Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: how can I wean from Buspar safely?  (Read 6691 times)

Offline sweetblubrry

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
how can I wean from Buspar safely?
« on: November 25, 2009, 04:09:46 AM »
I am not even sure you even need to wean or if a couple of days going down would be fine. I've never heard of bad withdrawals with buspar. But I have heard any type of medication you should gradually taper. Anyway, I am on 15mgs twice a day (30 total) and I've been on it about 6 months. I want to get off of it because I don't want to be on meds for a long time plus I feel its not helping anyway. Paxil or pax-hell, sent me into a year of absolute horrible withdrawal and it was probably 1.5 years before I felt normal again. I tapered from 40 mg, and had to make the smallest cuts... even 2.5 mg made me lose my mind. I REALLY hope Buspar is not like this. Can anyone tell me their experiences, and if after six months I can taper pretty quickly or does it have to be slow? Can someone give me an ideal taper schedule? (seriously you guys know more about this than doctors).
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (29 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes.

Offline wildbug

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: how can I wean from Buspar safely?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
Did you taper up on the medication? or just start at 30mg/day? Buspar made me crazy, but only one day after stopping it I am returning to planet earth.
Personally, I think its smart to taper off of any drug, especially one you body has become accustomed to, even if it may not be doing anything.

Just searching around the net, some people say they had problems when they instantly dropped Buspar, others say no problem at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiouSteve

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »
I can't find any information about Buspar Withdrawal, which leads me to believe that, unlike SSRIs, it isn't much of a concern.

Still, I agree that it's always better to wean.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 54
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »
I know it often seems like folks here can be better than doctors, particularly those that have gone through the same medication experiences (which, admittedly, most doctors have not). However, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not take the advice of those here as a substitute for the advice of your physician. Trusting your mental and physical health to an anonymous, though however well-meaning, stranger is a very dangerous prospect. (And to be quite honest, a lot of our information comes directly from Google, unless we happen to a professional in the field, and as we all know Dr. Google's School of Medicine is a bunch of crap, overall!)

What works for someone makes no guarantees as to if it will work for someone else. Truly. Please be careful! And if you do find a tapering schedule somewhere PLEASE discuss it with your doctor before implementing it.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Tags: