Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: physical symptoms of anxiety  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Nikki_3

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
physical symptoms of anxiety
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
 just a question , to reassure myself!!

when you have anxiety, is it possible for the physical symptoms to last for a couple days?...shortness of breath, dizzy..heart palps ...those symptoms....when I have anxiety my symptoms can sometimes last for days. I had a bad spell of anxiety/attacks and they were there for about 3 day, so the symptoms were obvious, but now that I'm calmer the physical symptoms are still here and its been about 24-48 hours since

I'm sorry if this don't make sense, lol

thanks- N-
Bookmark and Share
The mind is the devils playground, It's up to you if you want to play or not!

Offline butterflycollective

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: physical symptoms of anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
I hope so!  I have had ongoing symptoms for about a month but medically, nothing turned up with testing. Some of the symptoms do respond to Ativan and relaxation exercises (at least temporarily) but dizziness, palpitations and hyperventilation (which might be the shortness of breath directly and indirectly causing the others) and this feeling of either anxiety or adrenalin being released. And yeah, sometimes the physical symptoms without obvious anxiety, and even when I have more positive feelings. I found a book on Amazon at a bargain and had symptoms (more briefly) over that.

If you haven't done so and you're worried, a medical checkup isn't unreasonable at all and is often useful to rule out conditions like hypoglycemia, Mitral Prolapse Valve Disorder or thyroid/heart issues or other conditions. These can to a degree mimic anxiety/panic attacks with these symptoms. Sometimes getting a clean bill on these and others can help mitigate the anxiety a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jayavyan

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
Yes!  It is quite possible!  I would go as far as to say it's very common too.  One thing that keeps us on the ever-turning wheel of anxiety is that we think when our mind becomes calm and collected again, our symptoms should go away at the same time.  Not so!  At least, certainly not always.  Our bodies do continue to react for a while, even after the mental trauma has ceased (and all too often, it just triggers new trauma; "Why is this happening?  I'm calm now!  Maybe it's serious!")

Like Butterfly said, though, if you haven't been to a doctor, it's never a bad idea.  Not because there's something terribly wrong with you, but because getting to the bottom of the issue can be a great load off your mind.
Bookmark and Share
"He who fears death has already lost the life he covets."

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »
Even though you may not be in an acute anxiety situation (i.e. a panic attack or VERY high levels of anxiety) your body is still physically primed for fight or flight. Even though you may not consciously feel anxious, both your subconscious and your body "know" otherwise.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline forwells

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »
HI Nikki

Even though you may not be in an acute anxiety situation (i.e. a panic attack or VERY high levels of anxiety) your body is still physically primed for fight or flight. Even though you may not consciously feel anxious, both your subconscious and your body "know" otherwise.

I think this is well said. My first symptom was buzzing of my nerves across my chest. That was 8 months ago and freaked me out big time , Believe it or not i still have this symptom at times but it no longer worries me. I know what it is and it will go when ready. Once you understand and truly stop worrying about it then it will calm.

From what i understand when you have anxiety your raise the chemical level in your system and your subconscious mind reads this as normal so even after you think it has stopped it takes time to change your subconscious to reduce these levels

cheers and wishing you well
kev  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Anixety has no power , it lives only by the power we feed it . If we dont feed it it will die .

Offline Nikki_3

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »
thank-you all so much for your post's....

I am really starting to realize whats going on, even though new physical symptoms pop up all the time, I have dealt with anxiety for 7 years now, first time was when my now 7 year old son was 6 months old, it woke me up at 6 in the morning and I didn't know what the heck was going on,  Went on like that for almost 3 months until I finally herd about Anxiety and went to see my Doctor who sent me to a phys, I didn't like at all what I was seeing or hearing just for the face that she had diagnosed me with so many differant things just by checking off little boxes as she ask me questions, and tried to push meds on me, which I am not for. so that was the end of that!

But I couldn't have asked for it to go anyother way!, I was able to work with my self and tech myself how to talk my self out of attack and anxiety, but and there always a but right..lol, I can deal with the mental side of anxiety and attacks to a point, I can talk myself out of them , it takes time, but it works, it's the physical symptoms that get me all worked up, I know I have HA, so that really plays a part in it!, I guess what I am getting at it I can deal with the mental part but physical stuff really takes a toll on me, and like what happend this week, hubby went back to work on nights for the first time in months and is was all down hill after that, My anxiety lasted 3 days on and off, more on than off, the physical was nightmare, so...after I was able to put myself in a spot were I was OK again mentally the physical never left!, not to mention my ""friend" came to visit which probably didn't help, tonight I am feeling better than I was this moring , I am just trying to grasp the reason why the physical lasts so much longer, and does it happen to any one else for a number of days?

thanks so much for listening  :-*

Nikki
Bookmark and Share
The mind is the devils playground, It's up to you if you want to play or not!

Offline butterflycollective

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
I find the mental anxiety easier to deal with than the physical symptoms too. And my worst is nerve sensations that start in one arm and go into my neck probably from carrying bags on that shoulder and backpack but I get worked up over it to the point where I think is arm is not attached or going to fall off even though it's not numb or anything like that though I did have a radial nerve impingement from heavy groceries that was a bit scary a while back.

My worst panic attacks involved that first.  The heart/breathing type of anxiety or panic is a bit below the nerve one meaning I feel like I'm making some iota of progress with the former through breathing exercises which don't work as well for the nerve symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:08:56 AM »
i've had physical symptoms that have lasted months--buzzing feet, twitching muscles for example.

As shrub said, you may not consciously that you are anxious, but your body knows.

Also once you have lived in a constant or near constant state of anxiety and the adrenaline is pouring out for long periods of time, you won't need a trigger anymore to get you anxious.  It will be like it is natural for your mind and body to feel uptight. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline juttap

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
Hi there! Just telling you about my physical symptoms alone will make you feel better! lol
I have had anxiety for 20+ years! Sometimes it temporarily went away but then came back with skin rashes due to nervousness. Then I had severe panic attacks for a year or so and ended up in the emergency room. They told me to go back home and drink a glass of red wine and relax. I took them up on it and drowned my anxiety in red wine and later beer but it didn't help in the long run. I of course stopped that and went to a lot of counseling where they told me I had GAD. Then a few years later I started heart palps, incl. ectopic beats and just about went nuts. I still have them. I also acquired Ulcerative Colitis (which is in my family) and my trigger is stress and anxiety. All together I think I could possibly go insane but then I get myself back together. To make matters worse my counselor then told me that GAD is usually a "miswiring" in the brain and that it would probably never go away. People with Colitis usually suffer from anxiety and depression as well. Double whammie. Nice. So I started some meds but they had so many side effects that I got plain anxiety just from that.
I still worry about anything that comes along. I usually have no control over what I panic about and lately I have been working hard to stop whatever I am doing when I get anxious and to evaluate the situation. Then, when I realize it is really not that bad and nothing bad will happen (positive, eh?) then I go on and put it behind me. It is hard work for me but it works.
Bookmark and Share

Offline abeja_reina_1989

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Find the positive in everything
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 03:05:15 AM »
Yes, they can last for a very long time. For me, the past week all I want to do is sleep. Usually, I'm the kind of person that, when I'm not tired, I just literally can NOT sleep. Well I've been sleeping pretty much all day every day and just can't get enough. I was wondering if it was my meds, but I know it's not because I CAN stay awake, I'm just lazy and choose not to. I'm taking citalopram if anyone is curious..
so ya.. I mean.. I've also had days and days of constant crying or headaches.. etc.. so yes, I can relate
Bookmark and Share

Offline BamaErin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
Im so thankful I saw this!  My physical symptoms are so bothersome and affect me most of the day, everyday.  If anything it's comforting to know I am not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WishfullnHopefull

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »
i've had physical symptoms that have lasted months--buzzing feet, twitching muscles for example.

As shrub said, you may not consciously that you are anxious, but your body knows.

Also once you have lived in a constant or near constant state of anxiety and the adrenaline is pouring out for long periods of time, you won't need a trigger anymore to get you anxious.  It will be like it is natural for your mind and body to feel uptight.
i agree with this as sone as i wake up in the morning i get symptoms because i have had constant state of anxiety for so long threw out the day i can go to no energy to high energy due to anxiety wears me out its like o no here we go again and the symptoms come on
Bookmark and Share

Offline Braveheart

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
The first time I started having physical symptoms, I went into full panic mode, which lasted for about 4 days. The physical symptoms were so intense I thought I was dying.  A trip to A&E settled me down when they told me nothing was wrong with my heart or any other organ. However, when I started to feel those feelings of adrenaline again, which is a nightmare for me, even as I type this message,  I was right back on alert and thinking I was about to meet my doom. It's crazy how anxiety plays on your mind. About 8 months ago, not a day went by without me getting horrible feelings, nowadays I can go a week or so without feeling anything at all. I suppose it can depend on your state of mind etc.

Anyway, I hope you feel better and get through your physical symptoms without worrying too much. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mama00

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »
When I am anxious - all my senses are on hyperdrive and yes I have very very real symptoms.  Like numbness in my extremities, heart skipping, shortness of breath, coughs, all sort of issues.  Right now I am anxious about my house and I smell stuff all over my house.   Some people can smell it but I smell it 1000x more and it freaks me out.  Anxiety will pretty much make you feel, hear, smell whatever you are afraid off and once you tune yourself to listen to that it will be very LOUD.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
Days, weeks, months. I even had one symptom that lasted over a year and it was all due to my anxiet. It took a consultant to explain it to me fully and once I accepted ym anxiety and nerves were causing this pain to persist it finally subsided.

What makes it tough is that it can affect any part of the body. Right now i've got some horrid dizziness. Head feels heavy, almost aching - hard to explain. 2 nights ago it was bad rib pain. Earlier this morning - sore stomach muscles. The day before that some bad arm pains. They go away quicker when we keep ourselves busy and try not to react to the pains. Not with emotion or anything of the sort. Accept what it is and move on.

That can be very difficult to do I must admit. When we keep busy the symptoms can lessen or disappear entirely, but sometimes they won't

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"