Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Stuffy nose for months?  (Read 16236 times)

Offline Schultz

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Stuffy nose for months?
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »
Quick question because I want to keep from Googling:

I've had a stuffy nose for a couple of months now. I live in a really cold climate and it's winter, so - there's that. Yet colds aren't supposed to last that long and it's often more in one nostril than the other. In the past few days I developed a nasty cough that's producing phlegm. No fever, though, and the cough isn't constant, just a few times a day, which I think means that mucus is dripping down my throat. I'm really worried about nasal cancer and so here's my question: is it common, in your experience, to go a whole winter with the same stuffy nose? I'm talking especially to those in climates where winter means that every day is below freezing. Thank you for your help. I know it's a trivial question, but Googling it will just invite the beast in.
Bookmark and Share
In so far as the mind is stronger than the body, so are the ills contracted by the mind more severe than those contracted by the body.
- Cicero

Offline emma09

• Rec's: 4
  • What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger (:
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stuffy nose for months?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:37:05 AM »
I had a stuffy nose for three months my left more then right! I have post nasal drip too where it runs to the back of your throat! Get some salt water salaine use it day and night. It will clear your nose not straight away though
Bookmark and Share
fill your head with niceness and leave the rest :)

Offline forestbythesealady

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:14:01 AM »
I've had sinus problems for years, it doesn't matter what season. I also get the drip in the back of my throat and produce gunk a few times a day. Sometimes less. Sometimes more. It depends on the day...and if my cats lay on my face when I'm sleeping! Also, in the cold weather you are probably in a heated home or workplace all day. This can cause problems with your sinuses as well. Try the saline rinse, or shower steam. I got a nifty little personal steamer that I use daily. I think emma got one as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline amsa

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:14:23 AM »
Hi, I've had a stuffy nose, sinus, post nasal drip for months regardless of the season. What helped me alot is:
1. cut all dairy (I have found that my sinus problems are directly related to dairy) atleast untill the symptoms subside
2. get a humidifyer (have it on at night when you sleep)
3. steam (I put thyme, chamomile, sage and mint in a bowl, pour hot water over it, cover my head with a towel and breath in the steam for about 10 min. I do that a couple of times a day and it does wonders for me.
Hope that helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:18:08 AM »
I'm always stuff on some level. I believe mine is more do to inflammation then actual snot.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Jorden_M

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:50:30 AM »
well aren't we an attractive bunch...haha. but in all seriousness, i have had stuffyness for a couple months now too. it'll clear up one day then be back the next...its an obnoxious thing really... haven't figurd out (till reading this post) how to clear it up. bt honeslty its nothing to worry about. your sinus's are just acting up.
Bookmark and Share
~To have what you have never had, you must do what you have never done...Let go of the fear~

Offline Noahs Mom

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
Every winter I feel like my brain is going to explode from the pressure in my sinuses...  Dry climate, could have swollen sinuses (that's my issue - not really a runny nose)...  the BEST thing that my doctor ever told me to do was to get a Netti Pot.  It takes a few times to get used to it, and I definitely had to build up the courage to use it the first time, but it is sooooo worth it.  Especially if you have airborne allergies.
Bookmark and Share
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
I live in Central Wisconsin, so I'm with ya on the weather. I find that sometimes the dryness leads to a sense of stuffyness as well.
Gotta love living up north!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: