Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Ongoing Panic through medications  (Read 775 times)

Offline aphotic

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Ongoing Panic through medications
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:59:19 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm sure there are quite a few threads about something similar, but I've been dealing with this for almost 5 years with no real benefits. I had a panic attack (I guess, on the hypo forum for a reason) about 5 years ago and went to the hospital with it. They ran a few tests, and gave me ativan along with a follow-up with a psych. I've since been on every SSRI literally, most mood stabilizers, and almost every anti-anxiety drug out there. The SSRI's literally give me horrible side effects which the psych evaluated and discontinued use. I can get a calmer feeling from benzos, but I don't think anyone wants to be on an addictive medication for very long. Neurontin, Lyrica, Buspirone (sp?), and other alternatives all did nothing.

Here is what is happening- I go through periods where my circulation is just terrible. My limbs go numb, my vision blurs, and often times I faint. This occurs even worse when I lift weights and run, of which I'm not willing to stop cardio. I have a never-ending thirst, always feel irritated, and just overall I'm living with no quality of life despite good resources.  It got so bad and frustrating about a year ago that I slit my wrists fairly well, and landed in the hospital. I just can't explain these periods that come and go every couple of weeks, but they last for a few days of intense suffering. Is this what happens with other people's panic? I don't even know what I have to worry about, and it just feels physical. Once one doctor says panic, it just seems to be it. I had a brain MRI (god knows what for), an EKG (you'd have to be having the issue at the time), and an extensive brain study. I'm running out of hope that it's ever going to get better. The psychologist didn't help, pschiatrist didn't help, and for a good few years, I was buying into everything. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I exercise and have mitigated my stress...what's left?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aphotic

• Poke This Member
Re: Ongoing Panic through medications
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:06:34 PM »
Oh, and I'm only 25.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:11:40 PM »
I can often get very "sick" feeling with anxiety -- where I think "does anyone else on Earth feel this bad?" I used to have panic attacks, and while I have probably had 5 therapists in my life, finding one really good one that specialized in anxiety really went a long way in helping with the panic attacks.

I also find that reading spiritual things - particularly eastern traditions (try Pema Chodron) really helps me get things in perspective. I also recommend the book Loving What Is, by Byron Katie. As I get older I am coming to peace with the fact that I am a person who sometimes has health anxiety. I just allow that to be on some level, and don't catastrophize it. Some people drink, some people smoke, and sometimes I worry too much about health. No big deal. If I get all caught up in "what is wrong with me" and "will it ever go away" and "why do I feel bad," the episodes get much longer. That is similar to how I finally learned to deal with panic attacks. Really believing that they didn't mean anything, and that they couldn't really hurt me on any real level, took all of the scary out of the monster. Now if I have one I think "Oh, panic attack" and go on about my business. I wouldn't squelch them with drugs unless I absolutely had to -- that just feeds into the fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »
PS I will say that I got to the place I am with panic attacks with the help of a really skilled therapist. But, the main idea is that when you feel panic coming on -- lean into it. I will sometimes sit down, open my chest, and just say "bring it on. Do your worst." Now, panic attacks can be very psychically/physically painful, but they can't hurt you, and I've found if I treat them this way, then I am not constantly running around thinking "could I have one now? Might I have one if I do x.y.z?, which was even more psychically painful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eversogreatfull

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
Hi welcome new one!! You said you like to work out ? Are you on any supplements ? Sometimes supplements can have Strange side effects ( for example) I used to take green tea pills but it made me jittery , and dizzy and faint, and double vision. I took myself off and it took weeks for me to recover.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aphotic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:50:16 PM »
Oh I don't take anything but a multi-vitamin. I do drink some green tea though, the non-caffeinated varieties though. I don't think that could be it, but yeah, the caffeine from those types of weight loss pills would aggrivate the things I know I can prevent. I loathe the "Rockstar" drink fad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
 A patient therapist you trust, and a trust in yourself that you hold the key to unlock this mystery.  Everynight that it's clear, I watch the sun go down.  It is amazing to me, and quite remarkable.  It also settles my anxiety, even after a particularly bad day.  Each day is new and can bring renewed hope.  That's the best thing about life.  You never know what's right around the corner that could change things for you significantly.  I know it's been a long time for you, but you are young and have penty of time to heal.  And you will heal...and this, too, shall pass for you.

My best regards,  Julie
Bookmark and Share

Tags: