Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anyone have physical symptoms without mentally feeling anxious?  (Read 7293 times)

Offline itsjustme

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
anyone have physical symptoms without mentally feeling anxious?
« on: December 12, 2006, 04:50:24 PM »
I've made several posts talking about how I'm worried that my hands seem to be trembling much of the time. Thing is....they tremble sometimes when I'm not even feeling mentally anxious and have no upcoming thing to be worried about or anything like that. So just wondering if anyone else has the physical symptoms pretty much everyday without always feeling mentally anxious.

Of course, even though I am not mentally feeling anxious, I am ALWAYS thinking about anxiety...it's just like that word "anxiety" is always in my head somewhere....so that could be what keeps the shakiness around. Who knows....all I know is I'm tired of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline angree

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: anyone have physical symptoms without mentally feeling anxious?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:10:16 PM »
I know what you mean...I actually didn't think I felt anxious, AT FIRST...but my body was telling me otherwise...I would notice that when I was working, sitting at my desk...my toes would be tapping...knees going up and down...etc....But then, when other physical symptoms started to appear, and I'd pay attention...I guess I was actually stressed without knowing it.  Then the physical symptoms became aggravated...and now I'm just plain anxious about being anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kate1982

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »
I've had physical symptoms of anxiety without always being aware of the mental aspect of it.
Bookmark and Share
My psychology thesis is stressing me out more than my anxiety disorder.

"Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die." -Douglas Macarthur

Offline itsjustme

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »
And to me, it seems like these symptoms are harder to get rid of than mentally feeling anxious. When I feel mentally crappy, I can tell myself it's just anxiety and talk myself out of it and change my way of thinking.

When I have physicaly symptoms like this stupid shaking and twitching that I'm going through, I just can't seem to get rid of it. It's hard to talk myself into feeling better when I think I already feel okay and I don't know what the anxiety is coming from. It's also hard to quit worrying that these symptoms are something other than anxiety, which makes it worse I'm sure.

Ugh...I don't mind the twitching as much as my hands shaking. It's embarrassing.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline krausko2

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:40:21 PM »
I am the same way...I have muscle tension in my legs most of the time and have those little twitches, both of which I can deal with.  But then I get that blah sick feeling and hot or cold flashes and I feel awful.  Typically my mental anxiety doesn't kick in unless my symptoms make me feel physically sick for awhile.  Although I have noticed that I too have little things that should tip me off that I am "unknowingly" anxious...constant shifting in my chair, constantly bouncing my legs under my desk at work.  I have been on my first med, Lexapro, for a week and some days, so I am hoping that will clear some of this up for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyAmy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:45:39 AM »
I've absolutely experienced this - and I've also experienced mental symptoms with no (super obvious) physical symptoms...isn't anxiety great?! And when my PA's started I didn't even realize I was anxious about anything, I thought the physical symptoms were coming out of no where due to a medical condition - and to be honest, that's still how it hits.

Bookmark and Share

Offline NightOwl

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 02:53:39 AM »
I am in the same boat right now.  I am having so much anxiety and can't be sure why.  It started when I started tlaking to a certain girl again, so I have to assume it's related tot hat.  :(  You are probably worrying about something you don't realize or something.
Bookmark and Share
I heard a little girl
And what she said was something beautiful
To give your love no matter what
Is what she said
My Friends - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Offline GMan86

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »
I can totally relate. I told my therapist that I have physical symptoms of anxiety, such as sweating and weak stomach, when I am not mentally anxious at all. I guess our anxiety is unconcious and is embedded so deep in our brain that it just triggers without actually having to be concious of it.
Bookmark and Share
"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward." -Helen Keller

Offline Gaining Strength

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »
I guess our anxiety is unconcious and is embedded so deep in our brain that it just triggers without actually having to be concious of it.

This describes me and I have just the opposite effects - mental effects with low level physical effects.  I hate the feelings.  But when I keep in mind that I am healing it really helps.  When I feel the anxiety coming on I am learning to not fear the anxiety.  I am learning that there is a very subtle cycle of anxiety triggering "fear" of the anxiety symptoms and that fear makes it worse.  So I just sort of "give in" to the symptoms and they are not as bad and not as long as usual.  I just keep reminding myself that I am getting better and that it won't last.

Thanks for listening. - Gaining Strength
Bookmark and Share

Tags: