Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Things to keep in mind when Googling  (Read 73711 times)

Offline Angell4567

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Things to keep in mind when Googling
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »
Oh my gosh. Thank you. I notice whenever Iget anxiety or anything I go straight to google. I didn't think it could actually become a addiction or anything. I now realize I'm CONSTANTLY doing that. It needs to stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietyqueen91

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »
Made me feel better   :winking0008:  my HA is soooo bad and I constantly google EVERYTHING..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leigh88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
Great post, when I read it it makes sense and I think ok ill be ok. Then a few minutes goes by and my anxiety starts. I had to get rabie booster shots and didn't need them and now I'm scared the vaccine was made wrong and had the virus in it and I'm afraid ill die in a year or two bc the virus can hide for that long.
Bookmark and Share

Offline samantha862000

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
Great post! This is something that really hits home with a lot of people including myself.  :spineyes:Thanks, Samantha
Bookmark and Share

Offline freeloving

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2013, 02:11:30 AM »
WOW! What an excellent post! Thank you! Im new here and this one post alone put some things in perspective for me. I have never heard of statistics talked about in this way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mindylee86

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2013, 02:27:56 AM »
I was up all last night googling  :dazed: can it really make you feel like you have those symptoms when you really don't? I read things about swollen ankles and everytime I think about my ankle it feels swollen what the ...
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »
 :dazed:  I'm so ashamed... I just read Steve's statistics, and they centered around pancreatic ca (my current obsession) and I now see how silly I've been... I have RUINED Halloween and my 10th Wedding Anniversary fretting over symptoms I've had for close to 6 months (with PC, I'd be very sick by now if I actually had it).  I'm one of those unfortunately souls who has fibromyalgia (which can cause a mind-boggling array of symptoms and send a hypo like me running to the nearest ER).  Fibromyalgia can cause IBS, gas, nausea, bowel changes, pain in and around the rib cage aka costrochondritis (sp), rapid gastric emptying, and dozens of other symptoms that can scare the poo outta ya (literally!)  That link really hit the spot... thank you for having the foresight to post it.  Hugs
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline dawn_is_back

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
I am so guilty of this but I do not do it anymore and havent in years.  I always got the worst case scenerios and then I was freaked out for days! Very scary.  I have a huge fear of taking medicine so this is something i am gettin better at. I used to have my mom google stuff for me and not tell methe bad stuff so that was my system.  It worked cus she didnt tell me the horror stories...
Bookmark and Share

Offline alwaysworring

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2013, 07:04:07 AM »
 I'm  guilty!!  I've  been  trying  to  stay  away  from it  though.  googling symptoms  and  drug  side  effects  are  my  weakness.  makes me not want to  take  anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ladybuglove13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
i do the same thing. I google and google and google. I google symptoms and medications. Symptoms scare the heck outta me and make me fearful of everything. Googling the medications is also no good because I then don't want to take the medicine that is supposed to help with these "symptoms" I am having. never-ending cycle. This time after leaving the dr and getting my meds I just took them. I looked over the pamphlet of "side affects" and kept on going.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rose89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
I tend to initially google as a way of reassuring myself, which then ends up just making me more anxious. For example, I've recently been getting some pain in my lower abdomen on one side, so I thought maybe it was an ectopic pregnancy... but I'd had a period the week before, so I thought "well it can't be that because I've had a period, and I'll prove it to myself..." I then googled "ectopic pregnancy period", hoping that the internet would say something like "you'd miss a period if you had an ectopic pregnancy"... but of course the first thing I read was an account of someone with an ectopic pregnancy who hadn't missed a period. Another example is that I've had loads of acid reflux lately and also a fairly constant sharp pain in my stomach... my fear was stomach cancer, so I googled my symptoms hoping to find lots of other less-serious things that it could be, but stomach cancer was one of the first things my search brought up, and so I worried more.

I recently spoke to a retired doctor about my health anxiety, and she said, "When you hear hoofbeats, don't immediately think of zebras." I think that's definitely true - as sufferers of health anxiety we immediately jump to the worst conclusion when we get a symptom (or even just hear about a certain illness) - but most of the time there is a perfectly harmless explanation for what we're experiencing. And it's worth bearing in mind that stress and anxiety can give you symptoms such as heart palpitations, chest pains, headaches, digestive problems, eczema, etc. It's a vicious circle. I tend to think of a disease and get fixated on it, until I start getting the symptoms... I then actually worry that I've somehow GIVEN myself the particular health problem just by worrying about it. In other aspects of life I'm quite a rational person, but all reason has gone out the window recently when it comes to my health. Several years ago I went through a similar phase of health anxiety after reading something about appendicitis and realising that it could happen to anyone at any time... then a few days later I got a sharp pain in the place where my appendix was and went to my doctor, who sent me on to the hospital with suspected appendicitis. I had a scan and blood tests done and they picked nothing up, so they sent me home again. Over the next six months I was obsessed with the idea that I had a grumbling appendix... I kept getting pain there, or thinking I had pain there... in the end I had another scan done, and this time it showed my appendix to be very engorged and surrounded by fluid, suggesting inflammation. I had it taken out and it was confirmed that it was indeed appendicitis. Since then I always worry that I somehow have the power to give myself a serious health problem just by worrying about it... Does anyone else have anything similar?

I find that distraction is one of the best ways of easing health anxiety, but the distraction has to be something you're really interested in, otherwise it won't work. I've gone a bit off-topic now though so will save that for another post!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bdml5

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
Love his post and will be referring to a lot. Probably daily lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #207 on: December 10, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
Wow... This is giving me some peace of mind thank you!
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline marty_MUFC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »
I think this is one of the worse things i do. Every time i feel i have something wrong with me i google it
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rangers14

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »
Google is the absolute worse. It heightens anxiety and being hypocondriacts we always Sume worse and become obsessed. Easier said...
Bookmark and Share