Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sudden increase in body hair growth long after puberty - please help :(  (Read 12683 times)

Offline forkintheroad

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone ever experienced a considerable increase in body/pubic hair growth long after puberty (say at your mid-20s or older)?  I'm a male in my late 20s, and obviously I have noticed my body hair gradually increase since the end of puberty (very normal), but have noticed over the last 6-12 months a significant lengthening in hair over a short period, especially hair in the pubic region, legs, abdomen, and face.  If this happened during puberty then I know it would be 100% normal, however late 20s??? 

Other than my eyebrows and pubic hair I've actually had quite a bit less than ordinary amounts of body hair (given my age) until recently, so I'm trying to reassure myself that this may just be a normal "catching up".  However I can't get over the possibility that this rapid hair growth could mean something serious as implied by sites on the internet.  For instance, the pubic hairs on the underside of my scrotum have grown to 3 inches over literally a matter of months (I'm quite sure that a few months ago they were no longer than 1-1.5 inches!).  Also, 1-2 years ago I could get away with only shaving my facial hair once every other day, whereas now if I am going out in the evening, having shaved in the morning, I more or less need to shave again.  :(

Thanks in advance for any help! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 197
    • Poke This Member
my hubby shaves in the morning and often times has to shave in the evening again if we are going to go out.  My hubby was talking to my son about shaving recently.  He told him that in the beginning--like teenage years--he shaved once every two weeks.  As he aged, it became more often.  I think that is age with you there. Shortly you may start noticing hair growth on your back, nose, ears and stuff.  That's pretty typical for men.  I'm a woman so I can't address your hair under the scrotum. BUT I can say that my girl hairs do need a trim--some grow quit long. :-*

I really, really don't think you have anything to be worried about at all.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline CoolCalmAndCollected

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
I am guessing this is normal; I think people get hairier as they get older.  OK, sorry to be personal but that's the nature of the topic, right?  As a female I think I have noticed more hair into late 20s/early 30s.  I know for a fact that I had less bikini shaving issues in late teens/early 20s when I was a lifeguard (thus I remember it, because I had to wear a swimsuit.)  For example I got hair under the navel I'd say in my mid 20s/increasing in 30s (I'm 43 now.)  I thought I was a freak at the time but later learned it's common enough; I just shave it off and forget about it.  No big deal - I can't help being human.  I also have hair on my toes and I know that somewhat unusual for a female but I probably have more testosterone than most (good for vitality and sex drive, my doctor told me) so I just shave it when shaving the legs (when/if I get around to that) and again - big whoop -that's the way humans are made.

Also, I only met and married my husband when he was 39 and he's 48 now and has definitely grown chest hair during that time.  I know many people know that's normal for men - less hair when younger - more when older - on the chest so I'm guessing it's normal for both genders and in places other than the chest.
Bookmark and Share
"Don't worry about things that will probably never happen." - one of my friends who has plenty to worry about but picks his worries. 

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
It just gets worse! My husband has gotten hairier every year I've known him and he is 41 now. He'll be a full fledged gorilla by the time he's 80. You won't believe the places hair will grow -- I'll leave it at that! ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline forkintheroad

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Hi sixpack, CoolCalmAndCollected, and gridder:

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply (especially since as you're all female it isn't the most comfortable topic to discuss!).  I'm sorry it took me this long to reply, was without internet access for several days unfortunately.  Anyway, due in large part to your help my worry is already significantly less than it was when I first started the topic.  I will try to reduce the worry even further, but in the meantime thanks again and I hope I will be able to help as well if any of you have your own questions/worries in the future.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: