Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: I think I got dizziness from a hangover and worried too much and now it's still  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Dat Le

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Here's the whole long story: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112133711

I get anxious when I pay too much attention to my "dizziness" but if I'm calm and relaxed I don't have any dizziness..... it gets worse with worry. How is it possible that mental thoughts can cause physical symptoms?

This has been going on for like 10 days and I've done a lot of research and I've come to the conclusion: I have anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
Well, the good news is you don't have hypochondria....the bad news is any form of anxiety is a pain in the butt.  There's a general anxiety board here that may be more your style.
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline Dat Le

• Poke This Member
I don't have hypochondria? Well I don't know because the more I worry... the more I get dizzy... which makes me worry even MORE because I get scared that something is wrong with me when I'm dizzy..............

If I get really really really anxious and worried I actually get physically dizzy, like it's not all in my mind. It has the power to affect my physical state. How the hell?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Poke This Member
Well, I just read the post you left on the regular anxiety board, and if you'd left that same one here, I would have welcomed you with open arms...lol...it's just VERY rare that someone comes to the boards knowing right away that all the symptoms are from anxiety.

So with that said.....welcome to the HA board.  Now, for a real bit of good news.  You are already steps beyond some of the people here because you KNOW it's anxiety right?  I couldn't come to that point until I started Lexapro. 

Could you copy and paste your message to the general anxiety board here?
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline Dat Le

• Poke This Member
Well, I just read the post you left on the regular anxiety board, and if you'd left that same one here, I would have welcomed you with open arms...lol...it's just VERY rare that someone comes to the boards knowing right away that all the symptoms are from anxiety.

So with that said.....welcome to the HA board.  Now, for a real bit of good news.  You are already steps beyond some of the people here because you KNOW it's anxiety right?  I couldn't come to that point until I started Lexapro. 

Could you copy and paste your message to the general anxiety board here?

Sure, here it is:

Right now I have some silly anxiety that I'm battling... it's hard but I think I can beat it... because the feeling I have is very similar to me when I was in elementary school....

In elementary school, I used to be afraid of AIDS. I would constantly worry about it and check symptoms, like hypochondria. I'd get a nasty feeling in my stomach.

In 6th grade, I went through some hypochondria with my vision and I also experienced an existential crisis: what if everything was a dream? What happens after we die? I'd sometimes break down and cry in front of my friends because I worried so much.

Eventually, I got over all of this....

Right now I'm going through something strange. I got a hangover after drinking, and one of the symptoms was dizziness. I thought I got brain damage and I kept on worrying about it....... so much that it caused me anxiety and now that's what I'm dealing with. It was sort of a traumatic experience.

Any insight?

Is it healthy for me to try to find things to do to "take my mind off" of these things? That just seems like a bandaid solution, but I assume that if I'm constantly busy, it might just go away on its own like it did in the past?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Poke This Member
It's quite possible.  There are lots of people here that have had "remission" type experiences with their HA. 

The problem with that is....Are you actually taking care of the anxiety?  I'm using medication as a bandaid right now.  I'm working on dealing with the root of the problem, but it's so much easier to just cover it up.

The longer we let the roots of the weed go, the stronger it comes back each time.  At your age, I would probably seek some kind of help.  Before the stresses of a full time job and a family come along in 10 or so years.  I'm 32 and have only had this crap for 8 months, but in the worst parts of my anxiety it nearly tore my family apart. 

Recently, I've been told to take myself back to that first panic.  Try and remember what it was that upset me so.  And then picture myself in that same situation, but instead of feeling scared, feeling safe.  Replace the things that I fear with things that I don't.  I'm still working on that one.

In any case, we're a very supportive bunch and the moderators are great here too....someone will always have been where you are now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dat Le

• Poke This Member
Thing is, I don't want this to blow into a big deal. I want it all to just "blow over." I mean, like I said, I've had similar feelings in the past and I've mastered them. Hopefully I can master this one... I can't let it get out of control
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Poke This Member
I would suggest you just keep telling yourself it's anxiety and see what happens.  If you want a quick fix, that might work for you.  I know it's hard to think about the future when you're 21...although I was married at 22 and had a baby at 23...anyway, just don't let it blow over too long.  The anxiety has to be dealt with sooner or later.

You take care of yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline harv

• Poke This Member
Its been about nine years since I've had a bad hangover, and my last one was a doozy, but as I remember, the dizziness at the tail end of a hangover isn't too different from anxiety dizziness.  My guess is you started out with hangover dizziness, which caused you some anxiety which caused anxiety dizziness, and the two blurred together.  

The amount that you drank, while it would ruin the next day for me, isn't really a huge amount for a college student.  Since you don't drink much, I'm not surprized you didn't feel well the next day, but you shouldn't be brain damaged.  I knew a guy in college who once did thirty shots of tequila in one sitting, and survived without brain damage (well, not from the tequila anyway, he was an idiot to begin with)  He also weighed about 220, so I don't recommend normal people trying this.

You might want to go to the doc to see if you hurt your head falling, just in case, but it doesn't seem likely.  You might also want to mention the anxiety.   I don't know how student health centers are about giving things like xanax for anxiety - that seems like abuse waiting to happen, but you can see.  It could confirm that your dizziness is just anxiety.  In the long run though, you'll want to find a way to deal with the anxiety.  I recently started seeing a therapist - something I probably wouldn't have considered at 19, and something I should have done four years ago.  You might have counseling services available for low cost through your university.  I would seriously recommend that you  look into it - you don't have to tell your friends.  Anxiety is no fun, and the sooner you deal with it correctly the better.  I know the young male mentality - I used to be one - but the desire to tough it out on you own is probably not the best option.

BTW, stop drinking Keystone - Ugh!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dat Le

• Poke This Member
How is therapy going to help me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline harv

• Poke This Member
How is therapy going to help me?

It's hard to say for sure without more background information.  Is this the only time you've had dizziness caused by anxiety?  If it is, then maybe its no big deal.  If you have had other instances of anxiety that were bad enough to cause dizziness, that would indicate that you are having problems with anxiety.  Therapy would teach you some skills for dealing with it before it caused physical symptoms like dizziness (although I can't get too specific - I've only been to two sessions so far).

I may have misinterpreted your comments.  I was under the impression that you were frequently having dizziness from anxiety, and that the hangover incident was the most recent.  If its an isolated incident, then you're probably fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dat Le

• Poke This Member
I never get dizzy until now...

I think it is psychological because there are ups and downs.... and those ups and downs are directly related to how anxious I am. If I feel happy, I will feel less dizzy or sometimes not dizzy at all! But then after I wake up the next morning the first thing I do is check my dizziness and if I'm even a little bit off (and I mean TINY bit off), I get anxious and frustrated again.... and it's so little that I'm pretty sure it's hypochondria, or power-of-suggestion...

I'm not 100% sure that it's all psychological because if I was then I wouldn't be having anxiety. There's always that little fear that I have a serious condition and even if I go to a doctor and he says "You're fine" I will still be skeptical because I know doctors make mistakes all the time
Bookmark and Share

Tags: