Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Struggled to catch my breath today  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Struggled to catch my breath today
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:04:36 PM »
I've really struggled for 4-5 hours of being very breathless. It is like I am being smothered and my chest gets tight. I feel a little better now, but I am waiting for the next wave of breathlessness to come in. I tested normal on my lung function tests and it is not asthma. I tested normal on an echocardiogram and stress test for the past two years (didn't have a test this year).

I have been on the same dose of Clonazepam for three years; .5 mg once a day. I am wondering if I have built a major tolerance to this med and need to change medicines. I am scheduled for a therapist appt Monday and hopefully a psychiatrist next week.

I have been suffocating for two months now. This sucks so bad I wish my only problem was a few skipped beats, twitches, etc, cause not feeling like I'm getting any air for most of the day is by far the worst problem I have ever had.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Struggled to catch my breath today
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »
If your symptoms persist and you can't explain why, I would contact
your physician and let him/her know that your symptoms are persisting.
I would keep a journal of your symptoms including the exact nature of them,
time of day. their duration and any other pertinent information. This will
help your doctor better diagnose what is going on and why you are feeling
so poorly. My doctors always told me to keep a log of symptoms, etc. so they
could help diagnose the problem better, In the least, if nothing is found, than
you will have some peace of mind. Many years ago I would get this feeing in my
right thigh that felt like someone was pouring cold water over it. It would happen out of
nowhere and would get numb to the touch and itch. It turned out to be a nerve and the
doctor told me he can operate or i can learn to live with it. Now about 22 years
later, I am still living with the numbness and itching, but the cold water feeling
is gone. Your quality of life is an issue and you should get to the bottom of what
is going on so you get get your life back to the way it was.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »
you know I've been feeling this way today myself.  Actually I do this periodically.  My right ear gets very plugged up sometime, making it harder to swallow.  So I think that has something to do with it.  For me, anyway, I think it is allergy or sinus drainage related.  I've been to my GP about it a couple of times,  but I'll probably end up seeing an ENT.  I do get tired of this as well.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
I have really started to note when this breathlessness starts each day and what makes it better/worse. I think it is my anxiety med is no longer working after a few hours and my body is reacting with chronic breathlessness.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:56:15 PM »
So long as you continue waiting for and expecting the next wave of breathlessness, your anxiety will be all too happy to oblige and you shall continue to be breathless.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline laura124

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:25:28 PM »
I agree with shrublet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:39:40 PM »
Yep...this breathlessness feels "out of the ordinary" from what my run of the mill health anxiety symptoms have been in the past. I have had the battery of tests, I guess it is time to go back to the doctor and tell her that this is debilitating.

If I am creating this in my mind, which I hope, than I need to get to the bottom of this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »
Are you any better now, Breathless? I have been having bouts of this same smothery stuff the past few days, too. I just had a stress test last month and EKG's and bloodwork a few times in October, too. Now I get this creeping smothering sensation like I'm hyperventilating and can't get the air in and it's like I get all tight like someone's taking my air out or choking me. I panic and get a hot flash, too. Feels terrifying. It just comes over me like a wave and lasts 10 -20 seconds or so. It's not like when you run and get out of breath but like you're smothering and out of nowhere.

I also had a lung scan back in March which was normal. I had a PFT some years ago and countless EKG's and been to the ER so many times and to the clinic countless times for EKG's and my last echo was last October in 2008 along with a Holte rmonitor and a 30 day event monitor for all of last November. All my tests are always normal so my cardio guy says it's anxiety. Everyone gives me Zoloft and Xanax. I have finally started taking a little Xanax and was on 25 mgs of Zoloft. I kind of took myself off it because I was afraid to increase it to 50 mgs.

I don't have insurance so it's hard to spend hundreds of bucks out of pocket on this but I'm so scared. Sometimes I just get the chokey/smothery feeling for no reason. I went 5 hours today without it and felt good then I got all riled up on another board where they were arguing so I got smothery again. When I stand up I get it and my heart races. I ran up and down the stairs today but didn't feel it at all, just normal out of breath from exercise. It's so scary and I don't know what to do. I have had pretty mch all the tests and they say normal. My doc says I hyperventilate and honestly it DOES feel exactly like when you hyperventilate. But I can't seem to stop it.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
Amazing that I posted this 5 years ago and word for word I'm right back in the same place...can't catch my breath, feel smothered. It's came and went over the years but it's been back for a month.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: