Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ran out of Xanax, Severe Attack Right Now  (Read 2707 times)

Offline beckmister82

• BECKY JO
  • Rec's: 0
  • BECKY JO
    • Poke This Member
Ran out of Xanax, Severe Attack Right Now
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »
I'm having another severe anxiety attack.  shaking, numbness in my arms and legs, tingling throughout my body, vomiting, blurred vision, flush feeling........ugh, I feel like I'm dying.  Doctor called in more Xanax and my friend is picking it up now.  I'm addicted to the stuff, and the Dr wants me to take it three times a day on top of my 100mg of Zoloft.  I'm a wreck.  I feel like a drug addict. 
Bookmark and Share
Rebecca Edmonds

Offline CoolCalmAndCollected

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ran out of Xanax, Severe Attack Right Now
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »
How long have you been taking this 3 times per day?  I was on something similar:  NO antidepressant, and klonopin (very similar to xanax) 3x per day per Rx, and a fourth time per day OK'd if needed.

I don't mean to scare you, but I ended up feeling like you describe to the extent that I had to go to the hospital - inpatient - for a week.  This reason this should not scare you is that the hospital is not a scary place at all... I just meant that I don't want to imply that you'll get worse like I did.  Maybe if you talk to your doctor you can get this under control at home.  Anyway, for me, this happened within about 3-4 months of 3 or 4 times per day doses which I took initially before I was even anxious (they were supposed to "ward off" possible anxiety.)

What they did in the hospital was basically ramp me off the benzodiazepine (xanax and clonazepam/klonopin are both benzos) over the course of three weeks (finishing ramping off after I got home.)  They started me on zoloft but it made me feel worse even though I had taken it in the past with no problem, and instead they put me on an old-school antidepressant which helped me to sleep.  (nortriptyline).

Soon I was back to myself.  I was so far around the bend I would never have guessed that I'd be watching TV, conversing with people, eating a lot, and generally running my life like usual, within a month.

It sounds like the regimen you are on might not be working for you.  The reason I had to go to the hospital was because of constant panic attacks like you described the other night (waking frequently with the feeling of hair standing up on end all up and down my back), nausea, inability to eat/drink or to stand up straight without feeling sick.  Constant discomfort.  In other words, I was totally dysfunctional and no use to anyone and unable to take basic care of myself. (like eating and drinking.)

Some people may bash me for saying this, but benzos, even at doses considered "not causing dependency" for some people, seem to cause dependency and lose their effectiveness for other people, and they exacerbate anxious depression.

You might need another doctor.  Please talk with a doctor or several of them before changing prescribed meds.  It's important since some can cause dangerous effects if discontinued suddenly or too rapidly.  I wish you the best.
Bookmark and Share
"Don't worry about things that will probably never happen." - one of my friends who has plenty to worry about but picks his worries. 

Offline beckmister82

• BECKY JO
  • BECKY JO
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:00:29 PM »
I haven't been taking it three times a day, only at night before bed.  His nurse called me this morning to tell me she called in a refill and that he wanted me to start taking it three times a day.  Up until this morning I had been okay.  It was just me missing that one pill last night.  I have had a constant anxiety attack - fight or flight feeling - since about 8 this morning. 
Bookmark and Share
Rebecca Edmonds

Offline CoolCalmAndCollected

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Ah, sorry...  you mentioned 3x per day.  Everyone is different, and maybe that will work for you.  I don't know the particulars of how long you've been taking the zoloft or what else your doctor is doing to help you.  Since you said you were feeling like an addict, I thought you meant 3x per day.  I don't think you can be addicted to taking that just one time per night but actually, my doctor did tell me that there can be a rebound effect the next day after taking that (sort of a dark, depressed or grouchy mood.)  So it's possible that taking it every night might be affecting you the next day.  I'm only guessing now.

I'm not a pharmacologist or an M.D.  I just wish your doctor would be helping you more.  I wonder if you need a new one.  I hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share
"Don't worry about things that will probably never happen." - one of my friends who has plenty to worry about but picks his worries. 

Offline beckmister82

• BECKY JO
  • BECKY JO
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
I've had the same doctor since I was 12.  I'm 27 now.  I've always had a fear of heart problems and dying from a heart attack.  My father died of a massive heart attack at the age of 46 when I was 9.  So I'm sure that's what has caused my fear.  I've had numerous tests done over that past 5 years on my heart and I've talked to counselors.  It all comes back that it's anxiety.  I've been on Zoloft for years, they have increased my dosage many times and now I'm on Xanax as well.  I'll go long periods of time where I'm fine and have no attacks at all, but then I'll have something horrible happen in my life or a really stressful situation come up and I start having anxiety attacks so bad I end up in the ER being pumped full of Ativan to calm me down.  The doctor automatically calls everything anxiety now because it's been going on for so long.  He knows my symptoms and how I behave. 
Bookmark and Share
Rebecca Edmonds

Offline hotanjill17

• life,laugh,love.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »
Hey Becky,

I'm new here and in a pretty similar situation to yours. One night I was laying in bed and felt a pain in my arm and immediately thought I was going to have a heart attack. After that is when I started having issues with anxiety/panic attacks. It's such a horrible feeling, like you're drowning or something. The Xanax is the only thing that keeps me chilled out. My doctor put me on Buspar last week and so far it's done nothing, so I have been popping Xanax like nobody's business. I mean seriously, is it possible to live in a constant state of anxiety and panic?? For a while I thought I was the only one and I felt like a crazy person.

I hope you get your Xanax soon! I know how scary it is during an attack! Oh yeah, I'm Jill...nice to meet you!!!!
Bookmark and Share
*Jill*

Offline Bama21

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:34:09 PM »
Hey Becky,

I'm new here and in a pretty similar situation to yours. One night I was laying in bed and felt a pain in my arm and immediately thought I was going to have a heart attack. After that is when I started having issues with anxiety/panic attacks. It's such a horrible feeling, like you're drowning or something. The Xanax is the only thing that keeps me chilled out. My doctor put me on Buspar last week and so far it's done nothing, so I have been popping Xanax like nobody's business. I mean seriously, is it possible to live in a constant state of anxiety and panic?? For a while I thought I was the only one and I felt like a crazy person.

I hope you get your Xanax soon! I know how scary it is during an attack! Oh yeah, I'm Jill...nice to meet you!!!!
I just read that Buspar generally will have minimal effect in 7-10 days and the full effects don't happen for about 3 weeks.  It's similar to an anti-depressant that way...which can take up to 6 weeks (maybe longer) for full effect.

I've always been a high-strung person, but I haven't had any type of disorder with anxiety until a few months ago...and I am 34.  I had a night-long panic attack during a big decision time in my life.  At first, I thought I could overcome the problem.  I just took a little Ativan at night before I went to bed.  Then, however, it really got in my mind and I started to go downhill.  I started on Citalopram (an anti-depressant) just before I got into a bad, depressive anxiety state. 

Now...I've been on the Citalopram for a little over a month and feel pretty good.  But...I am in a constant state of heightened anxiety.  I think EVERYBODY who suffers from GAD is like that, so you're definitely not alone.  Even if I'm not actually having a panic attack, it's a constant burden and weight on my mind...much the same way a bad physical illness with no definite cure would be on somebody's mind if they were diagnosed with it.

In fact, this is the heart of the issue for me.  I've seen multiple therapies on how to overcome the fear of having a panic attack.  I don't really feel fearful of having a panic attack (embarrassing myself at work or in public...things like that).  I just can't shake the worry that I will never be able to stop being constantly anxious.  It's a depressing feeling of not being normal like everyone else and feeling like your life has changed and you won't be able to get the old YOU back. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »
Finding the right therapist (he's in Portland OR if you are in the area) really fixed my panic attacks. Good CBT can work wonders for panic attacks. Health anxiety has been a little tougher nut to crack for me, but I can have a panic attack now (and I do) and just get on with life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
PS The point of my last post is that there is help!

Also, definitely you will get rebound anxiety if you are taking xanax every day at the same time and miss a day. It does not mean this is how you would feel if you stopped taking it altogether. The withdrawal makes you feel lots worse. I even had that on Zoloft -- So, hang in there.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: