a new day and it's time to get better. It's time to stop the googling, worrying, and finally leave the anxiety behind you! It's time to start that path on getting better and to finally truly believe that you have anxiety and that is what is responsible for your symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Crush

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »
By mid-December, however, I started experiencing heart palpitations -- a new sensation, one that I'd never felt. And now, I'm strapped to a Holter Monitor,

-- m.

No no no! Heheh don't monitor youself! hehehe..

All that's happening to you is what happened to me. We share the same timelines actually.

You got mid December Christmas anticipation anxiety. I got a small bout around that time also. The anxiety will ALWAYS come back to get you. When I got it, it was really unexpected. I was shopping for a Christmas gifts in a book store and along comes the light headedness. It had been so long that happened. But I got myself together, knew it was the holidays causing this. And kept on shopping and ignoring it. I was so upset to have it return out of the blue, but anxiety will always come back to test you. It's never a clean come off. It a slow 'some days are better than others' sort of withdrawl away from anxiety.

When you got your mid December anxiety though, you fell back into the trap and now you are stuck. The anxiety will always change faces when it returns and throw something new at you.

My palpiations where INSANE. My chest pains were CONSTANT for weeks straight. I would sit in bed and have the chest pains before bed, in middle of night. In the day. Wow. And the left arm? Ha.. I can go on for 10 pages just on left arm issues alone. (and ribs, and armpit, and lats).

I recommend to TAKE OFF THAT MONITOR! Throw it away! hehehe  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline loveautumn021

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »
It is so scary that we have to feel like this! Well what happened is last night I could not sleep at all...I kept waking up scared with pains and feeling this same feeling in my head...ugh is it ever going to stop?!
Bookmark and Share
Autumn

Offline sandorclegane

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
I have dealt with this on and off for the past few years, the feeling of being lightheaded, unstable, and weak will come and it will be my constant companion for a while, I'll usually be able to get over it by telling myself it's just anxiety, then I'll feel normal for a brief period of time, and then a new symptom will arise, it's like a never ending cycle.  I remember being out on my birthday last year and not being able to enjoy it at all because I was so lightheaded, I was sure there was something wrong with my brain.  Anxiety definitely can and will cause these types of sensations, it's amazing the type of sensations anxiety can cause and when I feel them personally it's really hard to accept the fact that it is in fact anxiety causing it and not some sort of concrete physical malady. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline loveautumn021

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:37 AM »
I know Sander, that is how I feel. I feel like anxiety could not possibly make you feel this bad and it has to be something more working along with anxiety like I can't understand how. I feel like something is wrong with my brain too and it is horrible. Like, I just wish this could all be over! Are you in therapy? I have therapy tomorrow and I really hope the Dr. eases my mind on some of the worries that I have! thanks!
Bookmark and Share
Autumn

Tags: Crush