Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Off meds and anxiety free for 3-years now :)  (Read 12128 times)

Offline bluewings

• Rec's: 1
  • {Never stop praying} I Thess. 5:17
    • Poke This Member
Re: Off meds and anxiety free for 3-years now :)
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
I'm really interested in what TEA is?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluewings

• Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »
Hello- This is so inspiring! I have suffered anxiety throughout my life. Last year it really hit me bad and I was having constant anxiety as well as horrible panic attacks. I went on medication as my last resort because I felt that I couldn't function without it. In the past few months I have felt great and I am starting to go off of the medicine. I was on Lexapro 10mg and went off of that completely as advised by my dr. I am also taking Effexor/Venlafexine 75mg. I am going off of that now as well. He dropped me down to 37.5mg and then he said to take it for a month and then stop taking it once it is finished. I am starting to get some withdrawal symptoms from it and was wondering what you faced while going off of medication. I really want to fight this anxiety on my own and not have to take medicine the rest of my life. :)

I know you meant this for the OP, but I was on Effexor for a lonnnnng time.

Once I was on it in my teenage years (75mg).  Then I stopped during my pregnancy (age 22).  I began it again after our daughter was born and it made me soooo sick.  I then stopped it again and noticed some withdrawal symptoms.  My key was NOT Googling the withdrawal symptoms or things about how some people hate anti-depressants because they're "so horrible for you" blah blah.  If you do that, you'll cause yourself HA. 

I'm not as "fixed" as the OP is, but I do prefer natural methods as you seem to desire for yourself.  Exercise, proper diet with plenty of water, yoga/meditation/prayer, socializing, sunshine (I'm not kidding! LOL), therapy and refusing to Google have all helped me tremendously!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jen2213

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
TEA forms are a strategy in Sam Orbitz's book "Been There, Done That, Do This"

The T stands for Thoughts (negative, inaccurate, mistaken beliefs etc that you have)
The E stands for the Errors in your thoughts (jumping to conlusions, emotional blocking, extreme thinking, etc.)
And the A stands for Analysis

You have a negative/inaccurate thought, write it down, Choose from the negative thinking rules which type of Error you made, and then analyze it and write a counter statement about it:

Example:

T- I will NEVER get better
E- Blowing things out of proportion
A- Many people overcome their anxiety disorders and have fulfulling lives, if I work hard and keep at it, I will succeed too.

here is a link to a more descriptive analysis of the TEA forms:

http://insightsynthesis.com/tag/tea-form-exercise/

I forgot about this and think I should start doing it again. I think it is recommended to do it for at least 15 minutes every day .
Bookmark and Share
I have CDO, it's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!!

Offline jen2213

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
PS: I just ordered the book. I checked on Amazon and it's going for over $60, but you can order it directly from the website of the author:  www.tao.com for about $16 including shipping (US)
Bookmark and Share
I have CDO, it's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!!

Offline bluewings

• Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »

The T stands for Thoughts (negative, inaccurate, mistaken beliefs etc that you have)
The E stands for the Errors in your thoughts (jumping to conlusions, emotional blocking, extreme thinking, etc.)

You have a negative/inaccurate thought, write it down, Choose from the negative thinking rules which type of Error you made, and then analyze it and write a counter statement about it:

Example:

A- Many people overcome their anxiety disorders and have fulfulling lives, if I work hard and keep at it, I will succeed too.

I forgot about this and think I should start doing it again. I think it is recommended to do it for at least 15 minutes every day .

Thanks so much!  I think I may order his book.  Thanks for taking the time out to write that out for me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jamie

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
 I agree about CBT being of benefit to anyone who suffers. I think they should teach it in health classes in high school.
[/quote]

I totally agree with that and wish they did teach some basics in school..
If you want to sum up CBT in just a few words, it basically boils down to having a "calm" reaction to a symptom instead of an anxious reaction, which is going to be your normal reaction.. However, the learning process to be able to do so is time consuming so you have to be very patient (there's that word again calm/patient)..
[/quote]

Well said!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jamie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »

Example:

Excellent post, thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jamie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »
PS: I just ordered the book. I checked on Amazon and it's going for over $60, but you can order it directly from the website of the author:  www.tao.com for about $16 including shipping (US)

The link your posted for the author is a modeling website and not the book. I checked my copy of the book and it appears that you left a "3" off the authors web address www.tao3.com
Bookmark and Share

Offline tma

• Rec's: 8
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »

The link your posted for the author is a modeling website and not the book. I checked my copy of the book and it appears that you left a "3" off the authors web address www.tao3.com

Thanks Jamie and Jen for answering while I was away. Sorry to disappear but I am feeling so great now I get all wrapped up in what in my busy life and neglected to come check on everyone. I hope all are doing well and sticking with CBT and the TEA forms and experiencing benefits similar to what I have achieved. :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Celine1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

Hi everybody it's me Celine but I have a new moniker because it would not let me sign in with my old password and username and when I tried to re-register it said my old moniker was taken. Weird huh?
Anyway, I am doing fantastic and still using the TEA forms several times a week and have not looked back. I miss all you guys and hope all my friends are still feeling great too :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline cutecat25

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »
Congrats Jamie, what an inspiration you are!
I love reading stories like yours, it makes me realise there ALWAYS is hope for anybody!
Thanks so much, best of luck :))
Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Offline Celine1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Hey Everyone,
I finally had some free time and signed in on here and just realized I have not been getting my reply notifications :angry:
I just thought the site went away, but happy to be wrong and I hope everyone is feeling great. My life is going better than ever and I know it lot of it to my friends on here!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Faron79

• Rock-n-Roller!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Mischievous
    Mischievous
  • Thoughts CANNOT harm you...therefore fear cannot..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 12:55:18 AM »
This book was recommended to me by my CBT...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Anxiety-Worry-Workbook-Behavioral/dp/160623918X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I benefited SO MUCH from the COMBINATION OF a good CBT, & the Zoloft (100 mg./day) I took for a year under her care in 2012-2013.

Knowing what I know NOW, I realize how important BOTH were. Zoloft helps you to be less anxious, yes. BUT...it doesn't solve anything BY ITSELF!!!!
It helps you be less anxious >>> WHILE <<< you're learning new thinking-skills thru CBT!

Zoloft DOESN'T:
* teach you how to view things differently...
* explain how your fears start...
* teach techniques of working thru fears...
* change anything BY ITSELF in LONG-RUN, meaningful ways...

I'm not gonna lie...I was SCARED when my CBT suggested lengthening the time between our visits!! I think the first few visits were 2-3 wks apart. I didn't know if I could do it past a 2 week time-frame! Well...I did it OK, & pretty soon my appts. were 2 MONTHS apart! Then we discussed my tapering off Zoloft after a year...Oh no! She prepared me well for it though, & it went pretty smooth. Last Zoloft pill was April 2013!

I didn't think I could do any of this before.
Well, I just did.
If I can...YOU can :happy0151: :yes:!!!

Faron
Bookmark and Share

Offline esgirl101

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 07:31:06 AM »
My meds are kicking in, I have support from therapy and I'm reaching out to my fam and friends more than ever. I'm just realizing that I don't want to look back at all the opportunities I missed in life. I want to do the things that scare me, because I know it's good for me. I want to learn more about these disorders and help others. I realized this is my purpose in life. I wouldn't change any of it for the world! It make me who I am today and I'm so happy to be where I am. I have the most amazing boyfriend. Sure, I quit my job, but I'm learning that life moves on and at the end of the day, everything will work out somehow.

Why stress over what we can't control?

Also, just coming to the realization that this is something I'm dealing with and will have the rest of my life.. that used to be such a negative statement  for me, but it's all in the way you deal with the feelings when you get them. Instead of saying 'oh no! here we go...' think: 'i can get through this.. i can take deep breaths and relax'

Thank you so much for sharing this, this is just what I needed to hear. I quit my job after just 2 weeks, because it was hellish and my anxiety just got the better of me and I had a total breakdown. I am now on meds, but have been worrying every day about the future. Your post gives me hope, so thanks so much for sharing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Faron79

• Rock-n-Roller!
  • Mood: Mischievous
    Mischievous
  • Thoughts CANNOT harm you...therefore fear cannot..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 12:23:49 AM »
Esgirl-
Are you seeing any kind of Dr. as well? Pills ALONE won't do much...

Faron
Bookmark and Share

Tags: