Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Pain in left arm, tingling, and nausea  (Read 9695 times)

Offline beckmister82

• BECKY JO
  • Rec's: 0
  • BECKY JO
    • Poke This Member
Pain in left arm, tingling, and nausea
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:04:08 AM »
I wrote the other day about the problems I was having with exercise.  I was having dizzy spells, my heart was racing, and I was light headed.  Well, I haven't walked my son to school since Wednesday.  I woke up this morning with my left arm hurting, left shoulder, and the pain is also by my shoulder blade and right above my left breast.  I'm also having tingling in my left hand.  I drank some apple juice when I woke up and immediately felt like I was going to throw up.  Am I freaking out over nothing or should I see someone?  I don't have medical insurance and every time I go to the ER or doctor, my husband gets so angry with me because they tell me I'm fine, it's anxiety, and send me home with a huge bill that we can't afford.  I don't know what to do.  :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share
Rebecca Edmonds

Offline MJF

• Rec's: 19
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pain in left arm, tingling, and nausea
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
If you have been checked out by a doctor and told you have anxiety, then you need to figure out how to differentiate between serious symptoms and symptoms caused by anxiety.  When you write that you have arm, shoulder and chest pain along with nausea, then it is entirely consistent with panic... but it also points to a possible impending heart attack.  Nobody on here can tell you to ignore such symptoms. 

I would say however that if you are posting on here and debating what to do, then you are likely having mild anxiety-produced symptoms which you are building up and exaggerating in your mind.   Evaluate only how you feel in the present - no projections, no what ifs.  Separate the physical from the mental projections right now and after that if you need to go to the ER then you should absolutely go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline beckmister82

• BECKY JO
  • Rec's: 0
  • BECKY JO
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »
The reason I'm writing on here is because for many years, almost everything I've experienced has been anxiety related.  Only one time have I ever had pain that it turned out to be a medical problem, and it was my gallbladder.  I've gone to the doctor at least twice a year for four years thinking I had a heart problem.  Every time it turns out to be anxiety.  I've never done a treadmill test because none of the doctors felt it was necessary.  Only blood work, xrays, and EKG's.  The last time I saw a doctor and had an EKG was February.  I've given up talking to my husband and family about it because they get annoyed and frustrated and just tell me to get over it.  That's why I write on here. 
Bookmark and Share
Rebecca Edmonds

Offline MJF

• Rec's: 19
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:02:44 AM »
I understand that, but still the issue remains that nobody on here can tell you to ignore the symptoms you posted about.  Maybe how you present it to yourself and others is part of the issue?  It speaks to how damaging your inner voice is.  If you turn this around and say "I have anxiety and it has caused me to feel nauseated and dizzy" - that is a different presentation.  And that gives you something real to work with! 

I have found in my own HA fight that how I speak to myself is hugely important.  Asking myself "what is the problem right now" as opposed to all of the projections and what ifs has allowed me to really understand whether a physical issue is really an issue, or just something that I am fabricating in my mind.   

Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousMatt

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
I bet you slept on your shoulder an awkward way...I can never sleep on my left side without hurting my shoulder, neck, and arm...and it will often hurt, and feel tingly throughout the day...much like you I thought i was gonna have a heart attack or something, and im only 23 years old!

After many tests, nothing it wrong with my heart, I have low cholesterol and am in generally good health...anxiety just makes these seemingly minor symptoms turn into something drastic and with the worst possible outcome...

Ask yourself this...if you did not know the telltale signs of a heart attack, would you even consider these symptoms to be so drastic?

Ignorance is sometimes bliss :)
Bookmark and Share
Check out my blog! It might help you!

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?article=18998.0

Tags: