Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Skin hypersensitivity to clothing, anyone?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline fubar

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Skin hypersensitivity to clothing, anyone?
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:01:31 PM »
I can't stand wearing clothing, when I wear a tank top that is to tight, it feels like llittle bugs crawling under it, and forget pantyhose, thats the worse, does anyone else here have these feelings?  I'm sure my husband wouldn't mind if I ran around naked all day long, but for my neighbors, they would probably think, "shes's lost it for sure!"
Bookmark and Share

Offline bcrazy

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Skin hypersensitivity to clothing, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:46:58 PM »
are you a little clausterphobic? i don't like tight clothes either...esp. turtle necks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fubar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:11:38 AM »
Don't think so, I just can't stand clothing, it feels like bugs crawling under my shirt or pants.  Maybe another MS symptom, I dunno.  Just thought maybe someone else might have these sensastions being there are alot here with MS HA.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Parrotsmuggler

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:18:05 AM »
Hey Fubar, I've been going through crazy MS worries myself and although I haven't experienced this particular symptom, it sounds to me like something that could easily be caused by anxiety. A few weeks ago I was studying for some very tough exams and was under a huge amount of pressure. Needless to say, my eyes and muscles were twitching all the time, I had a slight tremor in my hands, my muscles were tight, and my right foot felt like it was going numb. Of course, these symptoms simply added to my stress, which fuelled the symptoms, and on and on the cycle continued. At some point I began to feel itchy and, predictably, started worrying that this was a sensory disturbance caused by MS. Well, wouldn't you know it, my whole body started to feel itchy...my head, my face, my chest and back, my legs, even my hands and feet. This went on for a few days and went away after I wrote my exams.

I think that one of the reasons why this particular symptom went away so quickly is because I quickly realized that the itchiness could not be caused by MS. You have to look at the physiological changes responsible for MS. As you know, MS is caused by lesions which slowly accumulate in the CNS. The progression, even in primary progressive cases, is quite slow (in comparison to cancer for example). If it weren't, all MS patients would be in a wheelchair in less than a year. Knowing this, I realized that MS would not, all of a sudden, cause itchiness in all parts of my body. It might start off in one hand, then start affecting the other, etc. Over time, as the number of lesions increases, it might be possible for a person with MS to experience itchiness all over, but it wouldn't happen all at once.

This probably applies to your situation as well. When you wear clothes, you get a weird sensation in whatever part of your body is in contact with the clothing. Well, if this were truly an MS symptom, you might get a weird sensation when you put on a pair of pants (for example), but only in one of your legs or in one part of one of your legs. But would you get a strange feeling all over right from the start? I don't think so. I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well because I'm just about ready to pass out, but I hope you get my drift.

Bookmark and Share

roll em

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 04:30:22 AM »
I get this as well mainly in my legs. I'm pretty sure its anxiety driven, ur nerves are overly sensitive as a result of anxiety ( so ur brain is looking for MS nerve symptom) so anything rubbing against the part of ur body is going to feel strange

Parrotsmuggler I see youve also made it off Med Help (hope youre trying to stay away not good for us) and still have the MS issues... me too. Hope your doing OK.

Roll em
Bookmark and Share

Offline fubar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 08:49:54 AM »
Roll em', I have been to Med help also, along with bengalcats, sally 456, parrotsmuggler, and a whole host of people.  Do you really get these feelings also?  It drives me insane, and the more you concentrate on them, the worse they get.  Are you on any meds for your anxiety?  I think I need to start mine again, everyday chores are beginning to get the best of me, and I can no longer concentrate on even a small task.  Take care, and oh, parrotsmuggler, you made a good point, thanks for the encouragement!!!
Bookmark and Share

roll em

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:46:17 PM »
I get itching, tingling on legs and on wrists (oddly enough) no twitching or numbness (thank god) As an aside i've often wondered when people talk about numbness does that actually mean they cant feel a thing or reduced feeling or what?

Not on meds apart from low dosage of St Johns Wort which is okay but I'm trying to get off that too.To be honest i'm not keen reading about side effects but will do if I have to. Not discouraging u.... whatever works.

Better to try and not concentrate on itching.... I know its hard. Ur body is in a heightened state of sensitivity (apparently) which means it picks up feelings etc that normally it would nt.

If u can go a day and ignore it ,no matter how bad it gets, see if u still notice it as much at the end of the day as at the start. I tried it today, and by the end i realised i wasnt noticing it as much so will try and continue

onwards and upwards! (something like that anyway)

Roll em 

Bookmark and Share

Tags: