Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Alprazolam (Xanax) generic manufacturers...  (Read 29826 times)

Offline muldoon

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Alprazolam (Xanax) generic manufacturers...
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered, as I don't have time to go through 51 pages of threads right now or anytime soon  :bigsmile:. I noticed something tonight and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

I've been taking generic Xanax XR 2mg daily manufactured by Greenstone. I also take an IR 1mg before bed manufactured by PurePac. I have been taking the PurePac IRs for some time now. I also have an OLD little bottle of generic IR Xanax that was filled maybe 4 years ago at an in-clinic pharmacy that I keep in my gym bag just in case.

Tonight was a rough night (some relationship issues ***** play). Even after a vigorous workout, I had that persistent mindframe & general uncomfortable feeling that's usually a precursor to a bad attack. So I split one of these old Sandoz (blue football-shaped) in half. The efficacy between the Sandoz & Purepac was like a night & day comparison. Even sitting here now, a good 3 hours has passed and it feels like I have taken 2 of the PurePacs when I only took .5 of the Sandoz.

To everyone who takes Xanax or it's "generic equivalents", have you tried different manufacturers & found a profound difference in the effectiveness between brands? I was almost tempted to toss these a few times over the last year because I thought they might be too old. Now I may just have to seek out this brand in particular!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
Re: Alprazolam (Xanax) generic manufacturers...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
I noticed that the generic I get at CVS works better than the generic at Walgreens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:59:42 AM »
I had to take another half Sandoz tonight and it continues to prove itself far more effective than these Walgreen PurePac things.

Has anyone here actually tried or is on the real deal Xanax? Really high copay for them for me & virtually zero local pharmacies carry it. I'd have to get it through my script co's mail-in program if I wanted the name brand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »
Let's make a list of manufacturers and how well their versions of alprazolam perform.

Xanax IR:

Actavis = bad
Mylan = good
Brand = a little better than Mylan but not worth the extra $100 out of pocket expense

Xanax XR:

Actavis = bad (releases too quickly, hit a ton of bricks around hour 3, then get anxious again around hour 6)
Brand = TBD

I's used brand Xanax XR before it became generic, around 2006.  It worked the whole day.  I'm not sure how it will work for me now.  I had stopped Xanax XR before because it was about $150/month for 1 mg tablets.  I couldn't afford it.

I tossed the Actavis and got the 2 mg Brand at $5/pill.  Sheesh.  I'm going to find a pharmacy that carries Greenstone.

Finding good generics is annoying.  The Brand companies spend all sorts of money and time polishing up their drugs to meet FDA approval and gain trust from the public, while the generic companies seem to freeride off that approval, trust, and research when the patent expires and make an inferior product.  The FDA will totally deny this, of course.

I've been searching for the process of getting FDA approval for a generic drug.  I have found that it is supposedly as rigorous as getting approval for a brand new, brand name drug.  The generics are supposed to prove that they are just as effective as the brand.  Then why do some underperform when they reach the market?

This has been my experience with alprazolam IR, XR and Wellbutrin SR, XL.
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:56:31 PM »
I talked to the pharmacist ***** Walgreen's today & asked about special ordering a different brand of Alprazolam. He said he could order any but they just keep PurePac in stock (probably because it's cheapest). I asked if he could order me REAL Xanax, and to my surprise, he said sure, & it'd be there tomorrow morning. I was shocked, to say the least.

So, in the next few days I'll find out if name brand Xanax is really better. I have a higher copay for name brand drugs ($35) and of course, my ins co frowns upon it, but at least I'll be able to find out once and for all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:43:42 PM »
I envy your copay.

Again, I spend $400/month for medications.
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
i remember before walgreens used purepac ativan they had ranbaxy, which was almost worthless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
I asked my therapist why there is such quality variance in generics.  She said that a generic's quality is related to which generation it is from.  For example, the first generation generics, the ones that copied the original formula first, are more like the original than the second, third, or fourth generations.  A second generation tends to be a copy of the first.  The third, a copy of the second.  The fourth, a copy of the third.  And so on.  I hope you can infer that a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy might not work as well as the original.  The quickest way to find out what generation your generic is from is to ask a pharmacist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:31:45 AM »
OK. Got the real Xanax now. Split a 1mg in half tonight and the quiet in my head is akin to being in a dark soundproof room. I feel some effects of empathy & caring for people other than myself that I do not feel on PurePac or Greenstone. I am focused outwardly rather than inward. The loud thoughts are suppressed and any psychological state of worry about anything is miles away. If I were to guesstimate, I'd say that I would need 2 1mg PurePacs to equate what is achieved w/ .5 of brand Xanax. The Sandoz alprazolam comes very close, but this mental tranquility has not been felt in a very, very long time.

I envy your copay.

I envy your salary. My health ins. is good, but I am also a blue-collar around the $40k mark.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:27:33 AM »
OK. Got the real Xanax now. Split a 1mg in half tonight and the quiet in my head is akin to being in a dark soundproof room. I feel some effects of empathy & caring for people other than myself that I do not feel on PurePac or Greenstone. I am focused outwardly rather than inward. The loud thoughts are suppressed and any psychological state of worry about anything is miles away. If I were to guesstimate, I'd say that I would need 2 1mg PurePacs to equate what is achieved w/ .5 of brand Xanax. The Sandoz alprazolam comes very close, but this mental tranquility has not been felt in a very, very long time.

I envy your copay.

I envy your salary. My health ins. is good, but I am also a blue-collar around the $40k mark.

Conclusion:  Brand Xanax is awesome.  The brand XR allows me to keep my clarity in tact.

I am not working and have not been for a while.  I worked in sales.  My pay was commission based.  Around 2007, I began to feel the winds of recession, as did all sales reps across the board, from real estate to automotive to banking to lemonade stands.  I think pharmaceuticals continue to be safe.  There are people like us, people with arthritis, people with chronic pain, people with cancer, etc. and we need our drugs.

In Jan 2008, I left my job.  The stress of not bringing home a penny after a day's or week's worth was killing me.  I had a nice amount of savings which I continue live off.  I returned to college in order to get a more stable, less stressful, recession-proof career.

It's is difficult to part with the $8-10K I spend every damn year (even while I was working) on mental health.  Every $400 I withdraw is $400 closer to a zero balance.  I worry about having enough money to get to graduation.  I do not qualify for financial aid nor do I qualify for loans.  You need income or a cosigner for a loan.  I have neither.

We both have our trade offs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:32:10 AM »
My mistake. I saw a post in the Panic Disorder forum where you said you had a 6 figure income. I guess I assumed you still had it.

Can you apply for a state funded insurance program until you start working again?
Bookmark and Share

Offline danstelter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered, as I don't have time to go through 51 pages of threads right now or anytime soon  :bigsmile:. I noticed something tonight and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

I've been taking generic Xanax XR 2mg daily manufactured by Greenstone. I also take an IR 1mg before bed manufactured by PurePac. I have been taking the PurePac IRs for some time now. I also have an OLD little bottle of generic IR Xanax that was filled maybe 4 years ago at an in-clinic pharmacy that I keep in my gym bag just in case.

Tonight was a rough night (some relationship issues ***** play). Even after a vigorous workout, I had that persistent mindframe & general uncomfortable feeling that's usually a precursor to a bad attack. So I split one of these old Sandoz (blue football-shaped) in half. The efficacy between the Sandoz & Purepac was like a night & day comparison. Even sitting here now, a good 3 hours has passed and it feels like I have taken 2 of the PurePacs when I only took .5 of the Sandoz.

To everyone who takes Xanax or it's "generic equivalents", have you tried different manufacturers & found a profound difference in the effectiveness between brands? I was almost tempted to toss these a few times over the last year because I thought they might be too old. Now I may just have to seek out this brand in particular!

This could absolutely be the case...different medications work differently in different people.  One medication can be made much differently, and the same medication can also cause different effects in different people.  If one brand works better for you...stick with it!  I am on a generic Xanax and it works well for me so I am sticking with it!
Bookmark and Share
I am successfully managing my anxiety condition after several year's worth of hard work.  I can help you recover too, and have started my own website, Anxiety Support Network, a comprehensive forum and articles database.

Offline Copper

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 02:55:34 AM »
Yes, it's very common for people to notice big differences in generics. I think they all have the same active drug but they use different fillers. I personally can't say I notice much difference but my experience is limited. Definitely find the best generic for you and stick to it. I take valium and the difference between 30 generics vs brand name is $17 vs $98. I have insurance but I don't want my employer knowing I take benzos so I pay retail.

I've heard Greenstone makes really good generic xanax and that's what I got at Rite-Aide when I was rx'd xanax.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Startgate

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »
Generic brand A vs. generic brand B should have no differences whatsoever. They are all the same exact drug.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
Generic brand A vs. generic brand B should have no differences whatsoever. They are all the same exact drug.

Correct, they all have the same active ingredient.  Their unique fillers and time-release mechanisms seem to affect their performance though.  The people who have responded to this topic are long term users of Xanax.  We do notice differences from manufacturer to manufacturer.  We want to know the "good" generics so that we don't have to pay out-of-pocket brand name prices or high co-pays.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: