Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

Smothering sensation

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
Smothering sensation
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »
I've been having a weird smothering sensation creep up on me and then last a few seconds, then go away. It happened once today so far and maybe 10 times yesterday. It also happened a couple of days back but I think I was hyperventilating then. I have been on edge this week, started a new job last Wednesday, had to leave a job I'd been with for almost 6 years but which wasn't going anywhere. Also had a blow out with a family member over money they owe me and now they are ignoring me. My sister's been pulling her usual crap, too.

All of a sudden out of nowhere I just feel this sensation creep up on me and it's just like I'm smothering or someone's sucking the air out of my lungs or squeezing my neck or something. I have reflux pretty bad but I don't know if that's the problem.

I have had heart tests like crazy and last month had a stress test and the cardio doc said he thinks it's all from anxiety and that I will "live a long time." I am always running to the docs for EKG's or the hospital and I'm broke with no insurance. I am now sitting here wondering what is this now?

Is it panic? I'm finding it hard to convince myself of that, even though all these sensations are those of panic (which I've had since I was about 16, anyway and I'm now 36.) I should know better, but I don't.

Have you ever had weird creeping smothering sensations that start small and reach a peak then die down all in about 30 or 40 seconds? Yesterday I had chest pain too but today I don't. (I get chest pain almost every day for the past 15 yrs anyway and after a million tests they don't know why -- just say anxiety, take xanax.) I took a .25 xanax but it hasn't helped any yet. Maybe I need a .5 but they make me so sleepy at that dose I just yawn all day.
Bookmark and Share

"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline tigerpaw

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
Re: Smothering sensation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »
Well, i do get the "I can't catch my breath" feeling sometimes and that's pretty annoying. At first it scared me .  Also as i have grown older some new symptoms creep in, but I just handle them better I guess.
Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Offline Jorden_M

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
actually....yeah i do get that "smothering" feeling.....But i have GERD and possibly an ulcer on top of my anxiety...do u have any other symptoms? the smothering feeling isnt from my anxiety though...But i dont know sweetheart... it very well could just be your anxiety....If your really worried about it have them run a few CT scans, do blood work and maybe an untrasound too. I guarantee u if theres anything there they'll find it. If not...its just ur anxety.
Bookmark and Share
~To have what you have never had, you must do what you have never done...Let go of the fear~

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »
I wouldn't know what to ask them to scan.

I've had so many chest X rays, last one in Oct. Stress test and EKG's in Oct. Blood tests in Oct - twice. All normal.

I do have GERD and I'm on Prevacid, but I don't get smothery feelings from that. I've had GERD for a few years now and I may wheeze when acid gets in my lungs and chest pain but I don't usually get smothery.

My cardiologist said he thinks all my symptoms are anxiety and hyperventilation syndrome. That's what it feels like, that smothering feeling when you're having a panic attack or when you hyperventilate. So it may be that but I'm panicking about it so I am not being rational. It's terrifying to have it just come out of nowhere.

I will get it when I'm doing nothing.

I just ran up and down the stairs like 5 times and got my heart rate up and was panting and out of breath but didn't feel smothered. It wasn't the same feeling as just being normally out of breath. It's like what you feel when you have a panic attack and when you hyperventilate -- like you are already filled with air and can't breathe in any more and because you can't breathe in more you feel like you're smothering. It's so weird. It just creeps on me and fades away in like 10 or 20 seconds.

I did the treadmill stress test last month and they pushed me really hard til my legs were weak and my lungs were burning but the cardiologist looked at it and said it was "comforting" and normal. I didn't feel smothered at all from that test.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline joyce49

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
 :action-smiley-065: Calamy,

That is one of my physical symptom and its caused by anxiety. Had a lot of stress lately so it came back. I have times when I'm ok but I'm on meds. I was really fine for awhile too and stopped (very gradually) my meds but unfortunately the smothering sensation was so bad I couldnt handle it. I felt out of breath, like I was going to really suffocate. Its horrible!  :sad0123:

I had to upper my AD in the last few days because I started to really feel the smothering coming back on saturday and it was like that all day. Not quite gone yet but I can tolerate it. Its ups and downs with it but for me, when I get it, it wont go away until I take medications.

And I had all the tests done for my lungs. I asked my doctor a few months ago to check my lungs as I tought I might have asthma (we always try to find the rational explanation). Nope he said. No asthma. Ok, I feel better...till next time  :spineyes:

Anyway, just know you are not the only one. And I'm glad I know I'm not the only one too. When it started 7 years ago, I ahve never heared of someone having what I had.I was convinced I had a deadly disease and was going to die. I'm still here today  :bouncy:

Hang in there, I know its tough but just know its your anxiety doing that. And do whatever it is you need to do to feel better (meds, seeing a therapist, both or relaxation). It wont go away but will help you tremendously.

Hope you get better soon
 :sign0111:
Joyce
Bookmark and Share

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:25:15 AM »
i just had the very same issue this morning...i have had it mild in the past but this one was rough... gonna send me to the doctors for medicine... i know it is anxiety but hard to deal with none the less... just another symptom of anxiety proving again i am losing the battle on my own... time to fight back with meds and therapy... i am sick of this life style... well good luck and hope you  feel better knowing it is anxiety and you are far from alone...by the way i too suffer from heart fear... no coincidence i am sure.... best of luck...
Bookmark and Share

Offline emma09

• What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger (:
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »
 :Pi just posted about this on another board, its really scary and does my nut in, mine has to do with my sinus's though its like my upper part of my body is blocked grrrrrr!!! annoying or what??? hang in there though we will b ok  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
fill your head with niceness and leave the rest :)

Offline AnxiousGuy86

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »
most of the time  this is caused my breathing from the chest,which anxiety does,insted of breathing the natural way,which is through your diaphragm.learning breathing techniques and using them everyday should improve this.but if it becomes worse or you become too worried about it,see your doctor to rule out other possible causes.

Good luck :action-smiley-065:

AG
Bookmark and Share
"Yesterday day is history,tomorrow is a mystery,and today is a gift,that's why its called the present"